"Like New" Craftsman 3.4

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardhat

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Found a like new Craftsman 3.4 (rebadged Poulan 3400) locally that I am going to pick up tomorrow with plans to resell for a profit. According to the owner, the saw came from an old guy who bought it for a storm that never came, so he never even fueled the saw. The guy that is selling the saw got it from the old man, put gas in it and ran it for 30 seconds. Has got the original case.... He is selling it for what a used 3400 would go for so it is cheap. How much value does a saw lose due to being fueled just to start it? No longer a total virgin, but has never seen wood ;). Anyhow, I'll post up pics and put this thing in classifieds after I get it. I am excited about it, as I have a Poulan 3400 that is a good saw. I wish the guy would have never fueled it, but he probably thought he was doing a good thing to make sure that it ran after sitting for 30+ years. Probably as close to new in box as I'm gonna get.

Found a like new Craftsman 3.4 (rebadged Poulan 3400) locally that I am going to pick up tomorrow with plans to resell for a profit. According to the owner, the saw came from an old guy who bought it for a storm that never came, so he never even fueled the saw. The guy that is selling the saw got it from the old man, put gas in it and ran it for 30 seconds. Has got the original case.... He is selling it for what a used 3400 would go for so it is cheap. How much value does a saw lose due to being fueled just to start it? No longer a total virgin, but has never seen wood ;). Anyhow, I'll post up pics and put this thing in classifieds after I get it. I am excited about it, as I have a Poulan 3400 that is a good saw. I wish the guy would have never fueled it, but he probably thought he was doing a good thing to make sure that it ran after sitting for 30+ years. Probably as close to new in box as I'm gonna get.
never fueling a crapsman,,aint going to change its value one bit....and bad as I don't like stihl, any of the bigger names will add value......I know this guy,,that knows where theres a certain saw id like to get my hands on...................................:D:D still in the original box!!!!!! :yes:

His asking price of $150 would be retail for me. Good thing it wasn't cheaper, I would have called him and bought it tonight. With the info you have provided someone may just do that anyway...

His asking price of $150 would be retail for me. Good thing it wasn't cheaper, I would have called him and bought it tonight. With the info you have provided someone may just do that anyway...
That would be cold to buy it out from under me. I guess it wouldn't be too hard to find the saw with the info I provided. I'm glad it wasn't cheaper, then :) . Will be neat to have a basically brand new old saw, just to oooh and aaah a little bit. Will post up pics tomorrow if all goes well.

If it is not sold it is fair game. I make it a policy to never discuss a saw I am buying until it is in my possession. The ad for the 3.4 has been up for 29 days, I am surprised it has not sold.

This running 4400 with a bow was on my doorstep today, not bad for $50.

image.jpg image.jpg

If it is not sold it is fair game. I make it a policy to never discuss a saw I am buying until it is in my possession. The ad for the 3.4 has been up for 29 days, I am surprised it has not sold.

View attachment 420519 View attachment 420520
A good policy I am sure. That 4400 for $50 is awesome. I'll have to look harder to find deals like that. I just stumbled on this one in plain sight. I look for saws quite often, don't know why I didn't see this one sooner.

View attachment 420519 View attachment 420520
Awesome find for $50 on the 4400. Wish I could find deals like that. Love the bow too. I had a 5200 that was just plain mean with a bow.

The guy I sent to pic up the saw actually haggled with the guy on price and got the Craftsman 3.4 for $140 :) Saw is on its way back to the office and I should have it this afternoon. Will post up pics.

Here are the pics. Saw runs great and looked like it had just sat for a long time. Is this factory overspray on the paint? Or has someone got a rattle can out?
239d2c71d2bdfa407b7a529458ada4ed.jpg
11de6a500e1ac21ab116774fc7572cd2.jpg
9c5f7eb15f2fe348faf86257e7e27f86.jpg
cf9c4ebb757cf4707bbeed339915c973.jpg
c58f92102ed7d99646b64d848b7c4148.jpg
4771e70a6b2f5c7ccda37d48180c1282.jpg
1706638e2bbc14f80043408ede22e346.jpg
02f01e049169ab3fcd81c8edf74fdfd5.jpg

I think the old man made out well. I wouldn't have gave more than $40 for it.

Someone's been at the carb. The head slots show the signs of it.
I'd figure on checking that out and all of the related gaskets.
Intake and all.

I'd take a good look at the fuel lines also, A chance that they're stiff.
Make sure the filter is in place.

Nice one! I'd run it after changing out to new lines, and checking the oiler breather foam for deterioration and replacing if needed.

I ain't got no shelf queens!

never fueling a crapsman,,aint going to change its value one bit....

Not true at all. There are many Craftsman chainsaw models that are extremely good saws manfactured by the "bigger names" companies and sold under the Craftsman name. Keep in mind at one time Poulan was a "bigger name" in chainsaws.

No, I'm not going to list any of them, there's no point in driving up the prices ;).

Back