Lil help on freebie wood id

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Car Knocker

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I got a bunch of wood from an old lady last year. There were no leaves to help id when I got it. I cut a truck load and let it sit since last summer. This stuff is hell to hand split and has been split by wedge and sledge and still ain't easy. I am guessing maybe elm, what do you guys think? The bark has peeled off easy now that it is dry. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

pretty sure you got some elm. some hickory is stringy like that but only when green. not sure about the oddball but i have seen that before. possibly some type of nut wood.

I appreciate the help. I was first thinking that it was an elm, when it was greener I sunk two wedges in it and they stayed there all year. It is still stringy too.

I appreciate the help. I was first thinking that it was an elm, when it was greener I sunk two wedges in it and they stayed there all year. It is still stringy too.

I agree that you have elm. I have sunk wedges in elm also with not hint of split or crack, might as well have hammered into sand.

The oddball piece looks like oak to me, but I am not sure.

the first set of pics is definitely elm. are both pics in post #4 the same piece?

check the bark in the last set of pics if the cross section view has alternating layers of redish-brown and creamy white. then its american elm.

Post 4 was a separate tree that stumped me also. It is amazing how many people tell you they have a bunch of oak lying around for you to take and you find its either sweet gum or box elder

I always heard elm was good firewood. This stuff has been sitting for a year as stacked rounds. I have been splitting it here lately and it seems like it has dried out pretty good.

2nd odd ball kind of looks like hackberry where the warty bark has been dragged on concrete
my thoughts exactly!!! but I believe the 2nd pic in post 4 is the same piece. and since hackberry is white or greyish it cant be hackberry.

Latest posts

Back