Liability Insurance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

utilityman

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,
I am a professional lineman who has done quite a bit of tree work on the side.
I will be retiring in less than 10 years. I am interested in expanding my part time tree business. I seem to be having a hard time finding a company that will write a liability insurance policy. They are saying that unless I have documented proof of doing tree work for years they do not want to insure me.

I have been a high voltage certified lineman for 15 years. We routinely remove :chainsaw: hazardous trees from energized lines all the time. We also do circuit tree trimming when other linework gets slow. In addition I have taken The Game of Logging Chainsaw Classes and am also NYloggerTrained.

Don't get me wrong guys, I have the utmost respect for professional tree workers but feel that I am more than qualified. Any ideas on getting an insurance company to write a policy:

Try your existing insurance agent first. Explain to him that you would like to get liability insurance and that you will be doing it only occasionally at first and see what he says. It shouldn't really be a problem. You should be able to get a $1,000,000.00 policy for $1,000.00-$2,000.00 a year no problem. Unless you have some history that would pervent the policy being written.

Good Luck!

Take the Certified Utility Arborist Exam. Your co. should be glad to sponsor you. Maybe then you could obtain Liability Ins. w/ discount. Former Buffalo- Rochester, N. Y. businessman now residing in Savannah, Ga.

Hello guys,
I am a professional lineman who has done quite a bit of tree work on the side.
I will be retiring in less than 10 years. I am interested in expanding my part time tree business. I seem to be having a hard time finding a company that will write a liability insurance policy. They are saying that unless I have documented proof of doing tree work for years they do not want to insure me.

I have been a high voltage certified lineman for 15 years. We routinely remove :chainsaw: hazardous trees from energized lines all the time. We also do circuit tree trimming when other linework gets slow. In addition I have taken The Game of Logging Chainsaw Classes and am also NYloggerTrained.

Don't get me wrong guys, I have the utmost respect for professional tree workers but feel that I am more than qualified. Any ideas on getting an insurance company to write a policy:

It is almost that you have to admit that you worked non-insured before they will insure you. I don't think being non-insured is illegal, just tell the people who you work for and if they are ok then what is the big deal?

Here is a question, is it common for a tree service thats had too many claims to get dropped and then nobody will insure them ? The reason I ask is because this hack around here with all this sweet equipment is rumored to have no liability and I cant figure out how with all that money he cant afford ins. ? I know he breaks alot of stuff, I'm not sure if he's allready switched in the past. I've never had a claim so I dont know how it works-do they have ways of tracking how many claims they've allready had with other ins. companies? they must I would think, so is it possible thats whats up ? I hope so, this guys a real jem.

Here is a question, is it common for a tree service thats had too many claims to get dropped and then nobody will insure them ? The reason I ask is because this hack around here with all this sweet equipment is rumored to have no liability and I cant figure out how with all that money he cant afford ins. ? I know he breaks alot of stuff, I'm not sure if he's allready switched in the past. I've never had a claim so I dont know how it works-do they have ways of tracking how many claims they've allready had with other ins. companies? they must I would think, so is it possible thats whats up ? I hope so, this guys a real jem.

State Insurance, apparently they have to cover you no matter what but they can charge a lot.
There is a guy around here who has his crew break everthing that they come across. I don't see the logic in his game plan but he tells me he is full bore with the ins and wc. He has been around for 20 years and has usually employed the bottom of the barrel, actually he always does.
If he can get ins. anybody can. If he can stay in business, well, I guess anybody can do that as well. I don't see how or why.
Chances are even the businesses that appear to have it together don't. There is a lot going on back stage, it can get creepy. I have ins and some education but I always feel that in the next minute it won't mean squat and my business is at the mercy of some pencil pusher who just figured out another rule that I need to follow and that rule is going to cost me a few bucks. And of course all the rules I don't know about or could possibly remember.

