legal question .... tree dropped on fence

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you know the company name of the hack? I'm assuming you're neighbor found him on Craigslist. Run adds over and over with pictures and state their not insured and won't help... This is happening in my area the hacks will always be hacks and Craigslist is all they have. .. The so called tree service changes their name every 2 or 3 months...
Can this hack be posted on Craigs list advertising not to use him ?

There's one consistent good piece of advice here: If your neighbor won't make it right, as long as it's more than your deductible, call your insurance...and let their lawyers explain to him how he will now be making it right with them.

As to the people who caution against filing a claim, if your insurance company is going to screw you over a few thousand dollar claim (if that)...thank your lucky stars you learned how much they suck before you actually had a major claim to fight them over.

Just how much money are we talking about?????????????????????????

It seems there is very little common sense being used here. I have found in life that many injustices will be dealt to you. How you handle these things will dictate if you have any common sense. If we are talking a token sum, going to court, starting a fued with the neighbor and hiring a lawyer is just dumb.

TO OP, you said the the "tree hack wouldn't pay all" what does this mean?

Just how much money are we talking about?????????????????????????

It seems there is very little common sense being used here. I have found in life that many injustices will be dealt to you. How you handle these things will dictate if you have any common sense. If we are talking a token sum, going to court, starting a fued with the neighbor and hiring a lawyer is just dumb.

TO OP, you said the the "tree hack wouldn't pay all" what does this mean?

i believe the stage has been set already with both the neighbor and the tree hack refusing to own up. how much of a nice guy can one be before being a chump? he didn't break his own fence, the other guy did, and any decent human being would be more than happy to make it right...including the neighbor.

obviously this isn't the case, so when dealing with sub-humans, take the legal route.

i believe the stage has been set already with both the neighbor and the tree hack refusing to own up. how much of a nice guy can one be before being a chump? he didn't break his own fence, the other guy did, and any decent human being would be more than happy to make it right...including the neighbor.

obviously this isn't the case, so when dealing with sub-humans, take the legal route.

Great case for cutting off nose to spite face. Throw good money after bad and animosity forever with the neighbor, priceless.

For me to go to the extremes suggested here, a serious and I mean serious thing would have to happen. Sorry no fence is worth what is suggested here.

We still don't have a dollar figure of what the damage is and the shortcoming of what isn't going to be repaired.

Great case for cutting off nose to spite face. Throw good money after bad and animosity forever with the neighbor, priceless.

For me to go to the extremes suggested here, a serious and I mean serious thing would have to happen. Sorry no fence is worth what is suggested here.

We still don't have a dollar figure of what the damage is and the shortcoming of what isn't going to be repaired.
You do have a point about throwing good money after bad, but if the neighbor is not willing to own up to fixing a fence that his contractor destroyed, it shows his character's true colors. But then what happens when this neighbor causes a problem again? He's not going to learn anything if the OP walks away from this problem.

I've lived in many places in my life and have learned, sometimes the hard way, that some neighbors aren't going to like you regardless of how nice/friendly/easy going you are. I never go looking for trouble. But if trouble is coming my way and someone thinks they are going to pull one past me they had better think again. In life you need to be assertive. Not aggressive, but assertive because if you won't advocate for yourself don't expect anyone else to either.

Again it would help to know what type of repair bill we are taking about here.

I couldn't imagine a fence being that much. I would just see what they can or will do.
I would most likely settle for them picking up the materials and helping install them or anything that involves them doing something to help out.
Beats the hell out of doing it yourself.
Chad

I have learned to just eat it when it comes to neighbors give more than expected and ask nothing in return.
This helps when you need them to look the other way or you want to make some noise, leave a mess for a couple of days or whatever.
Neighbors are a asset if treated properly.

OK, OK - fine, then. I'll fix his stupid fence. Not really my fault anyway - I had cut my notch and most of the back cut, but when I got back from lunch, there was the tree laying on his fence. I'm sure someone else must have come in and messed with my work, but I can't prove it. That's why I was offering to pay for part of the repair.

