Lifetime Stihl Saw Model

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenchWorker

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I’ve become a bit obsessed over the last couple years rebuilding small 2-stroke engines.

I now have 3-4 FS80 trimmers for parts and enough aftermarket accessories to maintain a running FS80 until I’m worm food.

We burn a wood stove in the winter, and I’d like to do the same thing for my chainsaw. Currently have an 025 that I like OK, but looking for input on which model Stihl I should run forever and start stashing parts for.

I cut firewood every winter and trim/drop trees on our ~70 acre homestead regularly - but not professionally. Don’t want something overly heavy, but built to last!

I’ve become a bit obsessed over the last couple years rebuilding small 2-stroke engines.

I now have 3-4 FS80 trimmers for parts and enough aftermarket accessories to maintain a running FS80 until I’m worm food.

We burn a wood stove in the winter, and I’d like to do the same thing for my chainsaw. Currently have an 025 that I like OK, but looking for input on which model Stihl I should run forever and start stashing parts for.

I cut firewood every winter and trim/drop trees on our ~70 acre homestead regularly - but not professionally. Don’t want something overly heavy, but built to last!
What kind of trees are on your property? How big?

What kind of trees are on your property? How big?
I’ve got a sprinkling of a lot, walnut, maple, oak, locust. I’d say I only drop anything bigger than 18” in diameter once or twice a year, but there are some monsters that will need to come down eventually.

But realistically, 90% of my work is dropping small to medium sized trees and cutting firewood.

08s their tough and reliable and all kinda of one and aftermarket parts for that family of engines(08s and ts 350/ts360 concrete saws available still.
I hadn’t looked at this option, was mostly looking at older 26/36/46, but I’ll have to look closer. Availability of replacement parts and aftermarket parts is definitely a huge piece of what I’m looking for.

But I do like the availability of the older saws. I picked up two of my fs80 parts trimmers for next to nothing.

I'm the same with you, except my trimmer collection is of the FS85 flavor.
If your 025 is still running well, I would look for an 036 as they are tough and parts are readily available, not to mention that they are lighter than a 046(which is a great saw that everyone should have). If your 025 is up to the tasks on your place, but want a saw that is designed be repaired and maintained then I would look for a 026.

I'm the same with you, except my trimmer collection is of the FS85 flavor.
If your 025 is still running well, I would look for an 036 as they are tough and parts are readily available, not to mention that they are lighter than a 046(which is a great saw that everyone should have). If your 025 is up to the tasks on your place, but want a saw that is designed be repaired and maintained then I would look for a 026.
I appreciate this insight a lot. And while my trimmers are FS80’s, the one I use has a shaft from an fs85 😉

I have a couple running 025's, 1 I use much the other, barely used I am keeping for old age and, or my estate auction if that happens . Would like to work in 1 with easy start also. I wouldn't want to be without an 025 at this point in my life, I suppose an ms250 would do the same. Think I would like to keep an ms200 and a lighter saw yet around also like the ms 180 which i have 2 runners currently. Not hard finding and collecting extra parts for the 180 and they have been reliable for me. I really like the 034, 044,064 and ms 660
. As long as i can handle them i wouldn't want to be without. I like my Husqvarna 365 well also and parts are sourced easy for it.
Bought a Makita 6100 thinking it might be a good saw to finish getting old with. Not convinced parts will be readily available and that is built as tough as the older Stihls but I will give it some time.

026, 034/36, 044, 046 are all good choices for your build and stock plan. Pick the sizes that make sense for the wood you cut and how much saw your wish to carry around.

Possibly you could add 361 if you could find some. That was always a great saw. They don’t seem to show up too often these days.

Strangely enough the model your looking for is yellow in color and called a ProMac 10-10, it will out live you and be passed down to your kin.
You're welcome.
My neighbor just bought one off his uncle without me knowing at least I will be able to get it running and working for him better then the poulan they used to have.

Strangely enough the model your looking for is yellow in color and called a ProMac 10-10, it will out live you and be passed down to your kin.
You're welcome.
You’ve piqued my interest for sure, but what makes it so much better than a Stihl 36? I was thinking I could pass it on if I take care of it and have parts haha.

Also, I’ve seen several people reference the 034/036, but no mention of the 38. How does the 38 compare to the 36? Looks like there’s one for sale locally.

038 are built like tanks
some will say they weigh bout the same too
never scaled one but to me feel between my 044 & 460 for weight
one in good cond will last a long time
check bore size, there are 3 - 48, 50, 52mm
i have no exp w/48
super [50], mag [52] get no complaints from me

+1 on 460

026, 034/36, 044, 046 are all good choices for your build and stock plan. Pick the sizes that make sense for the wood you cut and how much saw your wish to carry around.
I agree with these options!
Living in the Pacific NW, I have, and use them all!
046's will do almost everything, but I added a 462R because of the weight factor :)

Back