Lewis Winches

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeInParadise

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Who has a lewis winch and has tried to pull stumps with them.

I have a bunch of smaller stumps that I want to pull mostly under 8 inches.

I am wondering if one of these is up to the task of stump pulling.

I have hundreds of stumps to pull similar in size to these in picture

attachment.php

I would put it on my MS660 for some omphh...

Also how long does it take to install on the chain saw?

SWMBO has offered to get me one for christmas and I am on the fence as to if it would be up to the job of stump pulling!

Thoughts?

I've pulled lots of little stumps, shrubs, etc. I used to do it with a little Cobra Winch, way back when, powered by a Homelite chainsaw motor and a bunch of pulleys. I also have done it with the winch on my Jeep. Neither was a particularly satisfactory experience.

If I were you, I'd save my money and wear on my saw and go buy one of those super-heavy-duty come-alongs. The type with the 3-foot handle, or one of the Maasdam 3- or 4-ton cable pullers would work well, and would save wear on your saw and only cost a fraction of the Lewis and an even smaller fraction of the cost of a toasted 660...

Oh, a Black Rat Recovery Winch might be a good tool to consider, too.

computeruser said:
If I were you, I'd save my money and wear on my saw and go buy one of those super-heavy-duty come-alongs. The type with the 3-foot handle, or one of the Maasdam 3- or 4-ton cable pullers would work well, and would save wear on your saw and only cost a fraction of the Lewis and an even smaller fraction of the cost of a toasted 660...

Actually I have 2 of them a 2 ton and a 4 ton.

They work but I find I can only pull about 20 stumps in a day with them
and I am beat out by the time that I am done.

All the stumps in this before and after picture were pulled by hand as I have
only recently been able to get a vehicle in this area. I have pulled hundreds
this way and it is no fun and I still have hundreds more to go.

attachment.php

This is a smaller stump on the 2 ton

attachment.php

Agreed

Done the same and you will be happier and quicker with a good come along

The Lewis' like rolling loads or sliding loads.....stumps are too jerky and snarly

I have a lewis winch and I wouldn't pull a stump with it. I think the come along would be easier to drag around. Lewis winch alone would break your back dragging from one stump to another. Hundreds, oh man, I thought I was the only glutten for punishment. Go, Mike!:cheers: Let us know how it goes.

the LEWIS winches are GREAT! I have access to one on occasion and they are the cats a$$ for pulling trucks, logs, game what have you. for stump pulling i recomend using a Z rig pulley setup, you gets tons more torque and the winch does'nt bog down. If you can rig a 4: 1 mechanical advantage, you can pull HUGE stumps out.

as always, tie a old rope to each pulley and on the center of the line, anchor it so the rope droops slightly. In case of block or cable or wood failure, the rope will catch the line /block etc and prevent it from becoming a missile into your body.

gmc

See the hitch hooks on the front of your truck? if you pull up real close to the stumps and put a tight hitch on them that truck will pull most of the stumps you have out with no problem . you can also help by cutting some of the roots with a mataxe. this works because as you pull it puts more weight on your front tires along with the engine you get more traction than if you hooked to the back of the truck . I have even used a come along from the truck to the stump you want try to pick the stump up and out.

spacemule said:
Why not just rent a grinder?

Sure would be nice but I can't get one in to where I need it. I have a hard enough time getting a wheel barrow up the hill let alone dragging a grinder.

Right at the start of the hill there is about 75 foot high very steep incline to get to where the majority of stumps are.

Heck I am done in by the time I drag my Alaskan mill with the 660 up the hill.

attachment.php

MikeInParadise said:
Sure would be nice but I can't get one in to where I need it. I have a hard enough time getting a wheel barrow up the hill let alone dragging a grinder.

Right at the start of the hill there is about 75 foot high very steep incline to get to where the majority of stumps are.

Heck I am done in by the time I drag my Alaskan mill with the 660 up the hill.

attachment.php

Yay, more pics like that!!:popcorn:

ASEMASTER said:
See the hitch hooks on the front of your truck? if you pull up real close to the stumps and put a tight hitch on them that truck will pull most of the stumps you have out with no problem . you can also help by cutting some of the roots with a mataxe. this works because as you pull it puts more weight on your front tires along with the engine you get more traction than if you hooked to the back of the truck . I have even used a come along from the truck to the stump you want try to pick the stump up and out.

I agree that the truck would do it and was used up on solid ground that was accessible. If is only recently that I have been able to get the truck down to the creek and only then if we have not had any rain or today when the marsh was frozen.

The problem is getting the truck to the remaining stumps. Also the ground is soft and I have sunk the truck a few times trying to use it and it is just not worth it where the stumps are.

For the stumps you're describing, I'd use my Farmall M. Just have to keep the hitch point low. Buddy told me once that he used to use an old tire between the stump and tractor/truck when pulling stumps. Guess you could get more snap without damaging the tractor. Personally, I wouldn't try it.

I've also used a 966 International w/loader. Just laid the bucket along the ground and shoved the stumps over.

For large stumps, a dozer works best and is far less susceptible to flipping.

Now, I don't know if you have access to this type of equipment.

Chris B.

attachment.php

If you have a reasonable amount of stumps in a location accessible by a vehicle then you need to use a excavator. You can rent a mini one or hire someone. You will be done in 1 day. If the area is not accessible by a vehicle I must ask why is it important to remove the stumps? If you are not wanting them to grow back you should use Tordon and they will not be back. Also if you use Tordon smaller stumps will be rotted out in short time.

Bill

for removal rent a mini excavator (first choice) or 40-50hp 4wd tractor (second choice). keep the stumps uphill from the equipment for more power.

personally i would just cut them off low as possible and drive on.

Bill G said:
If you have a reasonable amount of stumps in a location accessible by a vehicle then you need to use a excavator. You can rent a mini one or hire someone. You will be done in 1 day. If the area is not accessible by a vehicle I must ask why is it important to remove the stumps? If you are not wanting them to grow back you should use Tordon and they will not be back. Also if you use Tordon smaller stumps will be rotted out in short time.

Bill

Actually I have been thinking of a renting mini excavator and wondering how much power they have when it comes to stumps and moving rocks and what kind of incline they can go up.

One day I am going to put in a road to access the area but I just do not have the $$$ to do it now. I have some time now so I am brushing and clearing and would like the stumps gone while I have the time to do it.

I am going to look up Tordon as I do have stuff that was cleared last year starting to regrow but I just whack it off the shoots with the brush cutter.

Latest posts

Back