left it in storage too long...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arborialis

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm embarassed to say I left my MS200 (with only a couple of months of wear) in storage for over a year with nearly full tanks of gas and oil. Besides draining out the old fluids and replacing them, is there anything I should do to the saw before I throw it back into battle?

Hopefully others will chime in here, no doubt most of them know more than me about this.

I'd clean everythign off really well, using compressed air. Make sure no spiderwebs are in the cylinder fins, etc. Everything with a gasket check the bolt tightness. Pull off the side cover and remove the clutch drum, make sure it nor the clutch have corrosion on their friction faces. If they do just clean it off with 220 grit sandpaper. Something you may want to do is start it with the bar off, to get the oil flowing, or at least be able to verify it is flowing.

Before you start it with the chain on, oil the chain really throroughly. Then wearing a glove pull the chain through a turn or two. Again, BEFORE the saw is running!

Go easy on it for the first few tanks of gas. Personally, if it runs rough I'd not monkey with the carb for a while, it might clear itself out after a few minutes.

If it is rather boggy, run it for a bit then let it set for 45 minutes, then repeat. Sometimes this can loosen up varnish in the carb.

Hopefully it will just fire up!

Don't fret too much about this yet. I just got around to a Homelite EZ that had been siting 3+ years with fuel in it. I added some fresh mix to the tank and it ran after less than a dozen pulls. The first day it was not wanting to adjust properly on the carb needles, so I left it sitting for a day. When I came back to it, the carb adjusted fine and I've cut a couple hours no problem. My point is don't go doing too much work that's not needed. If it runs--great; if you NEED to repair it then do so.

Gearhead1 said:
Don't fret too much about this yet. I just got around to a Homelite EZ that had been siting 3+ years with fuel in it. I added some fresh mix to the tank and it ran after less than a dozen pulls. The first day it was not wanting to adjust properly on the carb needles, so I left it sitting for a day. When I came back to it, the carb adjusted fine and I've cut a couple hours no problem. My point is don't go doing too much work that's not needed. If it runs--great; if you NEED to repair it then do so.

I've got you beat. How about 15 years. Cleaning the slime out of the tank was nasty...STANKY mess. Fuel lines were rotted, but it ran in 10 pulls after being put back together.

1 year? Dump the gas, refill, and run a couple of tanks through it.

Mark

sedanman said:
I'd dump the fuel, replace with fresh and pull the cord.

I'd dump the fuel into my car and then refill the saw with fresh stuff. Let 'er rip.
John..

/waste not want not.

No Problem

Pulled a Homelite 450 out of the shed behind the shop last week, it had been sitting for 6 years with gas in the tank. Drained the old gas, filled tank 1/2 full, sloshed around a few times, and dumped. Then a fresh fill of new mix. 4 pulls on the rope, started and idled fine. Threw on a new chain, greased the sprocket nose, filled the oil tank, then dropped a 100 footer & bucked up for firewood. The old 450 never missed a beat. 30 inch bar, .404 x.063 full skip chisel, the chips flew.

Like it has already been said, just dump the old liquids, refill, and let her rip - I would guess you will be fine...

DeanBrown3D said:
Arborialis - did you use fuel stabilizer?
Just an FYI- The bigger name brand oils have stabilizer already in them. I'd recommend NOT adding more stabilizer to your mix fuel.

I was just reading a thread over on the Forestry Forum website about a guy who added 'dry gas' to his fuel mix because he was concerned about water in the gas, he burned up his brand new saw in less than 6 months. So unless you are VERY sure of what you're adding and how it will affect your engines, I'd say to just stick with a name brand mix oil and leave it at that.

Don't listen to these folks, that saw is a total loss, dump the old sludge out, box it up and send it to me. If there are any usable parts on it I will send you a few $$. :D

Dadatwins said:
Don't listen to these folks, that saw is a total loss, dump the old sludge out, box it up and send it to me. If there are any usable parts on it I will send you a few $$. :D
I just knew that was coming.;)

My saw dealer is adamant that you should add additional stabilizer to the mix, because there is not much in the regular oils, even from Stihl.

And to be honest, for the cost of a few ounces of stabilizer, why not?

DeanBrown3D said:
My saw dealer is adamant that you should add additional stabilizer to the mix, because there is not much in the regular oils, even from Stihl.

And to be honest, for the cost of a few ounces of stabilizer, why not?

Sounds like your dealer is out to make some extra $$$ when these folks bring their burned up saws back to him for a rebuild. How much fuel are you mixing that you need to consider adding stabilizer? If you only need a few tanks to cut some wood every couple of weeks, mix a gallon, cut the wood, dump whatever mix is left over in your truck when your done. No waste or additives needed.

Latest posts

Back