Leaf blower specs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry guys...my SH-85 (the shredder-vac model of the BG-85) is just value-engineered junk.

Starting with the vacuum tube--it's undersized for the fitting, and the blower vibrates so incredibly badly, the tube falls right out. Never takes more than about 30 - 45 seconds. I have to duct tape it on in order to make it stay put.

The blower starts fine, but has to be continually nursed in order to idle until it is well warmed up, and even then it idles poorly. Been adjusted twice now by the dealer, he says "They're all that way."

It accelerates very poorly as well. And have I mentioned the vibration? Even wearing anti-vibe gloves, it is seriously, seriously uncomfortable after roughly three to four minutes. My hands will just sit there and buzz for an hour afterwards. I used it to vacuum/shred some leaves last week...ran it for roughly thirty minutes. My hands hurt so badly that simply tapping one finger against another shot pins and needles up my arm.

And I was warned about this, but the bag is much to small to do any real leaf collection at all. I was constantly emptying the bag, and the Stihl value-engineers didn't see fit to putting a decent-sized slider on the zipper, so you have to take off your gloves to empty the bag.

My electric Toro beats the Stihl in every single way except the part where I have to plug it in. Then again, it is a Toro, and I would expect that to be higher quality than the Stihl.

Stay away from the BG-85...it's junk.

let me guess. You bought it new, it was like that from the begining and you're living with it? lololol

p.s. - your dealer if full of it if he maintains "they are all like that"..'cos they aren't... more to the point.. why do you believe him? You don't seem to be the type of guy that just rolls over.. :popcorn:

Last edited:
How long do you plan on using the blower at a time?

Used a handheld one season to move leaves...took awhile. Got the 420 Magnum and difference was night and day, never again a handheld, upgraded to the BR600 and never looked back. I know there are a few others that compete or slightly :) surpass the 600 but the 4-Mix is a super engine and worth every penny. Was hard to throw down the extra $$ for it but in the end I have more time for other things...and it moves some serious leaves.

The BG85 and BG55 are pretty much the same, its just the 85 has a better throttle control and due to it having a slightly larger exhaust exit its more powerful. Get the bg55 for less, grind the tip off the exhaust and retune and you basically have the same blower as the 85, at least thats what I do.

Last edited:
I got a bg85 and love it, no other hand held blower can compete. It is a low hour blower and is fer sale. I gots to have a br600:jawdrop: :jawdrop:

The Shindaiwa EB3410 is the most powerful handheld blower available today.

The EBZ 7100 I don't think so, the EBZ8001 maybe. I had a BR 600 and it was on par or stronger than a EBZ8001, and my Shindaiwa EB8510 is every bit as strong as the BR600.

Oh yeah, the EB8510 blows out 762CFM at the nozzle vs. 712 (BR600). Not a ton of difference but still makes the EB8510 the most powerful backpack on the market.

The Shindaiwa EB3410 is the most powerful handheld blower available today.

How much do they run and can they be converted to a shredder vac?

I figured the bag on any model would be too small for any serious leaf collection. I already had envisioned a flexible tube kinda like oversize dryer vent going to a larger container like a lawn mower trailer. Build up the sides to about 3 feet, add a top with a fine screen and there's your collection bin. Blow the leaves into a pile, switch to vac and pull the lawn mower up to the pile.

I don't know why I'm looking at blower vacs. I almost never have to rake leaves as I have very few trees of any size in my yard back home. I'm down at my mom's for thanksgiving in Ga and have been blowing leaves this weekend with an old Mac electric blower that's been around for a long time. I was wishing for a vac after I got them into piles. I tried to blow some wet grass clippings once with a buddy's BG55 and it just didn't have the nads to do much. I can't imagine trying to vac them, altho that would be something that would be useful back home.

Ian

Last edited:
Sorry guys...my SH-85 (the shredder-vac model of the BG-85) is just value-engineered junk.

Starting with the vacuum tube--it's undersized for the fitting, and the blower vibrates so incredibly badly, the tube falls right out. Never takes more than about 30 - 45 seconds. I have to duct tape it on in order to make it stay put.

The blower starts fine, but has to be continually nursed in order to idle until it is well warmed up, and even then it idles poorly. Been adjusted twice now by the dealer, he says "They're all that way."

It accelerates very poorly as well. And have I mentioned the vibration? Even wearing anti-vibe gloves, it is seriously, seriously uncomfortable after roughly three to four minutes. My hands will just sit there and buzz for an hour afterwards. I used it to vacuum/shred some leaves last week...ran it for roughly thirty minutes. My hands hurt so badly that simply tapping one finger against another shot pins and needles up my arm.

And I was warned about this, but the bag is much to small to do any real leaf collection at all. I was constantly emptying the bag, and the Stihl value-engineers didn't see fit to putting a decent-sized slider on the zipper, so you have to take off your gloves to empty the bag.

My electric Toro beats the Stihl in every single way except the part where I have to plug it in. Then again, it is a Toro, and I would expect that to be higher quality than the Stihl.

Stay away from the BG-85...it's junk.

