Lewis winch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwikfix

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just got my new lewis winch from Bailey's.Snapped the cable after pulling 3 logs. Using a 044 for power

contact lewis winch and tell them your story and see if they will replace the cable and be sure to send them some pictures.

[QUOTEdidn'tris zautner, post: 5568539, member: 123526"]contact lewis winch and tell them your story and see if they will replace the cable and be
contact lewis winch and tell them your story and see if they will replace the cable and be sure to send them some pictures.
Thanks didnt thinks of pics

Baileys sending me a new cable but on backorder for 2 weeks.definitely going to checkout amsteel rope

Keep your rope spooled nicely. Crossing it pinches and you can f##k a rope in 1 pull.
Got taught that first day logging except there was more swearing and warnings with swearing, finger pointing too.
Ah good times

Howdy,
The best set up I heard of for hunting was using electrical wire fish tape. It's about a 1/2" wide, very thin, and very strong for it's size. The best thing about it, is he said he easily put a 1000' on his spool.
Regards
Gregg

IDK...I spent over $100 More for 5500 Pound Test and snapped in the first pull. It was for pine beetle job. Having fell them a couple of winters for an A-star, I definitely know what is under 2000 LB. They sure weren't about to hand me my money back. They said the rope specs are for suspended weight and said it wasn't meant for the application. I then broke the drive pin with the rope with it been way under weight.
Make sure you shortin the cable right away if you didn't last time as they suggest. It ended up stuck and had to springboard a tree and fall it to free it. It's OK if you are around a vehicle but its down time.

I know someone had asked about Lewis winches (many even the OP?)... sorry my memory isn't too good (due to an injury).

Anyhow, I mentioned IMO 4000lbs was quite the stretch for the rating. Also to keep the power head smallish (like 50cc max) or it would break the cable or the actual winch. Pretty much keep the saw as part of the "weak link" where it can't put more power than the winch or cable can handle.
The bolt for the anchor under the winch is a joke, both in size/design and location.

I know the manual talks about upsizing the cable for larger saws. I know the cable isn't much, maybe 3/16"? I have a 3500lb winch on a trailer and it's cable is a fair bit larger.

Work on a few here and there, alot of them used for "skidding" moose or caribou, so maybe 1500ish lbs at most.

For those who can't figure it out 7 horse power

HP is the abbreviation for Horse Power.
Hrs is Hours. Like running time for a machine or aircraft.

I like this game. Got any more riddles?

Just kidding! ;)

How do you like the winch so far? Been tempted to get my hands on a saw powered winch for a while as there are lots of areas I just can't get the tractor into in the woods for pulling out logs. Would be good to be able to use a portable winch to position them where the tractor can reach them.

Howdy,
The best set up I heard of for hunting was using electrical wire fish tape. It's about a 1/2" wide, very thin, and very strong for it's size. The best thing about it, is he said he easily put a 1000' on his spool.
Regards
Gregg
Its called Muletape, we used it for pulling fiber optics cable into ducts,,, it works very well. I comes in different strengths.

http://www.ribbonfactory.com/store/category/34/1.html?gclid=CLiVvZrpv8gCFYdrfgodQWwD6Q

I kept some scrap ends,,, tough stuff but doesnt like shape corners, have seen it so tight I can walk on it!!

BBB

Need to ask 7hrs of what

He can't blame auto correct on this one as its abbreviated.
In
Must mean 7 hours of life within a full year of warrantee no questions asked (as they say) Hey cel phones only give you 30 min or 30 days whichever comes first. Cel phones seem to be more reliable though.

I should be nice as the owner of Lewis winch; I know personally as he use to machine my pistons & jugs.
I'm sure Frank will make it so It never breaks again.

Agree that 4000lbs would be stretching a lewis. I've bent the roll pins in mine with a 660 on it. Didn't break but couldn't have been far off. Having the saw as the weak link is a smart move, definitely 70cc and under I would have thought. (And thats a standard 70cc saw too, not one of the enhanced type)
IMHO.

I have seen it cut right through a long galvanized sweep. I have used it a few times as tow rope.
Must have been a good pull,,, we used it lots as it is know for not doing that,, using lube.
Am looking at a used lewis with saw (make unknown at this point) and extra 350ft of cable 20 years old, asking $800,,, Im thinking its too much.
$900 new here,,
BBB

Latest posts

Back