Lil Homelite XL fixer upper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fortune50

Reaction score
Hi everyone, a new member here, but definitely not new to these online forums, lol.
I'd like some info from members with experience with these little Homelite saws. Mine is a 14" XL model UT 10618. FYI it has no oil pump for the chain oiler, just a line from the crankcase to the tank. It was my father's saw and he gave it to me in exchange for helping him with "a bunch of stuff". He had bought a new Craftsman 18" saw (aka Poulan, lol).
Basically, this lil Homelite's been running super rich and smoking like a chimney. I've got the engine out of the case and everything looks ok except for the duckbill vent in the oil tank, it basically turned to mush when I touched it, lol. BTW the chain oiler hasn't worked properly since around 1988, lol. The fuel tank was bone dry, I'm not sure if the gas leaked out of it or if it evaporated off somehow, as I had put gas in it last Fri, it should've had 1/2 tank of gas in it...?
The carb is a Tillotson HK 27A from the looks of it. I'm going to buy a carb kit for it, so I'd like info on what kit # to buy and any tips on the process of rebuilding it and getting it back together properly, also tightening torque specs would be helpful. I've rebuilt float type carbs in the past with mixed results, rebuilt a Briggs diaphragm (suction) carb with bad results, lol.
Also, the chain bar mount stud is stripped, how does that come out, is it pressed in? Also, the chain adjusting screw is missing, but I still have the locating pin (luckily). That's probably why the bar mount stud is stripped, lol.
Can't think of anything else offhand to ask other than to thank you in advance for any kind advice/experience. :)
EDIT: Forgot to ask if anyone knows where to find an exploded view of the Tillotson HK carbs...

Last edited:
Hey there 50, welcome to the forum!

Thers a recent thread where we dealt with the oiling broblems on these lil XL's.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=39538&highlight=XL+oiler

Your going to need a new duckbill valve (obviously) mabye two.

The gas issue could have been caused by a variety of reasons and it would be hard to diagnose over the net.

Someone should chime in with the carb kit # and possably the kit its self.

Hi F50,

Here's a link to Tillotson's website . They don't show an HK carb, only an HU for smaller saws. I'm not familiar with the little Tillotsen carbs. The XLs and Super 2s I have are all Walbro equipped. AS RBW pointed out, the issue of smokey XLs has been discussed, so hopefully you can find the info you need to get the saw running.

Dan

OK I called my local Homelite dealer, he has a carb kit for me, he also has the bar mount stud, the adjusting screw, & duckbill. He said the little piece that the duckbill mounts on is NOT available, I hope it's ok. Hopefully this'll fix her up!

REgarding the little piece that the duckbill mounts on, I was just at a saw shop this week for the same thing, and the guy went to his bins and pulled out duckbill, and a little silver stone?, that went between the duckbill and hose. If you want one I'm sure it can be arranged.

wdchuck said:
REgarding the little piece that the duckbill mounts on, I was just at a saw shop this week for the same thing, and the guy went to his bins and pulled out duckbill, and a little silver stone?, that went between the duckbill and hose. If you want one I'm sure it can be arranged.
^^^^Thank you for that info!!^^^^
I did find the original one inside the oil tank, so I'm good. I then reassembled the saw back together and she fired right up. I had set the L screw too rich, but as soon as I got it turned in, she was then "purring" like a kitten-(well, for being a 25 year old saw, the fact that it's idling evenly is the same as "purring", right :)). What a great feeling!!!!:clap: Time to get busy and use her for what she's designed for!:biggrinbounce2:
Now there talking about 3-5 inches (or MORE) of snow tonight. Wow! Just yesterday it was 63 degrees out.:cry: Now I gotta dig out my snowblower, but she should fire right up, put a new carb on her last Oct. :)

Latest posts

Back