Lightning vs Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricSchultz

Reaction score
Greetings!

Two days ago lightning struck an oak tree in my front yard. The tree is 10.5' circ (~3.5' dia) and estimated at 80' tall. I have attached two photos. Oak1 is the worst of the damage, Oak2 shows more of the damage higher in the tree (note the hanging stripped bark). There are no sections where the bark is missing completely around the trunk. I do not see any deep damage to the tree, mostly all bark stripped clean from the top of a small limb to the base.

I have read a little and have heard some say that lightning struck trees survive if left alone, others say to remove the tree. I would like to see the tree remain as it provides much shade to the front of my home. I have no way (and no desire) to climb the tree.

So I'm looking for some advice. Thanks in advance!

Eric

All oaks and other trees I've seen lightening struck were killed. Although they wii appear healthy for awhile.

That looks like quite a lot of damage. However, there is no rush to cut it down right at this minute. I would just wait and see.

Bob

Hard to tell. Lightning can boil the sap; and cause some serious cellular damage that is not noticable initially. You may end up with some internal wood that dies, and is not visible on the outside right away. On the other hand, it may only impact a smaller portion of tree, or have limited impact. It does look like it took a fairly good strip of bark off, but can not see if it has actually split the trunk or not.

I would leave it and monitor. Watch for other signs and come back if you have any updated info or pictures.

I have seen trees blown in pieces by lightning; and others survive for a fairly long time after a fairly decent hit. These I mention were non-urban trees; but really no difference from a health perspective related to lightning.

so hire someone else to climb and assess so you know what happened. waitandsee can lower odds of survival; best to assess promptly and treat if feasible.

Updated photo

Greetings!

In recent weeks the leaves on the lower limbs have been turning brown and falling. I have attached a photo taken with my phone (not the best, but you'll get the idea). My wife wants to believe that in the spring these limbs will resprout leaves, but I am not so sure.

There are no visible splits in the heart of the tree, the only damage seems to be the bark being removed.

Thanks for any additional input.

Eric

you can wait ant see what it does, clean up the damage as best possible, some survive, it doesnt appear that anything is in danger of damage if a second wind storm brings it down due to structural damage save maybe other trees and its close enough to the road i think a bucket could get to it easily for removal if its deemed unsafe to climb
i wouldnt get my hopes up though, that tree looks like it was hit pretty hard, it might live but itll never give the shade it used to

Thank you all for your input. Cutting it down seems to be the best thing to do at this point, I agree. It is a shame because that tree would produce wheelbarrow loads of acorns. I will update if anything changes.

Latest posts

Back