learning to climb on gaffs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my girlfriend has one, i just can't get the pic's shrunk to postem:(
if i can't figure it out soon i'll send them to brain and let him shrink them:D

I don't have a digital camera, but I have my pics put on floppy disc when I get them developed. An extra $8 or so at Walgreen's.

E-mail the pictures to me, I'll shrink them and send them back to you. I should be able to figure that out....I'm the webmaster for 19 websites.
spinrhead.gif

Nickrosis

cool thanks nick, 70' what a thrill!!!!!! went to 70' in an oak today, not on gaffs but still!! took a little getting used to but after that i was fine. just kept my mind on what i was doing and its all good:D

You need to turn one of your ranting vid streams into an Avatar. The we can have the real Butch Bellows nodding his head and wavin his (index) finger around:D

the only way you will conquer your fears is to get some work with a good crew ,watch and learn from them .then you have ago .but nobody likes spikeing that much although they may do it 2 or3 times a week..but honestly try and get with a good crew..if there are no jobs avalable ask them if you can come and help out on a job or 2 show willing and youll soon get work this is the best way to learn:D..and once youve seen it done learned etc..you will feel a lot more confident

Last edited:
Originally posted by Ryan Willock
i trust my gear but still have a problem w/ the hight.:

There is nothing wrong with having a healthy appreciation for height. It is all the positive mental image you cultivate in carrying out the activity, and practice and familiarity with your gear should make you more reassured. The number of times I have looked straight down from two miles up and asked myself exactly why I was about to volunteer to leave a perfectly serviceable aircraft I could not begin to count.

I do to, as long as I'm tied in.

I'ts funny for me on a rock face. If im on a ledge secured it's cool. If I dont have the tie in I get a little stressed:D

I think a good way to get over your fear of heights is fall a couple of times from a good 30 feet or so. It did me good. I don't worry so much knowing that a 30 and 40 foot fall did no harm what would 90 feet do maybe a broken leg. Crane removals can still be done with fractured femor and pelvis. It just hurts a little when you lean back and your saddle pulls you together. You can't be affraid to get to hurt. You need to desensitize yourself to pain.

jumps

i know a company who would regularily all get on a low branch, with high tie ins and take a lot of slack ut of their ropes and jump, the person who was closest to the ground won, they use ropes with a lot of elasticity, a lot of fun im sure

jamie

I did something like that once. I was tied into an ash tree and swung out onto the roof of a flat top house. As I walked back to the other side of the house I let out slack, then ran across the roof and dove off falling into my line then hitting my knot swinging trying to hit a bulls eye on the ground. I was pretending it was competition time. Its alot of fun accept for the part where your falling into the slack. Good thing the roof wasn't longer I may hit ground before I ran out of slack.

Originally posted by BigJohn
I think a good way to get over your fear of heights is fall a couple of times from a good 30 feet or so. It did me good. I don't worry so much knowing that a 30 and 40 foot fall did no harm what would 90 feet do maybe a broken leg. Crane removals can still be done with fractured femor and pelvis. It just hurts a little when you lean back and your saddle pulls you together. You can't be affraid to get to hurt. You need to desensitize yourself to pain.

With all do respect John, I think a 90 ft. fall would result in so sort of paralyses. If not death. I hope I never fall 30 or 40 ft. Some people have given up treecare as a result of a fall of that distance.

The higher you get up there, the smaller pieces you will have to deal with. When I first started climbing I would progressively get higher and higher in a tree and look down at my mentor and all he would do was give me the thumbs up to go a bit higher. Looking back now, small pieces are the easiest to deal with. When a top comes out, pop the chain brake on your saw, push out on the cut cut stub with your free hand and enjoy the ride.:Monkey:

Back