Left handed saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesTX

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
How many stupid questions do I get?

I read something here and it got me thinking - I am left handed and when I use my saw, I have my left hand on the trigger and the right hand on the grip.

Is this backwards? Is there such a thing as a left handed saw that puts the bar on the outside when held in this manner?

Or am I thinking too much and this isn't an issue?

There has been at least. Most loggers that are left handed use the saw opposite to you, for safty reasons and practical. I am both left and right handed, so I adapt well either way.

Left handed guitars?

Not to get away from the subject,but I was in the navy with an excellent left handed guitar player,except he played a right hand strung one,up side down,no kidding.Think about it,all the chords were upside down as was the finger picking technique.This guy also had a nearly genius IQ but he was equally ornery as he was intelligent,which I guess goes with about all the "boat" sailors.On the subject,I know a left handed tree man that starts the things bass akwards but operates them as would a right handed person .

Well, I'm not going to turn my saw upside down, so maybe I'll try using it right handed.

Treeco - it just seems like using it left handed puts the chain at least a couple inches closer to my body that it would otherwise be. And the chain brake handguard is tilted to better conform to a right hand that a left.

Not that it can't be used safely left handed, but the I'd rather buy a lefthanded one if they were available.

Anyone who uses a chainsaw should be able to run it lefthanded for safety reasons. A good example of this is when you are bucking and there is no room to stand normally because of potential kickback.

It is one thing to use it occaisionally left-handed as I had to this weekend for one cut. But they are designed to be used right-handed and should be on a regular basis. W/ the handle configs it is hard to put your self out the line of the bar (for kickback avoidance) and the ergonomics are screwed up.

It may feel a little awkward at first, but it isn't like you are swinging a bat or playing notes/chords.

Blowdown1 said:
It is one thing to use it occaisionally left-handed as I had to this weekend for one cut. But they are designed to be used right-handed and should be on a regular basis. W/ the handle configs it is hard to put your self out the line of the bar (for kickback avoidance) and the ergonomics are screwed up.

It may feel a little awkward at first, but it isn't like you are swinging a bat or playing notes/chords.
I agree 100.0%. It should be less awkward for a left handed person to cut right handed, than it is for us right handers to make that occasional left handed cut - and that isn't really a big deal..... ;) .

If you have to cut a lot left handed, it might be a good idea to try a full wrap handle or a Jonsered saw with the handlebar 90 degrees to the cutting attachment.

How can you make a statement about the "awkwardness" of operating a tool contrary to your instint? How can you say it sgould be "less awkward" for a lefty to this than a righty?

Because the saws are designed for right handed use, left handed use by a right handed person will give you all the inconveniences on top of each other.

To cut left handed with a saw that is meant for right hand operation IS more dangerus than some seem to think, and wise wersa.

I think that the next time I cut, I'm going to try it right-handed. It's felt awkward (which also doesn't seem safe) the few times I've tried it in the past, but if I stick with it, maybe it'll become more natural.

Al Smith said:
Not to get away from the subject,but I was in the navy with an excellent left handed guitar player,except he played a right hand strung one,up side down,no kidding.Think about it,all the chords were upside down as was the finger picking technique.This guy also had a nearly genius IQ but he was equally ornery as he was intelligent,which I guess goes with about all the "boat" sailors.On the subject,I know a left handed tree man that starts the things bass akwards but operates them as would a right handed person .

yeah there was someone famous who did this with a guitar too.... hmmmmmmm now who was it?. :rolleyes: . Oh yes thats right it was Jimi Hendrix... hahah :)

Well

There's just not enough lefty's for the saw manufacturers to build a viable profitable product so switch over guys.

Right hand on the trigger, left hand on the handle except ....

.... when I'm doing the close to ground cut on the stump quite often with a powerfull saw I'll get down on my knees, left hand on the trigger and right hand on the handle. Feels quite natural, arms aren't crossed, have better control and that right hand on the handle is in a better position for anti kickback guard to work that doing it the other way of standing bent over with the RH on the trigger and the LH on the SIDE of the handle.

It's a matter of habit, after a while you wont notice that saws are right handed.

JamesTX, it should not feel awkward after a short while I think. It isn't a matter of coordination as much as "feel" since you are a lefty.

As I mentioned before, due to ergonomics you can't really have a stance that puts you out of line of the bar when you use it backwards, so that is reason enough I think to avoid sawing lefty when you don't have to.

As a confused, half-azzed lefty, I can say...

Learn to use the saw right-handed; it'll be safer, & you'll probably never find a left-handed saw.

Learning guitars chords backwards :dizzy: isn't that bad once you get "used to it." There's also a decent (not great) selection of books & even chord computers for lefties; some good websites, too. The selection of left-handed guitars is improving, especially on the low end (SX, Agile, Jay Turser, Johnson, & others).

Last edited:
Blowdown1 said:
As I mentioned before, due to ergonomics you can't really have a stance that puts you out of line of the bar when you use it backwards, so that is reason enough I think to avoid sawing lefty when you don't have to.
Well said!
....and I must admit that I have some trouble understanding why it is a problem using the "weak" hand on the trigger - it isn't that complicated to control. :rolleyes:

Back