Lessons learned

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cary,
That's a great lesson for us to hear. I'm glad you are ok and took the time to relay the story here. We sometimes forget that now matter how experienced one is things can still go wrong. I'll remember this story for when I have to remove my backhoe.

Woodho

I operate all types of heavy equipment and I find that with proper respect for the equipment you can extend the service life of your fingers, toes, and body. I learned about heavy things operating a '49 8n tractor some 12 years ago. Since then, I have been on alot of different things, mostly skidsteers and their attachments. Since I frequently change attachments, I am always at risk of losing a finger or toe. Those that know me, know I am very casual at work. I wear a hard hat when I operate a chipper (now) but wear shorts and non-slip shoes when I operate a skidsteer, except for tree shearing which I cover up myself. I have lots of scratches and small scars but I still have my digits. I keep one thought in the back of my mind. My uncle told me once, "when you are working, man, using equipment, don't grit your teeth". In other words, take it cool, calm and collective. You would be amazed at how many guys I see using their backhoes and bobcats as battering rams! Same goes for hooking up to attachments. We all hate it, especially heavy 3pt attachments. Making a once around and inspecting the attachment and linkage prior to attempting hookup is a good idea and is something that could become a routine in little or no time. Think about how much you like your middle finger for traffic and toes for walking and you will try to take the extra steps necessary to prevent losing them. Me, I make sure everything is flat on the ground before I climb off the cab. When hooking up, I make sure everything fits snug before I attempt to close the locking levers. If you don't (and I have screwed up plenty) you could lose an attachment enroute or worse, lose it while working from it. Imagine losing a backhoe attachment while you are sitting on it! It has happened with skidsteer attachments and it wasn't pretty..

Back