leaner, what did I do wrong??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am no expert but I have fell a lot of trees. I NEVER drop one without a rope if there is anyway it can hit something of value regardless of how sure I am of myself and I have driven stakes I placed in the ground as where I expected the trunk to land.

Methods I have used, tree between power lines and barn. I have to drop it in a 10 foot area. Tree was around 50-55 ft tall. Limbs mostly at the top. I climbed it with a hunters climbing tree stand and put my rope above the center. Notched it and pulled it over.

No limbs except at the top? I tied kite string on an arrow and shot the arrow over the top of the tree. Used the kite string to pull a rope up there.

I normally use an old horseshoe tied to a rope. I swing the horseshoe around on about a 2-3 lead and hurl it up there. I can easily toss one 30-40 feet that way.

Another thing is wind. If there is any chance the wind will change and catch me off guard I rope it.

Leaners are always roped unless I am falling into the lean.

You can never be too careful. I had a huge pine tied off to a tractor, notched it, back cut it what I thought was not too much, walked to the tractor to pull it over and it fell at my heels with a big whoosh! That was my lucky day and since I never walk in the fall line, NEVER!

I am no expert but I have fell a lot of trees. I NEVER drop one without a rope if there is anyway it can hit something of value regardless of how sure I am of myself and I have driven stakes I placed in the ground as where I expected the trunk to land.

Methods I have used, tree between power lines and barn. I have to drop it in a 10 foot area. Tree was around 50-55 ft tall. Limbs mostly at the top. I climbed it with a hunters climbing tree stand and put my rope above the center. Notched it and pulled it over.

No limbs except at the top? I tied kite string on an arrow and shot the arrow over the top of the tree. Used the kite string to pull a rope up there.

I normally use an old horseshoe tied to a rope. I swing the horseshoe around on about a 2-3 lead and hurl it up there. I can easily toss one 30-40 feet that way.

Another thing is wind. If there is any chance the wind will change and catch me off guard I rope it.

Leaners are always roped unless I am falling into the lean.

You can never be too careful. I had a huge pine tied off to a tractor, notched it, back cut it what I thought was not too much, walked to the tractor to pull it over and it fell at my heels with a big whoosh! That was my lucky day and since I never walk in the fall line, NEVER!

Ok purp just out of curiosity were you doing this for hire or just on your property?
1 It is illegal and punishable by law for non qualified tree trimmers to work on a tree within 10 foot of any energized conductor,fixture or apparatus. It is good you put ropes into the tree but you already said your no expert in this business there are many who are who have been killed and not by being stupid but by mistake and even sometimes freak accidents of which nothing but staying in bed would cure. This is a professional forum I am not bashing you I am merely pointing out the fact that you are flirting with personal injury,death and even legal issues by doing work the way your describing. I know this work is alluring so what I strongly suggest is you get a job under someone who knows this business and learn it right before you become the next fatality.

Now where is the fun in that, got to roll the dice sometimes. Just to know your still alive.:cheers:

Ok purp just out of curiosity were you doing this for hire or just on your property?
1 It is illegal and punishable by law for non qualified tree trimmers to work on a tree within 10 foot of any energized conductor,fixture or apparatus. It is good you put ropes into the tree but you already said your no expert in this business there are many who are who have been killed and not by being stupid but by mistake and even sometimes freak accidents of which nothing but staying in bed would cure. This is a professional forum I am not bashing you I am merely pointing out the fact that you are flirting with personal injury,death and even legal issues by doing work the way your describing. I know this work is alluring so what I strongly suggest is you get a job under someone who knows this business and learn it right before you become the next fatality.

Rope, maybe I need to clarify. I don't proclaim to be an expert. I had some good laughs watching the so called experts and their antics sometimes.

We have no such laws down here. Maybe it is to protect the stupid? Yep, seen the professionals killed also.

I don't hire out I have a job already thanks. Was not on my property BTW. we do what we have to do down here.

I once drove a stake into the ground, to mark where the tree was going to hit, and punctured a waterline.

I got my overgrown Christmas tree to land between the rock and the rotting cedar fence! My friend's eyes and mouth gaped wide open, cuz it actually went close to where I said it would go. The powerline was underground and I missed hitting the dog. Does that count? :biggrinbounce2: ;)

I got my overgrown Christmas tree to land between the rock and the rotting cedar fence! My friend's eyes and mouth gaped wide open, cuz it actually went close to where I said it would go. The powerline was underground and I missed hitting the dog. Does that count? :biggrinbounce2: ;)

Yes, dear.

Well lets see, was the power-line more than 10 feet away? lol Stupid dogs always seem to dash right into where the tree is going to fall. Think they have a death wish?

Thank-you honey. :biggrinbounce2:

Hey Purple, Don't be calling my dog stupid!!!! That's not a nice thing to do.

lololol Wasn't calling yours stupid, calling mine stupid. Both of my labs answer to goofy or stupid $hit. lol

Back