line for a speedline.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The trees to start with are cottonwoods growing over a house. I need to have the line stretched out about 150' . The h.o. needs to clean things out of the lz..
It will be primarily limbs that are less than 100 lbs. And thenfirewood blocks that weigh the same or less.
Will have to do a lot of the limbs half at a time to miss the satellite dish.
I'm thinking of getting a 600' spool in case I can hang the top of the sppdline in another tree
that is higher than most of what I need to cut.
Was planning on 1/2" 3 strand straps chocked and clip caribiners on to the speed line.

I would think arbor plex would be to stretchy. I dont do alot of speed line work though. Super braid works well as a speed line. The only problem is its not worth a hoot for anything else.

The only problem with the Husky is its' stretchy nylon core. I used some nylon double braid for a speed line once and it was like a bungy cord. Never tried it, but it seems like the rock climbers' kernmantle ropes would be good with their tough shell and low stretch. Might be a bit pricey though for speed line apps.

OK so. It seems a static line will work well for a speed line but it is subject to breaking if its used for catching and lowering trunk sections.
What about 1/2" Stable Braid. ? Would that work for dual purpose?

Tramp, not sure if you have used it or not but Yale's XTC is a rugged rope. Not a lot of stretch and abrasion resistant, on the whole a little better than Arborplex.
Tree Stuff - Yale XTC Twelve 1/2" Arborist Rope

Jeffers, you did a 600' zipline? You're a #######ed Viking Cowboy.

OK so. It seems a static line will work well for a speed line but it is subject to breaking if its used for catching and lowering trunk sections.
What about 1/2" Stable Braid. ? Would that work for dual purpose?

1/2" Stable Braid is probably the best all around line out there, but then again if you are only taking 100 pounders 5/8" arborplex would work if you can get some of the stretch out. Bear in mind that you don't want to over tension the line because of the load to leg angles if your run is fairly "flat".

The trees to start with are cottonwoods growing over a house. I need to have the line stretched out about 150' . The h.o. needs to clean things out of the lz..
It will be primarily limbs that are less than 100 lbs. And thenfirewood blocks that weigh the same or less.
Will have to do a lot of the limbs half at a time to miss the satellite dish.
I'm thinking of getting a 600' spool in case I can hang the top of the sppdline in another tree
that is higher than most of what I need to cut.
Was planning on 1/2" 3 strand straps chocked and clip caribiners on to the speed line.

No offense tramp, ya know I respect ya, but that doesn't sound like the best tree for your first speedline. Lots more variables there than just rope choice. If you're that close to a dish, and this is your first one, one bad pick with the wrong tension could get expensive. Even at 100 lbs, if it isn't set up or tensioned right, you can get bit. BTW, I always run pulleys on my speedlines, you'd be amazed how even small picks on a beaner can heat up. Just my .02. Be safe, Jeff

I have only used cable for speed lines.

Ouch, sounds like a pita. To me , a speedline is more a technique than one set method. I have done vertical speedlines, just to prevent bounceback, handheld just to clear a fence or make cleanup easier, high tension to clear a roof or other obstacle, even redirect speedlines in special situations. It all comes down to assessing the situation and using your experience to adapt to that tree, just like any other technique.

I run speed lines on most of my removals. here's why... it saves the down time from walking. its easy to do. you can stop the piece anywhere you want. no turf damage. its fancy ;) remember the loads are the tensioning force and the weight of the piece. rule of thumb for me is not to send a piece down that 2 guys cant control with the line. and 1 guy when the zip line is on a limb. we save firewood so I cut it to log size and zip it right into or beside the trailer. til it gets big. I've used all kinds of stuff for the zip line itself. if your just holding the line with a ground guy, any rope will do. theres not enough weight to stretch sag in the line. the angle of your drop determines whether you need a pulley. if its steep, you can send it on oval life rated non locking biners. if its flat, you need a pulley. I keep 1 end of the zip line with me and choke it in place. the ground guy pulls it tight. if its a pine, you can tie one end around the base, run it through a block at the top and out to the ground guys. the plus to this is that once the limb is cut, they can actually raise it. so you can zip the lowest limbs. you'll need to keep a line attached to the zip line to pull it back to you. it'll get stuck at the ends of the limbs if not. i tie off my limbs just a bit tip heavy. so the brush is down. you can take longer pieces over structure this way and if it would contact something, its more of a sweeping impact than a denting one. as far as rigging, i use a 12 strand 1/2". i haven't rigged a tree yet that I've had to take big weights. my ground guys are good at letting pieces run. but things happen and i never rig anything that scares me while i am in that tree. it takes me about 5 minutes to relocate and get a piece down. i'll work later and make less money before i kill myself rigging risky loads.

No offense tramp, ya know I respect ya, but that doesn't sound like the best tree for your first speedline. Lots more variables there than just rope choice. If you're that close to a dish, and this is your first one, one bad pick with the wrong tension could get expensive. Even at 100 lbs, if it isn't set up or tensioned right, you can get bit. BTW, I always run pulleys on my speedlines, you'd be amazed how even small picks on a beaner can heat up. Just my .02. Be safe, Jeff

. Ya, I'm thinking about over bidding it. If I had the room I would hang behind and above the trees. I would use a tight line . Problem is. I don't have a good groundman .
I guess there is a time when I gotta known when to say when.

. Ya, I'm thinking about over bidding it. If I had the room I would hang behind and above the trees. I would use a tight line . Problem is. I don't have a good groundman .
I guess there is a time when I gotta known when to say when.

Climber's only as good as his groundman, and you can double or triple that statement when it comes to speedlining. Thay have to have their act together, or they will wear you out, or something will get squished.

Ya. Where I live there isn't much call for an arborist and we have a pretty short work season. I can't justify a workers comp policy ect.ect. so horsing a groundman is not really an option . If I knew of someone around here that was truly interested in the work I would think about it.

Back