Let's have some fun...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

16gauge

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
:blob2: Just bought a like new green saw with a purple top and sides. It was cheap at a pawn shop...after reading all the comments, I just had to check it out for myself...I now have my very own Wildthing. :dizzy: I've run a couple of PPros but never a totally low end Poulan.

On the + side is a fully adjustable carb, if you have surgical pliers, and straightforward controls. I like up for on and down for off ignition and out for on, in for off chokes. After an Idle and High adjustment it actually starts and runs better than I would expect of a cheapie 42cc saw...and it idles just perfect...I like to watch saws idle while I rest ;)

On the - side, it has the same anti-vibe as my old single jug Harley Sprint (none that you can feel), foam air filter, the fact that I told all of you here at AS. :p

I really can't find much wrong with this saw for occassional use when it cost $69 like new. One of my in-laws may have a Christmas present that they can use for a couple of years.

I keep a wildthing at the shop for un-crating mowers and such. I figure if someone walks off with it, I'm not out much and the stupid little p.o.s. hasn't failed yet so it stays on the payroll. If it ever needs any more than a spark plug it's gonna hit the trash pile.

Glad to hear somebody other than me is having fun with a throwaway. I have been bitten by the hotrod saw bug thanks to the clowns on this board. Cannot afford to screw up one of our good saws so the 2050 Poulan has become my practice dummy. Like your Wild Thang the 2050 starts easy and idles so smooth its scarey. I have smoothed the intake side of things and made sure there was no rough edges on the hot side. I then drilled the muffler and gave it two exits. Not sure if I accidently hit a good combination or those motors are sleepers but it flat gets with the program, it's amazingly fast, well, amazing to me. Side by side cuts in 6" elm it is two cuts to one faster than our Stihl 210 running the same N1C Carton chain. When it pukes we are going to laugh a bit and go on with life. You think they vibrate stock 16Ga? Rod it, the 2050 will num your arms, must be them extra Rs we is getten, lol.

Butch is having fun too!

Butch, Thank you for the good information. Now, if I can find an aftermarket AV kit and muffler I can keep up with an MS 210? Is this using the same Carlton set up on both? What size bar and what size wood? I'm thinking my saw would crap out pretty fast in a real competition but who knows? :blob2:

before you mess it all up, tear it down and get the aluminum bore nickersil or chrome coated. For hundreds of $ you could race the 021 and maybe last as long!

I must admit to once tearing the carbs off a bunch of new throwaway saws (that were actaully being thrown away!) to get carb kits and carb parts... might have kept the plugs also..

16gauge said:
Butch, Thank you for the good information. Now, if I can find an aftermarket AV kit and muffler I can keep up with an MS 210? Is this using the same Carlton set up on both? What size bar and what size wood? I'm thinking my saw would crap out pretty fast in a real competition but who knows? :blob2:

Aftermarket AV kit? LOL. Ours is thick gloves. Told the boy that some nut protectors might be prudent too :p . Bar is the factory equipment racing job. 14" low kickback color coded blue, still says shark or something on it. We were teasing the youngest about the POS Poulan being faster than his 210. Happend to be working on an Elm deadfall. Had a couple limbs right at comfortable height. 6" is a guess. Did some racen and the 2050 sent the 210 home with its tail between its legs. Now If I can just find a 30" bar, sure is a lot lighter than the 660,,,,

Butch(OH) said:
Aftermarket AV kit? LOL. Ours is thick gloves. Told the boy that some nut protectors might be prudent too :p . Bar is the factory equipment racing job. 14" low kickback color coded blue, still says shark or something on it. We were teasing the youngest about the POS Poulan being faster than his 210. Happend to be working on an Elm deadfall. Had a couple limbs right at comfortable height. 6" is a guess. Did some racen and the 2050 sent the 210 home with its tail between its legs. Now If I can just find a 30" bar, sure is a lot lighter than the 660,,,,

;) Just as I thought, I'll save the 210 for the small stuff and use that almost new Wild Thang for the BIG CHORES! :blob2:

Might be fun to run it on 100:1 WOT (wire the throttle open) and time how long it takes to flip its lid. Hopefully it it all ends with bang rather than whimper...

Wired at WOT?

Lakeside53 said:
Might be fun to run it on 100:1 WOT (wire the throttle open) and time how long it takes to flip its lid. Hopefully it it all ends with bang rather than whimper...

Hey Lakeside, this runs too good. LMAO...really! Now if I only had an Eager Beaver I would have a contest, reserve the park, take bets. HMMM :p

Hey, anyone ever tried this? :Eye: :Eye:

Sounds like the formation of a new racing class at the Get Togethers: the "under $100" category. Now, I'm not talking about an uncle who sells somebody a modified 372 for $80. The saw has to be under $100 when new. Eager Beavers vs. Craftsman whatevers vs. Wildthangs, etc.

Latest posts

Back