lets reclaim outboard motors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunnarfan

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
a motor is a motor is a motor...lets all admit that.. mercury's used to be those wonderful two man saws.. why not take what we've learned in the past x amount of years and slap a bar back on one with a helper handle on the other end... might be able to make something worth while.... and heck.. get a big one and then just set it on a track and slide it back and forth.

just had to put that out there.. been an idea thats been bugging me

i was thinking i'd look at the chucking and operator safety first.... and gearing for rpms..

would be funny to suggest water cooling..

would be funny to suggest water cooling..

Not that funny, outboard motors require a steady supply of water for cooling. Ever seen anyone run an outboard out of the water? They usually have a water hose hooked to it.

You should go to my dad's house. He has about 5 inoperable vehicles (including my old Chevy Monza and my brothers AMC Gremlin) and dozens of gas and electric motors laying around. He says he is going to build go-karts for the grandkids. I look forward to that day. He has a bobcat to build a dirt go-kart track on 10 acres. Sounds like fun to me! Hmm...who's having more fun here?

Last edited:
Might be worth it to do, if you have a powerful enough outboard. Could use it on a bandmill; put a hose on it for cooling & fill up a barrel to water your lawn or something, if you have your mill near your house. There are plenty of kits available for flushing outboard motors that just hook up a garden hose to both sides of the motor.

Might be worth it to do, if you have a powerful enough outboard. Could use it on a bandmill; put a hose on it for cooling & fill up a barrel to water your lawn or something, if you have your mill near your house. There are plenty of kits available for flushing outboard motors that just hook up a garden hose to both sides of the motor.

I guess I was just thinking about the CSM concept. Portability is one of the chief benefits of a CSM, and incorporating an outboard motor limits you to as far as the hose can reach. Not a bad idea to try though if you access to a free outboard motor.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back