Lifetime Stihl Saw Model

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You’ve piqued my interest for sure, but what makes it so much better than a Stihl 36? I was thinking I could pass it on if I take care of it and have parts haha.
Well I was being a little silly, but you'll find old McCulloch 10 series saws generally run for 2-3 generations and require very little maintenance, the Promac700 being my favorite.
I will agree that the 038 stihls are an extremely well built saw and also will do whats demanded for years.
Obviously your intention is to have a long lasting tool and maintain it the best you can ;and as long as you follow through on those intentions it doesn't matter what brand you choose . I would however suggest any "Pro" model from any era, even Poulan had some very fine Pro models that have stood the test of time.
I'm sure you'll be successful with whatever saw you choose if maintained properly.

I’ve become a bit obsessed over the last couple years rebuilding small 2-stroke engines.

I now have 3-4 FS80 trimmers for parts and enough aftermarket accessories to maintain a running FS80 until I’m worm food.

We burn a wood stove in the winter, and I’d like to do the same thing for my chainsaw. Currently have an 025 that I like OK, but looking for input on which model Stihl I should run forever and start stashing parts for.

I cut firewood every winter and trim/drop trees on our ~70 acre homestead regularly - but not professionally. Don’t want something overly heavy, but built to last!
I pretty much wore out a 025..rather than rebuild I went to a Echo 490. A bit bigger but worked well for the last 2 years. Option.

I find more saws are ruined from sitting around with fuel in them, the carbs and fuel handling components degrade and the non maintained saws get run with air leaks, not properly tuned or on bad mix or straight gassed, fewer saws get run enough to actually wear them out completely.

I started in 1981 working on 041s and am still working on 041s. They won't die if maintained.
Compression went down from 155 to 90 psi. Used to cut wood to heat home and shop. 2002 until 2020. Used like a Pro saw. Only ever adjusted the idle and I am extremely anal about my fuel.

I have an 038 I bought new forty-some years ago, use it with bars from 16" to 28", have kept it clean, use sharp chains, etc. etc. and it cuts as well as it always has. All of the other saw I have are "rescues" (come from the dump, other forms of abandonment or sale for $25 because they are not running) get fixed, join the group. FWIW, I think a person can have any well made saw for a very long time if a) one does quite a bit of "learning" and b) one keeps the saws "happy" (cleans out the chain grove, flips the bar), has the chain tension always right, changes the diaphragm in the carb when alcohol has stiffened it, etc. The "learning" helps so that one knows clearly and immediately as one is just "using" (productively) the saw on the one hand and "beating the s..... out of it) on the other. All of the well made saws that I see that come to a bad end I have seen treated thoughtlessly and impatiently aggressively.

Quick question: You all have talked about 025 026 038 041 etc. How the 039? are they any good? Are parts available? Please post what some of you think. I have one, I like it, It starts "ok" and runs great, the only drawback for me is: I'm 64 and it has super high compression and hard for me start. Just wondering if iot is a good saw. Thank you.

Quick question: You all have talked about 025 026 038 041 etc. How the 039? are they any good? Are parts available? Please post what some of you think. I have one, I like it, It starts "ok" and runs great, the only drawback for me is: I'm 64 and it has super high compression and hard for me start. Just wondering if iot is a good saw. Thank you.
Has it been good to you? If so then its a good saw, they are a clamshell saw so many hotrodders don`t have much use for them, The 029 and 039 are in the homeowner occasional use category but they cut wood and that is what is expected from a chainsaw. Many on this site believe the only good saw is a PRO series saw but that is because of the PRO saws are built better and they are easier to port and modify for extra power from stock.

I find more saws are ruined from sitting around with fuel in them, the carbs and fuel handling components degrade and the non maintained saws get run with air leaks, not properly tuned or on bad mix or straight gassed, fewer saws get run enough to actually wear them out completely.
T!

If you aren’t going to cut anything that needs more than a 20” bar the majority of the time), and on the occasion you need to make two cuts to buck your rounds out for firewood just get a nice 261C or 261CM. You’ll never outgrow it or it outlast you.
I’ve had several 361 and they are fantastic saws but a bit heavy for little stuff and limbing etc. the 261 is my all time favorite because 95% of the time the crap I’m cutting up I can get by with a 16” bar and I am convinced nothing on earth can bog down or stall a 16” .325 .063 with sharp rapid super and good ethanol free mix- it weighs as little as a toy chainsaw. It sips fuel. Yeah I’ve got a 461 that I bought with a 25” bar for a massive horker of a Lightning struck tree that I could not cut up with a 20” bar or move with my tractor. It has been used maybe one or twice since then with a 20” bar for trees or stumps bigger than the 16” bar 261 will do. The 25” bar has been used once, and I got a 36” bar for an emergency job with RM skip and it had no problem pulling it. Like many have said above the 461 is also a fantastic saw, but you’re still adding weight for nothing if you don’t need the added HP.
I have been tempted to get a 661CM to wear the 36” bar but in honesty on over 100ac I’d be hard pressed to find more than 10 trees I couldn’t cut up with a 28” bar, and all of them I’d cry if I had to cut down/cut up anyway. I have one oak that my mother planted with her father when she was about 6- it’s nearly 75 years old now- circumference is over 15 foot! If I had to have one saw only it would be the 261. I still remember how bad my back hurt after limbing all day with a pair of 361’s wearing 20” bar’s of .050 3/8 RS chain because someone on the internet told me anything smaller wouldn’t work.

Tbh I wish I had nabbed a 241 when they were available and modded them to run the 3/8 picco rapid super chain. I bet those would limb like a lightsaber

Latest posts

Back