Least Stressful Work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I've finally reported someone. Hope he is kicked off. Those posts are uncalled for.

Back on topic, I did post this prior to coffee. It's written simply by a reporter who probably has no idea what actually goes on. However, when I see the work others are stuck doing, and when I was out away from the office having lunch on a ridgetop with a view, it was a very good job.

Where else can you get the crew to get on their butts and push a boulder off a cliff using multiple leg power? In the winter, setting that dry moss on fire when the ground had a snow cover, or pouring saw gas down a hollow stump to get a lunch fire going. Etc. etc. Much better than shooting wads of paper at a waste basket.

I have seen a lot of people quit because of the physical part and the inability to embrace the weather. The writer seems to have not heard much about that.

I tried to be an engineer but felt worse physically, after spending all day sitting in front of a computer. I went back to forestry. It was much healthier, even with all the bruises.

ha!

I was once told that machining was one of the least stressful jobs... that was a lie too
Granted I'm way happier in the woods by myself, the stress is more of lol, i'm gonna die, lol vs MORONS I'M SUROUNDED BY MORONS
I'm thinking it's more of I'm gonna die when this tree falls on me but maybe it won't because I have a bit of control, vs I'm gonna die from having a heart attack having to deal with these morons whom I have no control over.

I used to go home feeling relaxed and peaceful after a day of dumping those lodgepole peckerpoles onto the ground. It did get stressful when the yellow saw would not start.

Worked in politics much ?
Nope, but that's not this forum, so why are you talking strictly politics in a thread about work in the woods?

I take your answer to be a no.

Back on topic, driving to the unit can be stressful and dangerous. One year the landing crew of a logging outfit were all killed on the way to work when a semi truck driver fell asleep and hit their crew rig head on.

Landscaping and landscape supervisor work positions are almost as high as logging. I believe this is because of all of the traffic accidents, but also because we have a bunch of idiots that work with machines they are poorly trained upon.
I am not certain, but I believe the logging industry as rated by Worker's Comp. includes tree service and tree climbers.

The loggers are at least paid better.

I kind of got a little lost here. Did I get smarted off by somebody? I have no idea. I don't know whoever it was and will probably never meet them.So it don't matter. Just sayin farming is tough, but it beats the heck out of an office job

I kind of got a little lost here. Did I get smarted off by somebody? I have no idea. I don't know whoever it was and will probably never meet them.So it don't matter. Just sayin farming is tough, but it beats the heck out of an office job
? maybe? threads can have a... warped sense of timing
And written words don't convey sarcasm very well.

There were a number of very offensive posts removed. The thread might seem a bit out of sequence now.

The happiest times in my life were tipping trees and farming. Tipping trees was dangerous, but that was part of the fun. It also paid my bills while I was having a bit of a sabbatical from the stress of a five year (supposedly could be done in four, having a job prevented that…) engineering program and then an ass kicking in a pressure cooker heavy civil job. I loved it, and still do. I love running a saw, heavy rigging for a big tower or swing yarder, getting out ahead a building a road in based solely on what you think is right (with a few limitations) and working around a fun crew. It was taxing, outdoors and I went home tired every night. Except for fires, then we went back to fire camp with our asses really dragging, often physically beat up. I also learned about White’s, Wesco and Nicks boots there, which is invaluable knowledge. Still a lot of fun.

Farming was fun maybe because I was younger and I never had to work with cows or sheep. But it was the same thing, outdoors, tiring, and fun. Lots of chucking hay/straw bales, building fences, some tractor work, repairing barns, the like. I got a good understanding of working on heavy(er) mechanical systems there tearing tractors apart. It was a lot of fun, and I was happy.

The other common thread there, that is not shared with outdoor creers (see: heavy civil construction, hard rock mining) is that there’s nothing really nasty in what’s handled every day. Concrete is nasty stuff, curing compound is worse and a lot of vat leaching chemicals are really bad. Ever hooked up 18” live sewer? It’s nasty. Or digging through a brownfield site… Man that’s bad. In farming probably the worst stuff I used was glyphosate, in solution as weed killer. Otherwise, maybe diesel? Or saw gas? Grease?

Farmers get into far worse chemicals than glyphosate. That stuff is literally less toxic than aspirin. It's getting bad press these days because of all the lawsuits.

That is true, but it was not my experience. It also does not change the overall sentiment of farmers and loggers not dealing with nearly as much nasty stuff as those in construction or other heavy industries who still get to be active and outdoors.

I think it's all in what you prefer to do. I don't mind concrete at all, and I kinda like digging with my little excavator. I'm not so crazy about being the guy with a shovel.

On the flip side of that, I know plenty of fellows that are horrified at the thought of getting a tick, or rubbing up against some plant that causes them to erupt in skin problems. Some folks just don't like the big outdoors.

I'm a bit more flexible. I generally like where I am at, unless it happens to be knee deep in a sewer line repair, or digging out a month old trash can with a dead dog in it. There are LOTS of jobs worse than construction. Heck. Dirty Jobs (the TV program) still doesn't have any shows that match my life history. I haven't seen one yet that I think would be too horrible for me to do.

I think it's all in what you prefer to do. I don't mind concrete at all, and I kinda like digging with my little excavator. I'm not so crazy about being the guy with a shovel.

On the flip side of that, I know plenty of fellows that are horrified at the thought of getting a tick, or rubbing up against some plant that causes them to erupt in skin problems. Some folks just don't like the big outdoors.

I'm a bit more flexible. I generally like where I am at, unless it happens to be knee deep in a sewer line repair, or digging out a month old trash can with a dead dog in it. There are LOTS of jobs worse than construction. Heck. Dirty Jobs (the TV program) still doesn't have any shows that match my life history. I haven't seen one yet that I think would be too horrible for me to do.
I should get Mike Roe to come out and run the log truck for a day... walk by the thing you and you get covered in grease and oil, even after its semi bi monthly (maybe unless its snowing or raining.. if I have time I might get to it) bath

Back