I have never had any of these problems, most I have ever run it at one time
is 4 tanks of fuel, only stopping to refuel. Haven't bagged that much, but if
bag held more it would get to heavy, if you fill the bag it's heavy!
I do wear gloves and never had any problems with my hands.

No conversion to shredder on these.
MSRP = $279.99

How much do they run and can they be converted to a shredder vac?

I figured the bag on any model would be too small for any serious leaf collection. I already had envisioned a flexible tube kinda like oversize dryer vent going to a larger container like a lawn mower trailer. Build up the sides to about 3 feet, add a top with a fine screen and there's your collection bin. Blow the leaves into a pile, switch to vac and pull the lawn mower up to the pile.

I don't know why I'm looking at blower vacs. I almost never have to rake leaves as I have very few trees of any size in my yard back home. I'm down at my mom's for thanksgiving in Ga and have been blowing leaves this weekend with an old Mac electric blower that's been around for a long time. I was wishing for a vac after I got them into piles. I tried to blow some wet grass clippings once with a buddy's BG55 and it just didn't have the nads to do much. I can't imagine trying to vac them, altho that would be something that would be useful back home.

Ian

BG 55 vs BG85

Thanks for bringing the up. Unless some the Stihl experts here can honestly dispell the myth, It does certainly appear that Stihl is engaging a stump the consumer marketing folly on this one. Or, maybe these mods to the 85 are worth the added $100-$150?

>>85 has slightly larger exhaust exit which makes its more powerful

So that's it? What exactly do you mean by grind the tip off the exhaust? Does that mean enlarge the exhaust exit similar to chainsaw muffler modding?

I also bought the BG 55 after considering the specs, and retail cost of both and surmised they are exactly the same unit except for the ergo and convenience features built on to the BG 85 and could just not understand or agree that the added cost would equate to more value or a more powerful unit.

The BG85 and BG55 are pretty much the same, its just the 85 has a better throttle control and due to it having a slightly larger exhaust exit its more powerful. Get the bg55 for less, grind the tip off the exhaust and retune and you basically have the same blower as the 85, at least thats what I do.

In my checking out the different handheld blowers by the different company's, I have noticed that Husky and Echo have blowers that supposedly eliminate the "torque" or "twist" of handheld blowers (twisting to the right or left under full power). Is that hype? Is there that much twist on regular handhelds, as in the Stihls (or any of the others)?

Kevin

In my checking out the different handheld blowers by the different company's, I have noticed that Husky and Echo have blowers that supposedly eliminate the "torque" or "twist" of handheld blowers (twisting to the right or left under full power). Is that hype? Is there that much twist on regular handhelds, as in the Stihls (or any of the others)?

Kevin

lololol... you know they are scratching at the bottom of the barrel if that's all they can come up with!

The BG 55, 65 and 85 all share the same engine. No, there definitely not more than $5 difference in manf cost bewteen the 3, but that's pretty common with all "same family" devices. Does it REALLY cost that much more to make an 440 than 260 (a little)? or a BR340 to a $420 (zero), or an 290, 310 or 390 (close to zero)? na... it's what the market will bear. Stihl or the dealer isn't making squat on the BG55 at $139 MSRP..

As for the differences... wish it was as simple as just changing the muffler screen insert (oh - it unscrews, so real easy to "port" the muffler), but the fan casing (entire support body) is different on the BG85. Once they (55,65,85) spin at 6800-7200, you aren't going to get any more air out of them without design changes.

Me? I hate hand-helds of any brand (except on my roof), but I do have a big property. I'm getting the "to be announced" turbine blower attachment for the KM units (early next year?). From the pics it looks about 16 inches long, 4 inches in diameter, and mounts right on the KM connector. On a KM55 it has the performance of the BG85, and on a KM130 it has the same performance as a BR550... or so they say.. ($129 msrp..)

Last edited:
lololol... you know they are scratching at the bottom of the barrel if that's all they can come up with!

Easy now, I was just asking...:)

The BG 55, 65 and 85 all share the same engine. No, there definitely not more than $5 differnce in manf cost bewteen the 3, but that's pretty common with all "same family" devics. Does it REALLY cost that much more to make an 440 than 260 (a little)? or a BR340 to a $420 (zero), or an 290, 310 or 390 (close to zero)? na... it's what the market will bear. Stihl or the dealer isn't making squat on the BG55 at $139 MSRP..

As for the differences... wish it was as simple as just changing the muffler screen insert (oh - it unscrews, so real easy to "port" the muffler), but the fan casing (entire support body) is different on the BG85. Once they (55,65,85) spin at 6800-7200, you aren't going to get any more air out of them without design changes.

Me? I hate hand helds of any brand (except on my roof), but I do have a big property. I'm getting the "to be announced" turbine blower attachment for the KM units (early next year?). From the pics it looks about 16 inches long, 4 inches in diameter, and mounts right on the KM connector. On a KM55 it has the performance of the BG85, and on a KM130 it has the same performance as a BR550... or so they say.. ($129 msrp..)

I have a small property and a small wallet. Would love a good backpack blower, but not yet. Good info on the differences between the 3 Stihls.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back