Latest from Stihl......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keith c raymond

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
We in the water utility where I am employed were in the market for a new cutoff-demo saw. We usually go for Husky or Stihl,depending on cost through bids.We came upon a price for a Stihl TS-420 that was better than every bodies bid from a reputable dealer.I thought at first that the sales man got the numbers messed up and that he meant a TS400.No ,he said ,this is a brand new type from Stihl.I said no way,dude,Its not even on the website,I checked.He said to take a cup of shut the f&*( up,and come down to the stealership to take a look.I walked in and he had a TS-400 in his hand.I said ha,gotsha.I then looked and saw a cool looking saw called a TS420.A swoopy ,looking thing .It looks like the new TS700s little brother.It has the new air filteration,a easier choke switch,a squeeze bulb for easier starts,and a shorter overall length which is great for us when we have to cut under pipe in excavations.It also has a magnesium blade guard which has a integrated handle/wet system,instead on the conventional tube ,which never lasted long.The big thing for me is the ergonomics of the saw,it actually feels more handy,almost lighter.the handles are a little closer together,that is probably why.It has the famous Stihl fit and finish,which is starting to impress me more and more.We have the first one "on the street"for the State,so I will keep all up to speed on how it is holding up.This might not be a good thread for the forum,and If it gets booted,thats ok.But it is quite a piece of work for Stihl,and it really looks like they have listened and done their home work on this,you have to wonder what is next.I dont know if it will be on their Site or not,maybe some Dealers could chime in.Thanks for listening:greenchainsaw:

Looks I already understand, Splain' this "Stratocharged" bit to me.
:chainsawguy:

Fresh air, which flows into the cylinder from the innovative air inlet port, expels the burnt gas so the mixture gas isn't depleted and is used effectively for the next combustion cycle. The newly designed combustion chamber and spark plug positioning ensure highly stable combustion without miss-firing and clean exhaust at 1/3 of the previous level. This new engine is named "Strato-charged™ engine" after the Zenoah original stratified scavenging engine without a catalytic converter.

On Poulans...it means "engine death":bang:

Think of a small 2nd Ventrical on the carb that allows a rush of fresh AIR to quickly rush across the cylinder and poof all the exhaust away, letting only a charge of fresh fuel and air be burnt in the next cycle...Problem on the poulans Ive see is that you are adding more AIR to the cylinder, buy not more fuel, thusly causing a lean condition.

IVe got 2 stratocharged Poulan wildthings that I doubt have 2 tanks run through em with the pistons so melted you cant find the ring....:jawdrop:

I am looking to part with a couple of seldom used saws to pickup a 361 or 441.Im enthused with the progress Stihl is making on their products.I have a bunch of Huskys as you can see,and I am very happy with them,But looking to round out the family a bit,you see.:) The TS 700 and 800 were too big for us in our application,but this 420 looks like the real deal,plus the air intake is not in a position to get a drink in a wet bottom excavation.:cry: That make for a long pull session.

Red?

I'm curious about something and no pun intended. Of all the saws in the entire world, why have you chosen the Wild Thing to repeatedly expound the virtues of? Is there no better saw that you've come across that merits the attention that you've allocated for the Wild Thing. You've obviously had good experience with yours, however, the saw clearly has its limitations...have you yet to move beyond the saws limitations...if you have, what saw do you fall back on next? Again, I have no interest in sniping you...I'm just curious?

Best Regards,
OLY-JIM

I'm curious about something and no pun intended. Of all the saws in the entire world, why have you chosen the Wild Thing to repeatedly expound the virtues of? Is there no better saw that you've come across that merits the attention that you've allocated for the Wild Thing. You've obviously had good experience with yours, however, the saw clearly has its limitations...have you yet to move beyond the saws limitations...if you have, what saw do you fall back on next? Again, I have no interest in sniping you...I'm just curious?

Best Regards,
OLY-JIM

Honestly, years ago when I was a saw noob, people told me the wild thing was the biggest pile in the saw world.

When i was in Small engine school, a student brought his neighbors in for repair. it was still in the case, had never been started, but had gas in it. The owner was never able to make it start, and deemed it broken.

The student primed, choked, pulled pulled, pulled, choked, primed, Pulled, Pulled...he then deemed it to be living up to its name.

He offered to sell it, the case, the new spare chain, the bottle of mix oil, and everything for 35 dollars.

I about broke my arm getting to my wallet.

I took the saw, put it on the floor, Held it wide open, and in a few pulls had it running. I tuned it rich and took it home that night. I cut some firewood with it, about 2 tanks worth. Then I leaned it out for speed and power.

The chain stays tight, the oiler works, the saw starts right up every time, its light, its pretty quiet, and the vibration is mild.

Its got great power, although Ive never had the bar buried in hardwood, Ive cut up some pretty impressive Pine and oak, and power has never been a problem.

Ive never used it and had it fail, honestly. But if it did fail, id probably reach for the ECHO CS-520, or whatever was closest to the front door of the shed.

Before I graduated, I took the W/T back up to school to clean it up, which I do religiously after I use any of my saws. The student who sold it to me asked if he could borrow it. I said fine, he comes back the next day cursing it, how it wouldnt start. I flipped the switch, set the throttle, pulled the choke and it fired on one pull. He threw his hands down and walked away.

I pulled the muffler off recently and noted 0 scuffing on the piston, and no apparent wear on the cylinder.

YET, I have 5 (5 gallon) buckets full of burnt up wild things with much less use than mine.

Maybe mine is a factory freak, maybe its how I broke it in...maybe its how I care for it? I dunno, but its never given me a single solitary reason to think badly of it. Now, honestly, if it was a total pile, why on Gods green Earth would I back it up?

Red

Like I said, I was just curious...now I understand what position you're coming from. Thanks for the reply!

Back