Leaning Tree Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob, although I've only done this a few times, it's just a variation of refalling a tree.
Fully driven wedges as you know dont always commit the tree over, so starting a new undercut and backcut with wedges above the first one will put it over.
The only danger other than a stiff wind, is vertical spitting from the second to the first undercut if the second undercut is not high enough above the first one.
When I get back in the bush I'll do a vid if I can find the ideal stem.
Other than refalling the tree, it's all that can be resorted to, as opposed to trying to get the driven wedges out of the first undercut.
Other than that, backing into the tree with the log arch of skidder seems to smarten it up too.
John

I use the wedge to keep the bar from getting pinched. Remember if the wind blows the wedge can fall out, as the tree starts forward out it comes only to have the wind bring the tree back with no wedge. If the tree has a back lean and the wedge falls out as described the saw gets pinched, the hinge breaks and major damage may occur. The wedge is no guarantee. If the tree has a back lean and you attempt to use a wedge to lift, while pounding you can break the hinge.

Back