Listing Palm falling over

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stargazer882

Reaction score
Hi. I bought this property a year ago and it had this palm that had a slight lean in it to reach sunlight. Now it's really listing over, and it's not due the light. This palm is about 10-12 feet high and at least more than 7 years old. How do I save it? Thanks!

Attachments

• 2016-05-13 10.54.18.jpg
    2016-05-13 10.54.18.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 21
Here is a full shot of the tree. Can you speculate what could have caused this? Poor water or lack of fertilizer?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 18
I'm not sure what you thought the tree was going to do, in that spot. Politely grow parallel to the wall of the house, for you, avoiding any canopy growth until it was past the roof line? What did you plan to do when it became obvious that it was going to get 75 feet tall? Can you imagine the weight of the thing, and the leverage forces it would place on that wall when the wind blows? How about a nice yucca plant, or a small shrub or something? Call me crazy, but that looks like a place better suited to growing tomatoes than palm trees.

I'm not sure what you thought the tree was going to do, in that spot. Politely grow parallel to the wall of the house, for you, avoiding any canopy growth until it was past the roof line? What did you plan to do when it became obvious that it was going to get 75 feet tall? Can you imagine the weight of the thing, and the leverage forces it would place on that wall when the wind blows? How about a nice yucca plant, or a small shrub or something? Call me crazy, but that looks like a place better suited to growing tomatoes than palm trees.

I really don't know what the thinking of the previous owner was. I only took over a year ago. I notice this tree has been there for like 8 years in old photos of the house.

Hey Stargazer,
Have you thought about selling it,,,you live here and see all the new landscape installation going on all over. I think you should find out much you could sell it for, then plant something like trachycarpus fortuneii,,
Jeff :cool:

Dang Jeff,, read the post before you reply,,
the palm was there when he bought the house,,
Jeff :heart:

Hey Stargazer,
Have you thought about selling it,,,you live here and see all the new landscape installation going on all over. I think you should find out much you could sell it for, then plant something like trachycarpus fortuneii,,
Jeff :cool:

Thanks, that's an idea. This tree probably can stay where it is. I just don't know what changed this past year that made it come down like this.

Thanks, that's an idea. This tree probably can stay where it is. I just don't know what changed this past year that made it come down like this.

Lot of some El Nino rain early this year an poor installation and location,,wind storm we had a couple of months ago,(I live in Vista), I have seen it all.
but really, see what you can get for it, if you wait too long it will cost you more to have it removed,,sorry
Jeff

Latest posts

Back