Leaves Turning Brown on Pin Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fieldsman10

Reaction score
In November 2010, I had a relatively mature pin oak planted in my front yard. Everything seemed to be going fine until approx. June of 2011, when the tree was attacked by bores. I treated the tree with something recommended by my local lawn and landscaping care place. I didn't see anymore evidence of bore infestation after the treatment, but the leaves on the tree turned brown and dropped off the tree in early-August. This was much earlier than other established pin oaks in my neighborhood.

In the spring, I treated the tree with the same thing I did in the summer and did not see any evidence of any further issues with bores. However, I did notice damage to the trunk, which I attributed to the bores from the previous summer. Photos are attached showing the damage. Leaves appeared in the spring and the tree appeared to be healthy. In early-May, I noticed some of the leaves starting to brown. We have had temps in the upper-90s the last several week in the Kansas City area, which is where I live, and as you can see by the photos I've posted, all the leaves on the tree are rapidly turning brown. It appears as though it is only a matter of time until they all fall off. All the other more established trees in the area are doing fine despite the extreme heat we have been experiencing.

My questions are as follows:

1. Is my tree dying? If so, is there anything I can do to save it?
2. Is there anything I can do to keep all the leaves from falling off so early in the summer? If so, what.
3. Finally, if the tree isn't dying, what can I do going forward to help the tree become established and not lose it leaves so early?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I've posted several photos to help illustrate what I described above.

Looking at the pics of the leaves, it appears to to me to be drought stress. The appearance of drought stress does not necessarily indicate lack of water. Your tree trunk pics are a clue that the cambium may be disrupted preventing leave nourishment. I suspect some kind of fungal canker like Phytophthora (bleeding canker) not borers doing the dirty work.
Hire an Arborist & stay way from the lawn care guys when it comes to trees.

Back