Lightening hit our tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shay

Reaction score
I live at the end of a cul-de-sac. During construction of our house lightning struck a poplar tree near the front of our house. The lightning traveled the root system and struck our front steps knocking a hole in the concrete footing and also the masonry foundation wall the size of a basketball. We knew the poplar tree was severely damaged, but were unsure of the condition of the surrounding trees (red and white oaks). About a year later eight other trees died that were within a twenty-foot radius of the original severely damaged poplar tree. Our question is this: In your professional opinion, could the lightning have caused the demise of the other eight trees? Our insurance company is requesting documentation from a reliable source stating that it is in fact possible for lightning to have caused the death of the other eight trees.

If you are unable to answer my question, could you recommend a source?

Thank you in advance for your time in this matter.

Sincerely,

David and Shay McGehee

Jasper, Alabama

In order to satisfy your insurance company, you will need a written statement from a certified arborist. If you go to http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/ you can find all the certified arborists in your area.
There are also 'consulting arborists' who have more schooling, and specialize in consultations only. To find the ones in your area go to http://www.asca-consultants.org/

It is very possible that lightening killed the other trees. It is also very possible (and more likely) that the tree roots were severely damaged during construction. The vast majority of builders actually kill most of the trees that they try to 'save' through improper and inadequate protection of the root zones during construction. But they have their money and are long gone before the trees die 2-5 years later. :(

Your site needs to be evaluated in person to try and determine the cause of the trees dying.

TC165,
Is right, the combination of construction damage and the lightening strike plus drought, insects and diseases (after construction) were probably to must for mature trees to handle.

And you can still lose trees after 10 years from construction.

just as a follow up, I had a white pine hit from lightening and I didnt loose any other trees next to them but they definately had branches that were "burnt" by the heat and are now brown.

there is a phenomenon called halo effect that could be the cause. (could not find anything on the web with a quick search). Has to do with the EM feild surrounding the bolt.

Latest posts

Back