Let's revisit splitters!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taskswap

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
OK folks, I'm sure this is popcorn time for some of you but I dug through all the old threads and still want to ask. I'm in the market for a splitter this year. I'm not looking for a Super Splitter (not in the budget) and I'm not looking for an el-cheapo electric either. I do most of my splitting with a Fiskars and I'm happy with it, I just need something that will get me through some of the nasties. Vertical/horizontal would be nice so I can quarter some big rounds rather than having to noodle them down.

I'm torn between my options. It seems like I'd need to be in the $1600+ range to get a decent unit retail. Buying used is around half that, but a lot of the listings are shifty - I've seen shoddy line repairs, lots of leaking cylinders, etc. But the extra $800 to buy new is my firewood budget for the year. I could chuck the difficult pieces into the woods for years before I'd pay that off.

I also looked at renting - 22-30 ton units here go for $70-$90 a day. Then I don't have to maintain the unit. But what I need to split is my "most challenging" stuff, so I'd have to kill myself to try to split it all in one day or even a weekend, and if it ran into 3+ days I may as well be buying split/seasoned (or a splitter).

My gut tells me I should keep looking for a used unit but of a good brand. What do you think?

I couldn't be happier with my Huskee 22T from Tractor Supply. Like you I split mostly with a Fiskars and I save the uglies for the Huskee. It hasn't failed to split anything I have thrown at it. If you watch for a coupon and a sale they can be had new for about $900. The 28T version has a honda engine vs the bottom of the barrel Briggs on the 22T. I believe it would fit into your price range. For as much as I use it I figured I could replace the engine on mine if I ever had any problems with it.

I couldn't be happier with my Huskee 22T from Tractor Supply. Like you I split mostly with a Fiskars and I save the uglies for the Huskee. It hasn't failed to split anything I have thrown at it. If you watch for a coupon and a sale they can be had new for about $900. The 28T version has a honda engine vs the bottom of the barrel Briggs on the 22T. I believe it would fit into your price range. For as much as I use it I figured I could replace the engine on mine if I ever had any problems with it.

I personally made one, but I know several that have the 22t huskee and they do work well. If I was to purchase a splitter that would be the one.:msp_smile:

Another vote for the Huskee 22 ton. I used a friends for a couple of years. Last fall I bought mine for $899 on sale. I split about 4-5 cords and so far it it has been flawless. I am making a log cradle for it as I don't care for the looks of the one they sell for it. I have split some nasty oak crotches or I should say it ripped and sheared them. I wouldn't worry too much about the Briggs as that can be fixed cheap enough.

The obvious benefit to owning vs renting is being able to split at your time frame. I used to rent and found it a pain in the butt. Because I would spend a whole weekend splitting because I had to have the unit back Monday morning. Owning your own, you can simple choose to split for a hour here and there and when ever you feel like it. If you decide to buy, make sure the splitter has a good horizontal shaft engine.

Many off the higher tonnage splitters use a 11gpm pump that tends to be painfully slow. A 16 gpm pump with matching engine is much more satisfying with the higher tonnage machines.

Many off the higher tonnage splitters use a 11gpm pump that tends to be painfully slow. A 16 gpm pump with matching engine is much more satisfying with the higher tonnage machines.

I appreciate that, but for my particular case cost matters more than speed. Allowing for moving the logs around, no splitter (even an SS/RapidFire) is going to be faster than me splitting by hand on the "easy" stuff, and that's 80% of what I've got here. I really just want something to quarter down some of the big stuff and get through crotches and some of the stringy elm and sycamore I have lying around.

Question on these Huskee splitters. Suppose I got the 22T. It seems like the major complaint is the engine. How reasonable would it be to just run it as long as it lasts, then replace the engine? Northern Tool has the better Honda engine for $259. Even replacing the entire engine at some point, I'd still be ahead of the game for years on price.

I'm fairly sure the 22T will get through anything I have. Heck, for a year or so I used a DR 6-ton electric unit and got through some pretty big stuff (twice what it's rated for). You just have to be patient and chip around the outside first, just like with hand tools.

I already bought a replacement engine from Harbor Freight. They sell their Predator engine in a similarly powered vertical version at around $100. I figure for as much as I run the Briggs it will last for a good while and if I have a replacement on the shelf then it should last that much longer. A little welding on the mount bracket and a horizontal engine could be used as well. The pump doesnt really care how it is oriented.

I have a friend with the 34T Huskee and I have many hours using it. The 22T version is a little faster until it kicks into the second stage. I really prefer using the 22T as it is lighter and easier to move around. I take the splitter to the wood rather than bringing the wood to the splitter. One person can easily move the 22T by hand. After running both this is one time in my life that I can say I was happy with the decision to buy the cheaper/lighter/smaller version of a tool. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the heavier version. It is a hell of a splitter. Just overkill for what I am doing at <10 cords a year between myself and my dad. I know my friend's 34T version has literally split hundreds of cords over the ten years that he has owned it.

taskswap,

I'm on another thred about the huskie or speeco with the briggs engine so thought i would stop in here also.

Get yourself the huskie with the briggs, the mechanics and price of the machine are great.
Those splitters will chew through pretty much any size and type of wood.

The Briggs engine on those splitters has been beaten to death about cold start problems or general opperations, but i just finished fixing a friends with a 4$ new plug.
The factory plug the briggs comes with is a piece of garbage and lots of the champion line of plugs are.
Get your huskie or speeco 22t, run it and when it starts to become a problem to start change out the plug to either a champion EZ start plug or other company EZ start plug.
Then you will be more than happy with the briggs engine and wonder why you were ever thinking about getting a honda engine.

