Light Rigging?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So now you think you're a psychiatrist too? Get over yourself Carbie.

Care to answer the ???'s I asked earlier? Is it that you don't know, or that you'd rather just spread #### like it's peanut butter?

Maybe if you stopped making BS statements like "Once you learn to calculate dynamic loading......", when you really don't know, you wouldn't get called out for being full of it.

Hey, I know, let's be reaaaalllly serious now. Let's get reaaaaaalllllllll serious man, come on, let's get reaaalllyy serious.

LMAO

With light or heavy, the key is letting the limb or chunk run -- stopping it dead is never a good idea -- forces increase rapidly with the length of the drop if the load is stopped on the line.

Heavy rigging can take it, but stressing the rigging and rope can damage it, and reduce its working limits.

Example:my climber had a favorite little scrap of rope he liked to use with which he tied his pulley on the trunk for dropping the top of a big pine we were taking down. Probably would have been OK, but the rigging line flipped around the back of the block, more or less stopping the line from running, and the scrap snapped, sending everything to the ground and taking out a fence.

Heavier rigging would have held, but might have been damaged as well. I had to retire a moderately used 200 ft. 1/2 in. lowering line. At least the fence would have been OK -- four 16 ft. old-growth fir boards were splintered to bits.

Also, heavier blocks are chunkier and less likely to catch a loop of rope. My lighter block, a CMI, was rated for the work, but is lighter and allowed a bight of the rope to snag around it; my heavy block is physically much heavier and doesn't have a potential gap to catch the rope.

I have always preferred "light rigging". Gives you all the fun with only half the calories.

NOW you guys know how I have remained so darned good lookin' all these years.....yup......and I am completely serious.

And before any one says it, my camera is mysteriously broken right at the moment.

Latest posts

Back