Learning to climb and having trouble.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, I'm just starting out on my tree climbing and I have this problem where I'm climbing up about 30-40ft. Before I reach the first limb. I freeze up and get really nervous for some reason.[...].

Newish to climbing too, I faced and regularly am facing these same things (the terror, not Dad).

I found it really useful both for my technical knowledge, my vision of future steps, and my nerves to have slow conversations with myself. I'm fortunately not needing to be productive, so I can spend all the time in the world getting it right (and that's important). What exactly do I *want* to happen, what could go wrong, what's another way of doing it... . What is it that you're really freezing about? That you'll plummet to your death? That you'll swing free of the tree and be stuck there, or the like? (I'm assuming you're roped in, not just climbing on spikes and flipline, right?) If so respect your Keep-Me-Alive signal and either reason thru that it won't happen, that it's not even close to the end of the world, or figure out what to do to make it not happen.

And climb a bunch. Go up to the limb and think about it some and come down for the day or until you get the right suchNsuch for the move you need to make. Up and Down. Comfort with the basics and a bit of muscle tone in those recently discovered muscles helps tremendously. You'll be able to perform that crotch pass fresh instead of already spent.

Check every component, position and state, over and over. If you go thru the litany of every single thing that keeps you alive, you'll have convinced yourself anew that you're safe trusting it. Harness? End biner? Rope? Tie In Point? Friction knot and biner? Go back to basics. If you discover today that you're 10' up and didn't check your rig yet, have a conversation with yourself and figure out how that's never going to happen again.

In near hindsight, I see a lot of my early climbs up the same tree were a WHOLE lot more difficult and angstful because I didn't see obvious simple things, like that I could scootch around the other side of the tree to reach the other end of a 2nd lanyard (dooh).

2nd lanyard--Definitely have one. I heard from reading someone around here that a *LONG* 2nd lanyard is a very nice thing to have; they're right!

Practice kicking out??! How about don't and say you did?

The high stress approach of your Dad doesn't seem to be right. Maybe practice with another mentor?

My wife told me before I buy any more equipment she would like to see me climb a big tree in the backyard. So I spiked up the tree with my lanyard and safe line
And got to the first crotch about 30 feet up only to realize it was about 5 feet across the trunk up there still!
I tide my safety line in over the crotch and repelled down!

Hope you don't plan on keeping that yard tree for long. Spiking is bad for trees. You should only spike trees that are being removed.

Hope you don't plan on keeping that yard tree for long. Spiking is bad for trees. You should only spike trees that are being removed.

While spiking a tree gives lots of opportunity for fungal infection and long term damage to the tree, let us not overstate the damage and timeframe the damage affects the tree. Spiking the tree does not mean it will die in the next 6 months. It will take several years before the effects of spiking begins to cause significant damage to the tree.

Younger, vigourous trees, can overcome spiking through CODIT. I'm not condoning the practice, rather putting its effects into perspective.

I don't know if you still need any advice.
I am a newbie too, so the pain of learning is very fresh.
I had a big fear of spiking-out too. To overcome it I double wrapped the tree just couple feet of the ground and purposely gaffed-out both legs at once without holding the lanyard. I slammed against the tree with my chest. It was not a pleasant epxerience, but gave me some confidence that is not terrible. For a while I was climbing up with a double wrapped rope. Today I developed enough muscle tone to feel more comfortable. I ocassionaly gaff-out with one leg, and it does not feel bad at all.
As far as the height you just need to leave the comfort zone and go up just couple feet more. Don't force yourself too much, though. I bit of stress is OK, but a big discomfort impairs judgement and leads to errors. Sometimes just try to do it another day.
I try to cut only few limbs when going up. The tree swings less, the lanyard will not slide down, and the branches below ease the fear of height.