Have you looked at the Northern Tool units? I know that you don't have a store close by, but they seem to offer lots of combinations of: engine, pump, cylinder size, vert/horizontal, etc. I think that they have more in their printed catalogs than on their website (?). Splitter parts is how the company got started. Used to be 'Northern Hydraulics'.

I live near their home base, with lots of stores, so they are the ones I compare the others to for: quality, components, price, value, etc.

Philbert

I would strongly suggest the Huskee splitters. I'm in the same boat as you and I just got the 28 ton Huskee last weekend. I've ran all 3 of the Huskee's now. The 22 ton splits some surprising rounds, the 35 ton is heavy to move around and uses more gas, the 28 ton is just right :laugh:. I chose the 28 because it was built a little heavier than the 22 and had the Honda engine.

Had mine out today and it ate all the green cherry I threw at it. This was a pretty good size cherry (about 28" trunk) so it had a couple large, nasty crotches. The little Honda just sips fuel. I'm very impressed with this unit. TSC had it priced $100 off, so it was $1500. I'm not sure if its still on sale or not though.

As long as we are re-visiting splitters. . . .

I was looking at some in a farm and fleet type supply store today. Let me post some of my beliefs/assumptions about splitters and see 'if they stick':

- comparing splitters, if they have the same engine (HP), pump (gpm), and cylinder (bore and stroke) ratings they should exert the same force (tons) and cycle time (seconds);

- larger pumps (e.g. 16 gpm over 11 gpm) will provide faster cycle times, provided that the engine is adequate to drive them;

- a larger cylinder with the same engine and pump will provide more splitting force, but with longer cycle times;

- larger hydraulic reservoirs are better (up to a point of reason);

- horizontal shaft engines are generally better for this application than vertical shaft engines of similar quality.

These notes above do not reflect the quality of the engine, pump, and cylinder (e.g. reliability, longevity, etc.) or of the beam, frame, welding, hoses, etc.

I sense that some people prefer a horizontal only style splitter, despite the apparent versatility of a horizontal/vertical model. As side from wood possibly getting stuck on the wedge, what advantages does/might a horizontal only splitter offer?

Philbert

I sense that some people prefer a horizontal only style splitter, despite the apparent versatility of a horizontal/vertical model. As side from wood possibly getting stuck on the wedge, what advantages does/might a horizontal only splitter offer?Philbert

There isnt a lot of advantages with the horizontal only except for one thing. Most of the horizontal only models have the wedge on the foot rather than on the ram, allowing the split wood to pass on out over the foot and into a wheelbarrow, conveyor, etc and minimizes the amount the wood is handled. Also, when using a four way wedge, it is a common belief that the four way wedge applies to much side to side twisting to hold up when using it on a ram mounted wedge. I have had no problems with my four way wedge on my ram mounted wedge, but time will tell. I have the Speeco 35 ton with the wedge on the ram, and can honestly say I have never swung the thing down into vertical splitting mode. I just lay a ramp off the end of my trailer right on to the splitter and roll any big rounds on it.

Most of the horizontal only models have the wedge on the foot rather than on the ram, allowing the split wood to pass on out over the foot and into a wheelbarrow, conveyor, etc and minimizes the amount the wood is handled.

Thanks Avalancher - that's a good point.

I was wondering if the horizontal only were built beefier as a rule, or if the stress of a wedge pushing a round against a solid foot was any different than a solid foot pushing a round against a wedge, etc.

Philbert

Splitting with an I & O 26 and an older Huskee 35 T. Both are awesome machines as far as we are concerned but the Huskee surprisingly gets my vote. Gas consumption was more but we modified her a bit to ease the fuel pain a little bit. The Huskee starts after 3 days in temps at 5 to 11 degrees. Has a remarkable and powerful sure split as we now call it, through anything we have thrown at it.
On a higher budget go with the Iron and Oak Commercial rigs. Just my opinion !

I don't think anyone has mentioned how much wood you are planning on splitting, but it looks like it is all for your own use, so let me offer a different opinion......

I have a tractor driven/mounted hydraulic splitter that is probably in the 20 to 30 tonne range, and do about 3-5 cords a year for my own use. I happened to buy a simple 6 tonne electric splitter to use at my house rather than use the tractor on the farm, and I cannot say enough good stuff about it. It doesn't power through the wood like the hydro unit, but on 95% of the wood there is no difference, and the odd bit just goes slow. The really rubbish bits just get halved with the saw.

I guess the point I am making is, the electric handles all of my requirements, and you will save enough money to plow into a new chainsaw as well. That's two toys (sorry tools) for the price of one!

By the way, I would never of rated an electric splitter before I bought one, so don't knock it till you try it! I think the most important part of splitting is sometimes the handling, split into a barrow, have the rounds on a trailer next to the splitter, not the floor and have the splitter at the right height. As long as the splitter works, the labour is all in the handling and the splitter matters little.....

"sits back and opens popcorn :)"

...I forgot to say, with the new saw, you can do a bit more noodling if you get into the really big rounds and make them suitable for the smaller splitter!

yep stay away from the Briggs units, They have been EPA and bean counter-ed to death.

I do a lot of work for the local Briggs factory and I must tell you the improvements they have made for quality and reliability in the last decade is impressive. The newer design engines are as good as you can get IMHO.

The EPA affects any engine manufacturer... well maybe not the shinlee engines.

John

Back