Lewis Mini Winch (chainsaw drive) questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeepyfz450

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So i bought a Demo model "lewis mini winch". the winch attaches to a powerhead and has 100/1 geardrive that is suppose to pull just over 2000lbs using rope (capstan style). the demo unit i bought is missing the larger style drive sprocket. i believe it has a 1/4 drive sprocket which will not fit any of my saws. anybody have one of these winches? how good do they work? what size saw are you driving them with. not really any info that i have found about these on the Net.......

here is the pic

IMG_20121020_182801_368-927334965.jpg

i think i can convert one of my small saws to 1/4 inch drive sprocket and just make a new chain for it. the chain that came with it is very short.

Mmmmmm...SlimJim.

Sorry couldnt resist. Can't help with your winch either. Is it missing more than just the sprocket? I dont see a way to attach it to an anchor point in the pics. Try contacting the manufacturer for information?

I have the cable and bolt that you anchor it down with (just not in the pic). I wanted to drive the winch with my 020T but dont want to switch the rimdrive on that saw because it is outboard and wont be easy to switch back quickly.

Well, best I can find is that it was made by Triway Mfg. of Marysville, Washington back in the 70s. I found a popular science article but it did not have any other useful information, they had a picture of the winch being used to pull a VW bus on a smooth surface so who knows. Cheers.

The older 020av saws were mostly 1/4" chain.

Here's the photo with the VW bus:
miniwinch.jpg

miniwinch2.jpg

according to the article, the 1/2" hole to the left of the drum in your first photo is the anchor point.
It looks like the mini bar pivots, is there enough slack in the chain if the bar is swung around backwards from how it's sitting in the first picture? That would seem to replicate how they have it set up in the popular science picture.

Link to the artical on google books

Any guesses on what saw they are using? That could give an idea of recommended HP.

Last edited:
I have used another capstan saw winch and it seemed to like the 70cc+ saws. Tried a muffler modded ms290 and it just didn't pull enough to be useful.

I have used another capstan saw winch and it seemed to like the 70cc+ saws. Tried a muffler modded ms290 and it just didn't pull enough to be useful.

I was given a "Rule" with about the same pulling specs (2,000 lbs). Tried it once. It wouldn't pull anywhere near what my 2x F150 does. It will be a 'shop queen' and only used where I can't get the truck in position.

Harry K

thanks for the replys guys. this thing is definately setup for small saws. i think it should work good for what it is designed.

Latest posts

Back