You can't learn to drive on the internet, and guess what, you can't learn to climb hereb either. What you don't know will kill you, and you aren't even asking the right questions.
...so what questions should be asked?
Well, I learn from the internet and Jerry Beranek's DVDs. I don't say it is the best way of doing. I understand benefits of a good instructor.
The Tree Climbers International charges about 12 hundred bucks for 5 day spikeless climbing course. You need yet cover the hotel.
If you have a budget for it that is fine. It is also better to go through a costly health exam every year, but we usually don't buy the most expensive health coverage either. Taking chances here and there is just a part of life.
The 5 day training is still a very begining of learning. Like with a car driving you still are nervous and sweating after the course.
I believe having a good mentor is hundred times better than a few days with an instructor if you can't have both.
You, experienced guys, have great advice for us. It is our part to appreciate it and use it responsibly.

practice that throwball.
of course it's hard to get your throwball over a limb sometimes.
the throwball is a cursed thing.. it's why i sacrifice to the throwball gods.
practice practice.
it's a massive pain in the rear but having a climbline set and tested from the ground always makes me feel much better.
your pop is old school so he'll probably think you're just goofing off but ignore that.
getting good with a throwball is important.

how much does your throwball weigh?

a 10oz will get your line up high but can let you down by not coming down..
a 12oz will be a good overall for 50' or so..

I use a sling shot for very high crotches. I shoot a fishing line with a lead weight. If I miss I wind the line back on the spool. Once it is on the desired place I attache the throw line.
In a long run the BigShot or a good crossbow is a way to go.
A helmet, gloves and eye/face protection is a must with this game.

Practice with the throwline and setting your climbing line. You can wrap your lanyard around the tree, WITHOUT your spikes, put your feet against the tree and lean back on the lanyard and set yourself into your climbing line. Use the hip thrust method and advance your lanyard and climbing line accordingly to keep your comfort where it may be. Set into your climbing line and unclip your lanyard to progress past limbs. I highly recommend becoming very comfortable with this method before spikes come into play. Good luck and post your progress.

I started with spikes right away and now I find myself to much depending on them.
I think it delays learning how to balance in a tree and developing strong arms.
To climb trees one has to be well fit. I found this to be a great gym.

Practice with the throwline and setting your climbing line. You can wrap your lanyard around the tree, WITHOUT your spikes, put your feet against the tree and lean back on the lanyard and set yourself into your climbing line. Use the hip thrust method and advance your lanyard and climbing line accordingly to keep your comfort where it may be. Set into your climbing line and unclip your lanyard to progress past limbs. I highly recommend becoming very comfortable with this method before spikes come into play. Good luck and post your progress.

That's exactly what I am referring to. Bringing out the spikes on day one is too much. You need to learn rope climbing first, before you bring a chainsaw up even. Putting too much on the table at once is bad in my opinion. Upper body strength is important but you should not have to rely on your biceps to lift and hold your body as you climb, this is why I stated hip thrusting in my previous reply.

I am a line Clearence Foreman journeyman(aka apprentice trainer). our company policy states that we must ladder up ..climb to the top of the ladder ...use a double Length pruner(18') to set our first tie in. climb to that tie in ..lanyard in and start the process over again.or when you reach your first tie in pull up your tail and tie in again as high as your pruner reachs with your tail therefore you are always tied in....the experience Of spiking trees always comes after the experience of being in a tree!!!!Safely!!!! PS choose a dominant strong crotch not a branch,,

choose a dominant strong crotch not a branch
This raises a big question for us, newbies. How do you judge safety of the chosen crotch? What would be thikness of the fork (be it a an oak or a maple)?
It is not a big deal if you spike out and the lanyard or the safety line will hold you. However, if you ascend on a climbing rope and the anchor crotch fails it almost certainly will end tragically.

Here is my recent anchoring crotch. In order to avoid cutting above my head I climbed above the safety line and attached two lanyards (one to each half of the fork). The two limbs were 5" thick each. For all the canopy work I used only a hand saw.
Could you guys elaborate if it was safe and what should be done if it was dangerous?
P.S. I feel more intimidated by watching these pictures than when I was up there.

lean-8_r.jpg
vlcsnap-2014-07-28-13h47m27s46.png

vlcsnap-2014-07-28-13h38m21s85.png

Back