Let's talk lanyards: Who makes their own?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Point taken for disrupting the thread, sorry 'bout that, md.

My point to you, SJ, had a lot more to do with dirty gear and sub par pics than you realize. You are right that they don't appear that great as a selling point to customers but that wasn't what I was going for. A production climber has dirty gear because he uses it and photos are generally an afterthought not the main goal. But let's talk about that lanyard of yours.

TheTreeSpider is a published author in our industry as I assume Tom Dunlap is as well ( I've sure heard his name kicked around enough ) and I have no reason to disrespect their work and can only assume they know a hell of a lot more than me about my profession. Their names attached to a product will get me to look closer at it but their assessment of said product will not be the sole basis of my assessment. I look at the piece of equipment and form my own opinions based on my personal experience and what I know that my profession demands of it's gear. So let's have a look again.

4290444633_14ffd6d882.jpg

You claimed in your first post about this set up that it " uses less hardware " than two separate lanyards. However this lanyard uses two rope snaps, two clevises, two friction hitches and a very long piece of rope. A conventional lanyard set up uses two rope snaps, two 'biners ( or you could put clevises there if you want it permanent or even tie your lanyard to the D rings for more permanence and even less hardware ) , two friction hitches and some rope. One could very easily make 2 lanyards out of a 21 foot piece of rope so we'll not count that as additional gear on a two lanyard set up. Not to mention that the rope that you loose behind your back is not part of the "workable" length of the lanyard. Assuming that stretch of rope behind your back is about 24 inches you essentially lose that amount of line. Boom. Added weight.

Now, the one benefit you did mention was that "virtually all lanyard length is available from one side." This indeed is a good benefit. With this set up you can have one lanyard very long and one very short which would be helpful in some positioning situations but it begs the question why not just carry one long lanyard and one short lanyard with you on the climb? They weigh less, as I already outlined, and it gives you the option of leaving one on the ground if unneeded on the climb.

And my final point...loops, loops, loops.

As any production climber will tell you getting stuck on a branch or nub is a frustrating, annoying and downright dangerous situation. The more loops you have the more chance you have for them to catch on something. A loop of lanyard hanging down on your saw side is sure to entangled with your saw at some point during the climb. I've had webbing loops slip around my feet from time to time when twisting and stretching for a certain position. I've had loops from my saw lanyard hang up on nubs and stop me mid swing. The list can go on and on about how loops of rope can get in the way of an efficient climb.

So, in closing, I've determined that your two so called benefits are not realistically beneficial and moreover, the entire design is a hazard to a productive tree climber.

THE END

:agree2:
I'm with Blakes on this one for the same reasons he
mentions:anything that can snag,eventually will. Don't like anything hanging on the same side as saw.A waste of 2ft of rope.

And one more thing to add.I don't like the idea of both ends being the same color and looking identical.With 2 seperate lanyard,they can be of different colors so as to quickly identify while working.No room for OOPS 60 ft in the air.

Somethings can be over engineered.
Just my .02 worth.

I will however give the workmanship an A++ for all connections knots,and use of thimbals.:cheers:

Im gonna give this rig a thorough workout and let you all know how it runs.

Full time work and full time climbing all sorts of trees big and small so we will see what we will see.

Oh and Blakes, if you are seriously worried about carrying 24 inches of rope you need some more protein in ya diet! :clap:

Each individual lanyard I use has only one rope snap and a 'biner holding the hitches to my Ds. So there is only 2 rope snaps total.

My problem with "hiding" an extra length of lanyard on each side is that it forms a loop which I've already established my hatred of.

You do bring up a very good point, pdq and md. If you have two separate lanyards and one very long one you would be less likely to carry the long one up with you and you could get into an unforeseen situation where it would be beneficial to have. With this lanyard combo you always have it with you regardless.

We've all been in that situation up in the tree where you wish you'd have brought that one extra thing and had to either fight through without or have a groundie run and get, either way it hampers production but mostly is just a pain in the ass. But that is still a 6 in one, half dozen in the other situation. We have also all had climbs where we brought a piece of kit we didn't end up using and it got in the way. I think it comes down to your individual climbing style. I'm a minimalist at heart and like to take as little as possible aloft, while others, as I was demonstrating with SJ's pic prefer to take everything and the kitchen sink topside.

And OOMT, lol, I was just makin' a point about the added weight. I'm not concerned that 2 feet of rope will affect me, I was just illustrating that SJ's set up did not reduce equipment, but in fact, added some. If I ever get to the point where a few extra ounces keeps me from climbing, please, just shoot me.

My main issue with this setup is that it marries you to extra gear that will only be useful a small percentage of the time. In most cases a combination of good placement of your climbline and attachment of one short lanyard will comfortably get you anywhere you want in the tree.

While it stays on the ground for removals, for pruning I often take up my double/motion lanyard. I'll try to take a picture and post if anyone cares enough, but it's 45' of velocity, tight eyes spliced both ends, two prusiks, two biners, two slack pulleys. Fits in a small bag that clips on the back of my harness when needed.

Basically it works like a lanyard and short climb line, that can you alternate ends on. I find I can move the tree very quickly and efficiently with it compared to repositioning my TIP on a longer climb line. Deadwooding a big (100+ ft) oak, I can SRT up to 80' and then skip around the canopy with the lanyard. When I'm done I reattach to the main climb line and come back down.

As noted by Blakes, the one downside is the loop, but I've learned to manage/live with it.

While it stays on the ground for removals, for pruning I often take up my double/motion lanyard. I'll try to take a picture and post if anyone cares enough, but it's 45' of velocity, tight eyes spliced both ends, two prusiks, two biners, two slack pulleys. Fits in a small bag that clips on the back of my harness when needed.

