Late 90s Poulan "Wild Thing" - easy enough to fix?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What bushing?

I am expecting a bushing or catch on the chainsaw body side to hold the other end of 2175 chain brake "axis" (Where it pivots) on the clutch cover. According to the IPL, though, there doesn't seem to be any.

Thanks for the great idea! The original Wild Thing didn't come with a chain brake but I would love to add it if possible. Do you think simply adding the newer clutch cover with chain brake is enough? I am wondering if the newer Poulans that have this have some sort of bushing or nut on the other side of the chain brake pivot that mine does not...

It seems that the Type 1-4 did not have a chain brake but the later ones did. I cannot tell from the IPL of Type 5-6 if there is the bushing that I am worried about. The chain brake seems to be free-floating.

https://www.partstree.com/parts/pou...hainsaw/handle-chassis-bar-assembly-type-1-6/
The pivot is built into the clutch cover .

Okay so the clutch cover is coming. Got a new carb, plan to rebuild the old one, got new plug, air and gas filters.

I heard it is damaging to run a saw with no blade and chain, do you find this to be true?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Okay so the clutch cover is coming. Got a new carb, plan to rebuild the old one, got new plug, air and gas filters.

I heard it is damaging to run a saw with no blade and chain, do you find this to be true?

Yes, you are not supposed to run a saw w/o a bar+chain. It allows the saw to reach much higher rpms with throttle and is hard on the clutch assembly.

Thanks for the candid replies, gents! It's a moot point, my clutch cover arrived today and it looks like it will work! I just need to remove the old-style "wrist" guard that is bolted to the handlebar.

Well I did something stupid. I assumed that the shop had connected all the lines. Poured some gas into the fuel tank and it leaked through the other side. It was leaking quite fast, would the absence of a line account for this or is the tank likely cracked? Plug was also loose. Surprised how clean the carb looks after nearly 20 years given how filthy the rest of the saw is.

Will watch some videos on how to take out the carb. I've got a new one. I have some carb cleaner so I'll take the old walbro out and get a kit. Any recommendations?

Sorry for the noob questions, I won't be able to work on it until the weekend.

On the bright side, the new gas cap fits great, as does the clutch cover/chain brake.

ade0b705aee161b7a1d17bc79ad83793.jpg
31910fdb70aaad39f1a556f7422c2f4d.jpg

Top pic - The tank hole below the brass nipple is where the line from the long purge bulb tube goes - fuel returns to tank. The fuel supply tank hole is below carb, near yellow kill wire. Clean outside carb really doesn't tell you much - could be varnish, dirt and stiff diaphragms inside. I never rebuild carbs on these Poulans when a new carb is $8.

Thank you very much! That explains a lot! I'm hoppimg that this was the source of the keak. Have I damaged anything in spilling gas and oil inside the saw? I have a tuneup kit, I'm guessing one line is thicker than the other (fuel supply from tank). What actually seals where the line meets the hole in the tank? The wall of the line itself or is there some sort of gasket? I will just replace the carb with the new Chinese one I have but later I'll rebuild the original Walbro so I can know how to do it.

No, you haven't hurt anything spilling fuel mix. The thinner line is the fuel supply line. it goes in the hole near yellow kill wire. It compresses some to seal hole. Inside the fuel tank, the fuel pickup/filter is attached to this line. This goes to brass nipple closer to fuel pump-big center screw side. It may be smaller diameter nipple, too. On some carbs, purge return and fuel supply nipples are on the same side. - the fuel supply nipple is always closer to big center screw side.

Above is the intended way to do these fuel lines. But I HATE the tiny .08" x .14" fuel supply line. So, I drill tank hole near kill wire with 11/64" bit and use 3/32" fuel line on both purge and supply circuits.

I just fixed 5 of these type saws today and yesterday. This thread is beginning to be entertaining

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

I fixed one myself yesterday. New lines, cleaned carb, new chain. She runs great.

Okay the old Walbro in the previous images had both nipples on the right hand side (looking down the bar while holding saw).

OK I posted a bunch of gibberish before. This video makes it clear to me:

I know I'm a bubba without the bubba skills... I will go watch a few more YT videos.

Hope I'm making some of you chuckle at least. :D

So the line connected to this nipple crosses over and goes through the fuel supply hole near the kill wire and linkage. Right? (IOW not the hole pictured in the same pic, which I believe is the fuel return hole)
e2a396642f00617852b5077619e9d029.jpg

And the line that connects to the bent nipple below goes to one end of the purge bulb and the other end of the purge bulb crosses over and goes to the hole on the right side of the saw, which is the return. Right? (Also, not in the whole shown in this pic, which I believe is the fuel supply hole)

6d43e0bae331884e748f7db6ea10aa79.jpg

I just redid mine. If I were at home, I'd pull the air filter and snap a pic.

If no one gets to it first, I'll be home shortly and will do just that.

Latest posts

Back