limiting coils

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullittman281

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello,
Got a question for you guys. I have on the way a makita 6401. From everything I've heard those have a rev-limiting coil in them. If that's the case how do you set the carb up. I looked at the owners manual on line and Makita says go no more than 1/4 turn and dolmar says you don't need a tach. But that's all they say:confused::confused::confused:

How do you set the carb up on these things? I know how to set the carb up on a regular 2T and know what the engine feels like when its lean or rich so I' not a nube. I've just never messed with a limiting coil. Do you start way rich and lean it out until you find the limiter or do you lean past the limiter or what? Does the limiter sound any different than 4 stroking? I've seen the references and the videos for tuning in the wood but they don't seem to be all that clear. I don't have a tach and haven't need one yet so any references using a tach aren't going to help. My cuting conditions range from 30* to 90* and from less than 4K up 10K+ in elevation so there is no one size fits all setting. How do you guys set saws with limiters up? Let me know. Thanks.
Bullittman

Yes , start way rich and lean it a little at a time until it cuts the fastest, if you get to lean it will rev good but get boggy when cutting. Those rev limiters will fool you into thinking it's rich but other than that nothing wring with them unless your running a highly modded saw . Steve

Latest posts

Back