Basically it works like a lanyard and short climb line, that can you alternate ends on. I find I can move the tree very quickly and efficiently with it compared to repositioning my TIP on a longer climb line. Deadwooding a big (100+ ft) oak, I can SRT up to 80' and then skip around the canopy with the lanyard. When I'm done I reattach to the main climb line and come back down.

As noted by Blakes, the one downside is the loop, but I've learned to manage/live with it.

Yes, by all means post some pics. I'd like to see it myself. :cheers:

I'd like to see pics of that, CanopyBoy. A long lanyard/short climbline combo that is easily attached and removed is a great idea for positioning without changing your TIP. :clap: Sounds like you designed it so your hardware is easily removed as well? This would be great if using a throwline to get that next crotch, but I could be imagining it wrong...

Yes, by all means post some pics. I'd like to see it myself. :cheers:

i like pics.

A long lanyard/short climbline combo that is easily attached and removed is a great idea for positioning without changing your TIP. :clap:

that deda flipline setup does look like a whole lotta business going on but i bet it would be the bomb for an all out rec climb.

hey blakes. a 15+ft (not too much past 20) rope flipline is the way to go. bundles up real easy for storage and is great for that extra tip when you making your moves. your going to use your climb line as a second lanyard anyway right? that fliplin i use now is great for 2nd TIP when i am pruning a tree.

does a 4 coil prussik work good with 5/8 3 stand flip

4 coil prussic sucks for easy moving under pressure little man. all you got is the 5/8th strand though?

think about using some tail end of your climbing line or something for a flipline. i know you new to the climbing game but a big fat heavy flipline isnt going to really make any difference. put a nice tri action biner on the dead end with a scaffold knot and get a micro pulley* so that when you do tie your prussic knot for the flipline you can advance it easily.

*regarding micro pulley. there are a bunch of threads going on about the flipline and how to adjust them. micro is easy but cost you. you can use a few different ideas that are running around as we speak.

you dont need the 4 coil for what you up to. if you want i am even willing to send you a piece of beeline 10mm that i run. i'll even tie it up for you and it will be set to my preferred length for the distel.

good luck with it.

hey canopyboy. how that 2hunge treating you?

that deda flipline setup does look like a whole lotta business going on but i bet it would be the bomb for an all out rec climb.

hey blakes. a 15+ft (not too much past 20) rope flipline is the way to go. bundles up real easy for storage and is great for that extra tip when you making your moves. your going to use your climb line as a second lanyard anyway right? that fliplin i use now is great for 2nd TIP when i am pruning a tree.

I don't doubt that it'd be a fun toy to sling around the tree on a rec climb and I love setting up unique applications when I do that but when I'm getting down for production I like to keep things simple and sleek. I am planning on making a nice long lanyard for big removals. Up till now I always just used my climb line as a flipline on the occasional monster, either that or set a line and SRT up to where I can work on my gaffs and flip. I think I'll refrain from affixing rope snaps or anything permanent to it. Probably splice the ends neatly and use 'biners so I can get it in and out of crotches, and use it like a short climbline in tandem with my main one. Any ideas on finding a 'biner/snap combo? I'd like something that opens easily like a regular snap does but I'd need an opening on the other end to slide my splice on? Any thoughts guys?

I'd like to see pics of that, CanopyBoy. A long lanyard/short climbline combo that is easily attached and removed is a great idea for positioning without changing your TIP. :clap: Sounds like you designed it so your hardware is easily removed as well? This would be great if using a throwline to get that next crotch, but I could be imagining it wrong...

attachment.php

Blakes, you've got it I think. One biner holds the hitch and the eye of the lanyard AND clips to my saddle. Hitch never comes off the biner, but the eye can be slipped off and over/off a branch quickly and easily. And yeah, I do use it usually in conjunction with my throwbag.

attachment.php

The hitches and the pulleys are almost brand new, I think I've used them like twice. Before I actually had 3/8 ultratech, and I'm thinking of switching back. The pulleys are staying. I started with a double Blake's hitch set up first though. Blake's with velocity on velocity is the worst though.

Back to the original post, here was a pick of my last regular lanyard when it was fresh off the splicing table.

attachment.php

i like pics.

hey canopyboy. how that 2hunge treating you?

Haven't had a job since I got it. Test drove it in the woods behind my house and had it on the shelf in the barn since. Hoping for better fortunes this spring/summer -- as all y'all are too I'm sure.

All I can think of is a spliced eye and a biner. Not that much worse than a snap to attach with, removes to keep out crotches, and you don't get much simpler.

Not much worse, no, and I'll probably go that route. I looked through the offerings at sherrill and couldn't locate exactly what I wanted either. Oh well.

Can you install and remove those FS devices on your lanyard fairly easily?

Can you install and remove those FS devices on your lanyard fairly easily?

Sorry for the slow reply, been with and without power for a couple days and had a 1/2 mile of snow (24-30") to remove to get to the main road.

To answer your question - fairly easily. The spliced eye jams in them a bit, I've yet to have the FS stay stuck in the tree when I pull the line back. But I can pull them apart in my hands if needed. To put them back on, I need to drop the end of my throwline down the FS, then pull the line through.

The FS is made from a bit of flexible conduit (vinyl? coated metal). The rubbery outside grips the trees and the rope slides on the metal inside quite nicely with a decent bend radius. As low friction as anything else I've tried except a pulley. Got the idea from the rec climbing community, although I shortened em up a lot.

Back