Lets talk about breathers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CREC_Sawyer

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've been working on a lot of MS 440s and have been noticing that the breather will have small amounts of gas trickling out of it as I work. I haven't had any luck trying to replace them (damn things break pretty easy) but it got me thinking. The breather equalizes pressure in the tank making it so as it gets low the saw pulls the same amount of gas into the carb (right?). I would imagine the saw would run lean/not have much power although I'm sure there is a more educated way of saying that. So what does it mean when it's coming out of the breather like that?

Also, any tips on replacing the breather? Can I just replace that "sponge" or is there a way to pop the whole thing out?

As always thanks for the wisdom, this site is a life saver (and gives me way too many ideas for tinkering that I don't have time for)

I've head a leaky tank vent on the 180, but its a different type.

Anyways if its working properly it shouldn't leak any fuel.

It's been bugging me all Christmas

Yeah the the "tank vent" that I was working on and the same pictured in the diagram. I'm not sure whether it lets air in or pushes out excess pressure in the gas tank and I'm not sure how that would affect the performance of the saw.

And yeah, usually I take the gas out but also use sutures to clamp the hose shut when switching carbs, wonder if that has anything to do with it

Back