Late 90s Poulan "Wild Thing" - easy enough to fix?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So here it is. I picked it up from the bums today. They charged me for the purge bulb and replaced lines, about $14. Not a lot of attention to detail, I walked away with it and noticed the fuel cap was missing. It's a 2175 and has a power care bar from Home Despot.

The bums were going to sharpen the chain but it looks rust, no way I want to deal with stuck links and that kind of nonsense. Will check some of the posts here.

Is there a Walbro carb that will work on these? Where do you think I should start besides looking at old threads?

Thanks guys!

Something that would help is if you would get a IPL . A drop of ATF on each rust spot will free up that chain.

4b9e8b70dd4d3e58972a5884e7608e94.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I would hate to see the bill if they did touch it.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
Wasn't bad actually. They told me it needed a tune-up and sharpened chain. They had to replace the primer bulb and fuel lines and charged me $14. $10 for labor and $4 for parts which they did to test it. They never did tell me how much the tune up would have cost.

Sounds like the shop is fair, despite our (my at least) assumptions they were incompetent or crooks. You got a good deal, plus some information.

I take back what I was thinking about them.
Same thoughts as you. $14 out the door is actually pretty good. Even better since none of my local repair shops would even consider touching something like that.

Yeah I did get a pretty sweet deal. Ordered a new gas cap, tuneup kit and a new carb (NIMTEK) just in case. I noticed the throttle adjustments have slotted screws marked "L" and "H". There is also a philips screw above these marked with a small "T". I wonder what this is, does anyone know? Haven't taken it apart yet.

Yeah I did get a pretty sweet deal. Ordered a new gas cap, tuneup kit and a new carb (NIMTEK) just in case. I noticed the throttle adjustments have slotted screws marked "L" and "H". There is also a philips screw above these marked with a small "T". I wonder what this is, does anyone know? Haven't taken it apart yet.

Yes, the T is the idle speed adjustment , the L is the low speed adjustment , the H is the high speed adjustment . Have you cut anything with it ?

Yes, the T is the idle speed adjustment , the L is the low speed adjustment , the H is the high speed adjustment . Have you cut anything with it ?
Thank you! No, I haven't cut anything yet. The chain looks rusted and wrecked. Someone suggested soaking the chain in ATF. Didn't have that on hand but I sprayed with liquid wrench. Bar is okay. Cleaned and greased it. Have a chain coming today and we'll see what happens.

Thank you! No, I haven't cut anything yet. The chain looks rusted and wrecked. Someone suggested soaking the chain in ATF. Didn't have that on hand but I sprayed with liquid wrench. Bar is okay. Cleaned and greased it. Have a chain coming today and we'll see what happens.

Did you get the oil hole and slot from the hole to the bar groove clean ?

Well my bar and new chain came but I see I have bigger fish to fry. Looks like there is a hole in the clutch cover where the tensioner screw/nut is. Going to look for a NOS or aftermarket clutch cover now.

Interestingly enough, this saw does not have a chain brake but all the aftermarket clutch covers that I have seen so far have a chain brake. Is this something that I can retrofit? If it's like my 450 Rancher, there would need to be something on the body of the saw to meet the pivot for the chain brake lever, right? The inside of the original clutch cover is all plastic. The original design of this saw has not a chain brake, but an old fashioned hand guard, attached to handlebar, looks easy enough to remove and it would have to go if I go with the new style clutch cover/chain brake.

1d54e86805a24029e2b068f2aee3847b.jpg

93dcd1a76b8a714e3ad1af528e5deb2d.jpg

I had the same deal. My father in law passed. He's the reason I heat with wood. He had a little green poulan said it was his favorite saw over the bigger ones. No one wanted it in the family because it wasn't worth anything. It was missing parts and didn't run. Since that saw I've rebuilt a couple, one I found on the side of the road. It grows on you and with some mods and a good chain those poulans hold their own.

Well my bar and new chain came but I see I have bigger fish to fry. Looks like there is a hole in the clutch cover where the tensioner screw/nut is. Going to look for a NOS or aftermarket clutch cover now.

Interestingly enough, this saw does not have a chain brake but all the aftermarket clutch covers that I have seen so far have a chain brake. Is this something that I can retrofit? If it's like my 450 Rancher, there would need to be something on the body of the saw to meet the pivot for the chain brake lever, right? The inside of the original clutch cover is all plastic. The original design of this saw has not a chain brake, but an old fashioned hand guard, attached to handlebar, looks easy enough to remove and it would have to go if I go with the new style clutch cover/chain brake.

1d54e86805a24029e2b068f2aee3847b.jpg

93dcd1a76b8a714e3ad1af528e5deb2d.jpg

You could make a request for your wildthing clutch cover chainbrake in the tradin post chainsaw parts forum .

You could make a request for your wildthing clutch cover chainbrake in the tradin post chainsaw parts forum .

Thanks for the great idea! The original Wild Thing didn't come with a chain brake but I would love to add it if possible. Do you think simply adding the newer clutch cover with chain brake is enough? I am wondering if the newer Poulans that have this have some sort of bushing or nut on the other side of the chain brake pivot that mine does not...

It seems that the Type 1-4 did not have a chain brake but the later ones did. I cannot tell from the IPL of Type 5-6 if there is the bushing that I am worried about. The chain brake seems to be free-floating.

https://www.partstree.com/parts/pou...hainsaw/handle-chassis-bar-assembly-type-1-6/

Latest posts

Back