learning to climb on gaffs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i use geckoes because i have sensitive shins ( i used to climb with buckinghams with soccer pads underneath). I like them but i don't use them everyday, i think they might wear out with daily heavy use, but for my purposes they are heaven. by far the most comfortable not to mention lightweight gaffs i have found yet. but they aren't the most heavy duty, and could have a tendency to kick out in punky wood, i keep them sharp and they work very well in hardwoods especially.
another reason to tie into the center ring on your harness when topping is if the spar splits it is less likely injure the climber than if tied to side rings.
no first hand experience here but mike maas brought this up in an earlier thread and i thought it was worth repeating, its something i've been trying to do(when i remember).

Kevin wrote: Is this what you would call the "industry standard"?

Is this directed at me? I can't follow what you're asking. Please clarify.

Fred wrote: Sorry I made an acedemic exercise out of something with such obvious emotional content.

Same as above, I'm confused ;)

These threads get a little loopy and hard to follow. Seems to be a little easier to talk about climbing with gaffs in one thread and the seasonal pace of work in a new thread.

See you guys next week, I'm heading up to St Cloud, just south and a little east of Lake Wobegon, for our chapter conference and TCC. Be back Monday.

Tom

Good morning everyone,

I've been gaffing for probally 1 1/2 years and I've been thinking about getting a new saddle soon,and I was just interested in which one's you guy's like to use when gaffing?I prefer seperate leg strap saddles I don't know about you guy's though...I'll have to give Sherill a call and order a new one soon I guess.

Later Rob....

You might consider a saddle with shoulder straps or suspenders if you plan on having a saw hanging off your belt.

Maybe because it would take some of the load of your waist and put it on your shoulders, particularly while running the 084 in the tree.

The choics between lag straps and swing seat type saddles will depend on your climbing style. The leg straps allow more flexability but the trade off is they are less comfortable to hang off the rope in.

i'm no pro but i like the floating double D saddle that i got from wes spur, has seperate leg straps

climbed 30' today and limbed the pine as i went up with my fano's:D learned how to use a blake's hitch last week, now as i gaff my way up i am using my flip line and climbing line:D

ryan
one thing that i think went unsaid in this thread is, take baby steps. don't try and take big strides when spiking up a tree. just take lots of little steps going up. it saves the legs on big removals.

i only take about a 6" step at a time anyway i'm short so its not like i can take a big step, i'm 5'10":D

limbed a pine up to 30' today with my fano's and then repeled down and droped it. had to limb it to clear a dogwood:cool:

went up to 35' again today:blob2: i really appreciate all the help and advice!!!!! since i have been using a life line and a blake's hitch for a backup i have had almost no fear of hight...almost:D if possible i would like to talk to some of ya'll on the phone some time. i have been thinking about a knot that isn't listed in any of the books that i think might make a good knot for securing yourself in a pine and repeling back down when your done in the tree. i can't quite discribe it on the computer, i sure some of ya'll use this knot now for some thing or orther. i don't know its name:( can't find it listed either.
thanks,
ryan

Latest posts

Back