Lend out a saw ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian VT

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I think rule #1 here is don't lend out your saw(s) ?

I've got a neighbor that has an old beat-to-hell 272XP. He cuts/burns @ 16 cord of firewood/yr.
He called the other day because his saw wouldn't start and he had help there to run the splitter. I didn't have time to look at it so, against my better judgement, I said he could borrow my 268.
He showed up and I fueled it and started it. I couldn't get it to run worth a damn. It had been stored, drained, for over a year. No carb. adjustments seemed to help. He left without the saw.
Yesterday I decided to mess with it. I pulled the muffler and the piston looked fine. Air filter looked fine. I threw in a new plug just for good measure. I reset the carb. screws to 1 turn out.
It started and ran well and I was able to tune it in perfectly !
I think maybe the AS crew was watching over me that day that I almost broke rule #1.
I don't know how you put the whammy on my saw that day but...Thanks guys ! :D
Maybe Saw Dr. put that feature in it when he had it ?

Last edited:
Might want to keep a beater around for a loaner/truck saw. I never "loan out" anything I'm going to miss.

I don't lend them unless I go with them.

Only sold 1 saw, didn't want to but a guy at work kept smozzin' so against my better judgement gave in.

He told me about a month later that he was trying to flush cut an Oak stump (about four foot across at ground level) when he ran out of gas.

Said it wouldn't start after he ran out????

I says you probably fried it, bring it in and I'll look at it.

He gets it out of his truck and is yanking it over, says seems to have good compression?

I pull the muffler and find a nearly melted piston.

I cleaned it up real good with muratic acid and 320, new meteor, and rings. Woods ported it and made up new base and exhaust gaskets, new muffler bolts (he lost one) set her up a little fatter and gave it back to him (filed and dressed the rakers too)

Told him to 'run this one at 32:1 please. I had more than the $40 I charged him in the repair, plus my time.

Never loan a saw, and never sell a saw to someone you know or work with!

Wonder if your neighbor was thinking ~ "Man I'm glad I didn't take that ole clunker that wouldn't start. Might have been blamed for it!"

Of all of saws I've had over the years, I currently don't own a "loaner" saw.

Yup,

Told old Norm,

"if you smoke it again, I will buy it back from you for what you paid".

But I aint fixing it again!

By the way it was a pretty decent 6800, that he got for $200 to start with. (with new bar and chain and two files)

Never loan a saw, and never sell a saw to someone you know or work with!

That's exactly what I prefer. I want to take care of the saw that I sell. It's only one or two maybe three, so I'm not exactly buried in work. I want my buyer to be well pleased!

But I definitely don't loan my saws either.

The only person i've ever let borrow a saw is my BIL i know be will take care of it and when i got it back it was cleaner than when it left,full of gas (he uses Motul oil in his 2T), and bar oil and he also resharpened the chain.

Yeah some people just don't give a crap!

Loaned a pressure washer to a fellow worker years back, took 2 months to get it back (broken)

He couldn't bring it back because he loaned it to some other guy was the story. (that didn't make me feel better)

Oh and neither of them offered a dime to repair it:angry:

I keep a Wild Thing around as a loaner. I pick them up at garage sales. They usally last about a year, sometimes less.
My BIL borrowed a WT from me a while back. As I only had one decent chain at the time, I told him to keep keep it out of the dirt. He told me not to worry, he always power washes everything when he's finished.
I wonder if my wife realizes how much I love her.

Loaned a saw out to my brother in law. When asked him how it was running he said great. He had it for about a week. Second time I asked him, he stated that it wasn't cutting very well and the chain kept on falling off. He also couldn't get it started any more. I was nervous.

He dropped it off and:
1). The chain was on backwards
...anybody want to guess why he couldn't get it started?

2). Yup you guessed it...no fuel

If any of you are wondering, he is the same brother-in-law that ####ed me over on my generator. Lessons learned.

Nope,

no check lists, no deposits, it is quite simple
"You borrow my saw I borrow your Wife/Girlfriend"

Works like a charm every time!

Poulan Wild Thing is my loaner saw. If it gets straight gassed or smashed I can always get another at a garage sale.

Nope,

no check lists, no deposits, it is quite simple
"You borrow my saw I borrow your Wife/Girlfriend"

Works like a charm every time!

I couldn't do THAT sight unseen. Maybe that was the reason for the 11' poles Brad was referring to in another thread.:msp_confused:

Latest posts

Back