Ya big bunch of crybabies.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ok so my a##hole neighbor hires a uninsured tree hack to come out and cut a tree, it falls on my fence, the tree hack will not pay for the complete cost of fence repair. What can I do? Is my neighbor is at fault too cause he did not hire a insured company ? Yea small claims I know but that is usually a bunch of bs and the company will never pay. I am thinking of dropping a tree across his drive in the middle of winter and saying opps...
It wasn't an act of god so you have the right to sue tree company and homeowner

One phone call five minutes, fixed, very, very simple. If insurance companies can afford to put commercials on tv, your fence should not be a problem.

OK, OK - fine, then. I'll fix his stupid fence. Not really my fault anyway - I had cut my notch and most of the back cut, but when I got back from lunch, there was the tree laying on his fence. I'm sure someone else must have come in and messed with my work, but I can't prove it. That's why I was offering to pay for part of the repair.

Thanks for the morning laugh.:laugh:

This whole thread should be a "How to make life more complicated".:buttkick:

We don't know what type of fence or difficulty to fix, $200? Pictures taken? Contractor name and info? Hopefully you have all the information. Complete cost; so they will pay partial?

If I were the neighbor and hired a contractor that damaged the neighbors fence I would be talking to the neighbor and going after the contractor to fix it. If he wouldn't fix I would take care of it asap as I want to be a good neighbor. It doesn't appear the neighbors are talking friendly?

If there is not communication with the neighbor then the options are to just fix it, call insurance or small claims. For me it would depend on whether the principle of the matter or neighbor relations are more important. It appears that neighbor relations are not good already. I would be willing to bet that if the tree guy were to fix the fence it would sub par.

We don't know what type of fence or difficulty to fix, $200? Pictures taken? Contractor name and info? Hopefully you have all the information. Complete cost; so they will pay partial?

If I were the neighbor and hired a contractor that damaged the neighbors fence I would be talking to the neighbor and going after the contractor to fix it. If he wouldn't fix I would take care of it asap as I want to be a good neighbor. It doesn't appear the neighbors are talking friendly?

If there is not communication with the neighbor then the options are to just fix it, call insurance or small claims. For me it would depend on whether the principle of the matter or neighbor relations are more important. It appears that neighbor relations are not good already. I would be willing to bet that if the tree guy were to fix the fence it would sub par.

I agree!

You Sir are a problem solver rather than a problem perpetuator.:clap:

I am also guessing that an offer to fix the fence was made, but not to the OP's satisfaction. I.E., new fence rather than repair old fence.

I thought you were going to say while notching you turned your head too fast and your moustache hit the tree and knocked it over!

Just calling your insurance company and asking about a claim can cost you in the future. They mark that stuff down. Trust me. Anyway if it's a small section that is damaged just try to fix what is broken. Are you asking for a whole new fence because some was damaged and your mad? Just be reasonable, stuff happens. Even if he was insured they probably would not replace the whole fence.
Highway robbery!

I would tell "tree hack" that he had better pay for it, assuming he would like his house to not end up on my firewood pile. These are the types that give a bad name to hard-working small-time tree guys. Theres nothing wrong with being a small operation, but hillbilly + chainsaw does not equal tree service.

Yabut Hillbilly + chainsaw does equal good Youtube videos:popcorn:

Hmmmmm maybe OP is the hack and he dropped a tree on his neighbors fence and wondering how liable he is for the damage????

Yabut Hillbilly + chainsaw does equal good Youtube videos:popcorn:

Yea i figured that the insurance company rout was the best option but I don't have pics, they cleaned it up before I could see the area. The hack paid little to us for the damage and then when we asked for the rest he accused us of using the most expensive material possible. We used the cheapest stuff that would work cause we figured that he would not pay. That don't include labor, my labor that is. The sad part is this idiot had all the right equipment there where this should have not happened. The Insurance rout would not be worth the hassle. This is the 3rd time my neighbors trees have caused damage to the property. A branch overhanging the same fence 2 years ago out of the dead tree that hit the fence this time knocked boards off, but it was a easy fix. I had about 4 hrs in it and I didn't say nothing. Then years back the neighbor himself dropped a tree on the garden and laughed about it and said he would give us some produce to cover the damage, never did. So.. if I ever see a tree company on his property I am going over there and demanding to see insurance and if need be I will call the cops. This is bs his actions causing me work and headaches.

Latest posts

Back