limb Walking ?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know if this was mentioned, you can sort of hang on the back side of the limb and using the climbing line and hands and feet, walk up the back side of thge limb.

Slack tender or tress type hitch is a must doing this.

hurts.gif

Tip

You might want to try a redirect like Mr. Mass was talking about. Except put a sling and a beiner on a high branch. That way your climbing line would be at a point further out. Keep your line tight and secure as you advance out on the limb... Using a double wrap with your lanyerd to keep you on top of the branch...
:blob2:

John (JPS) -

You stold my remark!! I was reading through this whole thing thinking, "..nobody mentioned walking up the back side of the limb yet!" and then I got to your post. That's my favorite way, or at least safest feeling way, to get out on those types of limbs. Although, there are times when even that can't be done. Sometimes I'll just try to get the 16' of Jameson out there, but that can be a back breaker, and time consuming - considering all the breaks you have to take.

- Will

That's a good one John.
It's kinda counterintuitive to go to the downhill side of the branch, but you can push against your climbing line and walk right up.

with art work like this how come you dont post in the climbing section anymore kneejerk?

usually in this situation i end up going up the side of the limb using my flipline to stay on the branch. that is unless i cant hand over hand pull myself to the work area. or i will choke the flipline out as far as i can get it and get to that spot and then rechoke further out and up the limb.

I use a double crotch and/or loop runners, or the Koala method. I say this because I had to remove an Aspen tree that some hacks had started then abandoned after running with the money. They had left 30ft stick with a huge diagonally upward limb at the top that reached out across the neighbors house. I had to shimmy up that thing like a Koala it was 30ft long and by the time I was at the end I was about 15ft above my anchor point which was at the top of the stem.

They had told the lady that they were from the local authority. They even had signs on their trucks saying that they were. In reality they were travelers. She was grateful to me because no one else wanted to touch it. I felt sorry for her.

I cross my legs indian style, push my shins into the limb, and brace myself against the side of the limb keeping tension on my buckstrap. I just kind of shimmy up, alternately putting slack in my climbing line, take that in, flip the lanyard up, work up again. Humping up sticks is no fun, so I'll double crotch when I can, even if it means getting that second tie in point earlier on while higher in the tree, so I can get myself worked out and up the limb, or tie into something higher than it.

Seems like this is all too common in old sugar maples, and red and pin oaks that have been skinned out.

I often use my grapple with 30'+ feet of 7mil line and a hand ascencer in conjuction with my rappel line....tie in...rappel til you and find a good spot at the end of the branch to throw your grapple...then with your hand ascender attached to your front D's, you and cinch it up tight...rappell some more... cinch...rappell.... until you get to where you gotta go.... this is how we swing from tree to tree out forestry climbing...

I often use my grapple with 30'+ feet of 7mil line and a hand ascencer in conjuction with my rappel line....tie in...rappel til you and find a good spot at the end of the branch to throw your grapple...then with your hand ascender attached to your front D's, you and cinch it up tight...rappell some more... cinch...rappell.... until you get to where you gotta go.... this is how we swing from tree to tree out forestry climbing...

Those grapples look a little insane! Something I'd like to own, don't know whether I could use it though. Fair play to you dude great to watch them being used.

Any of you cats doing residential even own a grapple? Me neither, but they sure look like fun!

Latest posts

Back