Stihl Professional Saws gone?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiwiKen

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
When I were a lad aged 40... Stihl had two ranges of saws. Consumer/Farm was the biggest range and then there was the Professional range - 024, 038, 066 etc and they clearly disininguished beween the differences.

Consumer saws were repairable and could last 25 years but if the saw was sevevely damaged or run on a bad fuel mix - that saw was end. No repairs.

The Pro saws could be rebuilt because they were used by forestry people and would last a lifetime. One of my friends has a 50yr old saw which still runs beautifully today.

WI was in the Stihl shop today and afterwards wondered why Pro saws weren't mentioned although they must have had a few.

Any thoughts?

Mate- how many tins are you through?
Go check Stihl NZ's website- you will see a clear distinction between pro and consumer/homeowner saws and I am willing to bet your local shop had a few on the shelves- but they are harder to spot now- the new pro saws are much flasher looking and nicer feeling than they were 30 years or more ago.

When I were a lad aged 40... Stihl had two ranges of saws. Consumer/Farm was the biggest range and then there was the Professional range - 024, 038, 066 etc and they clearly disininguished beween the differences.

Consumer saws were repairable and could last 25 years but if the saw was sevevely damaged or run on a bad fuel mix - that saw was end. No repairs.

The Pro saws could be rebuilt because they were used by forestry people and would last a lifetime. One of my friends has a 50yr old saw which still runs beautifully today.

WI was in the Stihl shop today and afterwards wondered why Pro saws weren't mentioned although they must have had a few.

Any thoughts?

You can even identify Stihl pro saws by the numbering convention. It used to be that the last digit was even on a pro model(044, 066,) Nowadays, it's the 2nd digit (201t, 261,362,400,462,500,661,881.)

Back