Leaning Maple, Joined to Others

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmarsh

Reaction score
I live in the Chicago area and have three maple trees, 40' high, that have joined together at their base - probably they were three separate trees when smaller that joined together as they grew.
The Problem: One of the trunks is at a 75-80 degree to vertical. I'm afraid it may land on the neighbor's house with high wind or snow.
Can it be removed safely without endangering the two remaining, which are vertical? Can it be cabled to the others? Any thoughts are most welcome. Thanks!!

I'd be more inclined to cabling them together rather than removing one. Removal of one lead on a triple-leader tree often causes decay in the remaining trunks, especially on a maple tree. As Jay said, get an arborist to look at it.

Judiciouse thinning of the outer canopy to reduce weight.

The tree has been there for all this time so it is adapted to its site.

The first rule of failure risk annalysis is that any tree can fail! Pruning bracing and cabling will change the dynamics it has developed with over the years. This is why one gets a reputable arborist to do the work.

Back