Leg Chaps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob gresko

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Thinking about buying "protective leg chaps" and noticed in Baileys that they have "protective pants" as well. What are your opinions on chaps vs. pants?
I'm thinking the pants would stay in place better than the chaps and not be as much of a nuisance.

Thanks Bob

I've never had any issue with the chaps shifting, and if you tuck the tails of the nylon straps, you shouldn't have any issue there either.

I do like being able to remove the protection, especially if it's warm out, when I stop cutting, to split, load, stack, whatever. Personal preference, but I find the chaps to be more versatile for me.

I've never had any issue with the chaps shifting, and if you tuck the tails of the nylon straps, you shouldn't have any issue there either.

I do like being able to remove the protection, especially if it's warm out, when I stop cutting, to split, load, stack, whatever. Personal preference, but I find the chaps to be more versatile for me.

THe only thing I'll add to ^^^.

Having the wrap around protection on the back of the leg is nice protection from the bar when walking. Should my current set of Stihl chaps wear out, then I'll upgrade to some with the wrap around at the bottom.

I agree with Marc - the chaps/pants are warm and bulky so it's nice to be able to easily take them off. Also they typically get very dirty (bar oil, tree sap, etc.) and/or wet (snow/rain/sweat) - again nice to take them off and already have clean/dry pants underneath. With chaps it's also easier to vary what is worn underneath.
I have Baileys wrap around and have been very pleased with ease of putting on/taking off.

I use the chaps myself, and also like the ability to take them off when I want to. Unless you like loading, eating lunch, etc in your underwear. Then go with the pants.
I have to be careful where I wear my safety gear, when I cut around several of the logging crews that I follow around, they give me a real hard time about my forestry helmet with attached face shield and earmuffs and my chaps.
They cut wood in levi's, tee shirts, no eye or ear protection, and forget about any chaps.
I just like being safe

I have to be careful where I wear my safety gear, when I cut around several of the logging crews that I follow around, they give me a real hard time about my forestry helmet with attached face shield and earmuffs and my chaps.
They cut wood in levi's, tee shirts, no eye or ear protection, and forget about any chaps.
I just like being safe

The logger I use for my place in Louisiana is all mechanized, but he does have a helper that uses a chain saw at the landing area. Mostly the saw is used for minor clean up on the logs before the truck rolls to take them to the mill. When they were logging last spring one of the helpers cranked up the saw without PPE, and the owner chewed on him for 5 minutes for doing so.

These guys take safety very seriously. The only things they make fun of are my shiny 'new' Stihls when I'm bucking up tops behind them. :)

I just like being safe

Keep being safe, never mind the careless retards who, once dead or legless will not be able to provide for their families. Then you can ask them who feels "manly".

I use the Labonville green wrap chaps, and love them. They don't shift at all, and I wear the leg straps pretty loose.

I wear my chaps, helmet and steel toe boots EVERY time I use ANY chainsaw. I'm accident prone as it is, I don't need to take any unnecessary chances with a razor sharp chain that is moving at 45MPH.

I like the chaps for the reasons already mentioned, plus since the backs of my chaps are open, my legs can breath a little during the hot humid Iowa summers!

Another benefit to the PPE: My wife really likes to watch me when I'm out cutting and decked out in my safety gear, so the evenings after an afternoon of cutting can be a lot of fun as well! :biggrinbounce2:

God bless,
Chris

Last edited:
Back