State Insurance, apparently they have to cover you no matter what but they can charge a lot.
There is a guy around here who has his crew break everthing that they come across. I don't see the logic in his game plan but he tells me he is full bore with the ins and wc. He has been around for 20 years and has usually employed the bottom of the barrel, actually he always does.
If he can get ins. anybody can. If he can stay in business, well, I guess anybody can do that as well. I don't see how or why.
Chances are even the businesses that appear to have it together don't. There is a lot going on back stage, it can get creepy. I have ins and some education but I always feel that in the next minute it won't mean squat and my business is at the mercy of some pencil pusher who just figured out another rule that I need to follow and that rule is going to cost me a few bucks. And of course all the rules I don't know about or could possibly remember.
State ins., never heard of it, can you tell me more ? I looked at a job that I was actually refered to, told the guy 2400 to take down 2 of the biggest Butternut trees I'd ever seen-guy sounded real positive and my price was fair. Well the next thing I know a buddy calls me two weeks later and tells me a mason friend is rebuilding the retaining wall at 15000 ins. claim. I guess the crane or storm chaser outriggers blew it out. Then I hear he went out to ohio or whereever that ice storm was`for four weeks and could'nt get a single job cuz no ins. :monkey: Thats why I ask, I mean if thats true what else could it be?

Thanks for writing back guys. Just to set the record straight. I have never had an insurance claim and have quite a few satisfied customers. The jobs I have done in the past were always screened for high risk before I excepted them. I have always been honest with the customers up front and told them that I didn't carry liability insurance. So far every customer has been ok with this. Like I said, I would like to be able to take on the bigger jobs. This is why I am trying to do the right thing and carry the proper insurance, to protect the customer and myself. I wonder how many guys out there that say they are fully insured really are? I have a feeling they are not!

State ins., never heard of it, can you tell me more ? I looked at a job that I was actually refered to, told the guy 2400 to take down 2 of the biggest Butternut trees I'd ever seen-guy sounded real positive and my price was fair. Well the next thing I know a buddy calls me two weeks later and tells me a mason friend is rebuilding the retaining wall at 15000 ins. claim. I guess the crane or storm chaser outriggers blew it out. Then I hear he went out to ohio or whereever that ice storm was`for four weeks and could'nt get a single job cuz no ins. :monkey: Thats why I ask, I mean if thats true what else could it be?

I don't understand your story but The State Ins. fund is for bozos who have had to many claims and can't get no insurance from a private carrier like Nationwide. The state steps in because they think that you are entitled to be insured no matter what, the most expensive way. You don't want it, it means you suck. Pa has it for auto ins to.

Thanks for writing back guys. Just to set the record straight. I have never had an insurance claim and have quite a few satisfied customers. The jobs I have done in the past were always screened for high risk before I excepted them. I have always been honest with the customers up front and told them that I didn't carry liability insurance. So far every customer has been ok with this. Like I said, I would like to be able to take on the bigger jobs. This is why I am trying to do the right thing and carry the proper insurance, to protect the customer and myself. I wonder how many guys out there that say they are fully insured really are? I have a feeling they are not!

G L ins. is carried for the sake of the homeowner and if they want to sign off on it they can, but most don't like that idea.
W C is mandatory for your employees, you need GL to get WC more often than not.
The only way you can win if you sue a homeowner is if you can prove them negligent. I think it is a common misconception that a homeowner is responsible if you fall out of a tree. It does rely on the contract you have with the I guess but the normal thing is: they hired you because you are a pro, if you claim to know what you are doing...
Take this with a grain of salt as state law varies, I don't know crap, and this is one crazy world.

. Then I hear he went out to ohio or whereever that ice storm was`for four weeks and could'nt get a single job cuz no ins. :monkey: Thats why I ask, I mean if thats true what else could it be?

His insurance probably only covers work in his home state...

We carry million-2 million & allows for a 100 mi. work radius. We are located in Savannah, Ga. & our policy allows us to work ( 20 min. drive ) in nearby South Carolina, this would include Hilton Head, S.C. which is 45 mi., one way.This is a great addition to our policy. We rarely venture into S. C. out of common courtesey to our competetors. The way the economic forecast for 2008 is heading we may venture into the boader areas of S.C.. All is contingent upon this years business outlook.

Have you tried the companies advertised in the Tree Equipment Trader magazine?

NACUAA, Inc.

PO Box 469 / Sandy, UT 84091

Toll Free: (800) 433-6162 / Fax: (800) 666-7560

If you follow their links, this company says they insure tree care companies.

I asked my liability insurance company and, while they said they don't normally insure outside of the midwest, they would do what they could to help you find coverage if you have no other options. PM me if you are desperate and want their contact info.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back