"Little" addition to the fleet

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have a scale but by factory specs the Echo is about a half pound heavier than the Stihl. The Only place I notice it is in the balance of the saw, it is a touch nose heavy compared to the Stihl.

The Echo comes with 3/8 lp compared to the 1/4" on the Stihl. It's not quite as smooth as the 1/4 but does cut faster. Although a 3/8" setup can be had for the Stihl, they aren't available from dealers here in the US. Also I've had issues with my MS150 clogging up with chips to the point it stops the chain and I think the bigger chips may only compound this problem. I believe this is do to the location of the spur and shrouding. I'll post pics.

The Echo also holds a little more gas and bar oil. Not sure if its that bit of extra capacity but it seems to run for ever on a tank of fuel. And cold starts have been 2 pulls so far. My Stihl, usually 4/5.

The little Echo seemed a little anemic at first but by the forth or fifth tank it's really starting to come around. Both these saws, for being only mid 20cc, are rather impressive. No they aren't and never will be a MS200t but still impressive just the same. And for in tree work, especially when climbing, I personally won't go back to a full size top handle.

My MS150 has always had a glitch in the carb/tune. Just can't quite find that sweet spot. The Echo on the other hand is spot on so far.

Waiting for some comparison videos. But sure like what I see sofar! Congratulation!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Here's a few pics trying to show how the clutch on the Stihl is partially shrouded compared to the Echo. On my Stihl, i get a lot of chips coming back through and over the top of the chain. And as I said earlier it clogs up to the point it stops the chain, especially in soft wood.

I put a total of between five and six hours on the Echo yesterday. Six Weeping Willow trees, two removed, four trimmed.
I've had the Stihl for almost a year now with countless hours on it.
My impression so far is the Echo is a definite contender.
I believe if they were setup with the same b/c the Echo may have a slight power advantage.
The Stihl, being better balanced, has an edge on handling.
The Echo has yet to jamb with chips.
The Echo hasn't had any tune issues.

Nice! I swear everyday gets harder not to go full echo.:D especially after the haul i made today with the truck load of huskys and stihls.:laugh:

That is a cute little saw. Once I was out in the woods with my 394 and 137. It was so cold the bar oil that was leaking all over from the 394 (always leaks!), had solidified and kept the recoil and saw locked up. So I took my little 137 and held it in front of the warm-air exhaust duct while the 570cc motor in my Arctic Cat defrosted it. Fired it up after a few minutes and used it to get some wood. Took much longer, but I was still able to get out of the woods with a load.
Never discount a small saw. Sometimes they can punch well above their weight.

The Echo's forward (left, in this case?) handle has a pronounced sweep to the back. Looks very cool. Does that feel natural or awkward? I know, its a top handle. One handed stuff. I get that. But its still used.

Nice! I swear everyday gets harder not to go full echo.:D especially after the haul i made today with the truck load of huskys and stihls.:laugh:

I've owned them all and had issues with them all.
I own mostly Dolmar but that's mostly due to my dealer.

The Echo's forward (left, in this case?) handle has a pronounced sweep to the back. Looks very cool. Does that feel natural or awkward? I know, its a top handle. One handed stuff. I get that. But its still used.

The handle is very reminiscent to that of a Stihl 192. Ran one of those for a couple years too. That part of the handle gets used so little that I really don't care either way.

I've owned them all and had issues with them all.
I own mostly Dolmar but that's mostly due to my dealer.
The ones i picked up today were all home owner/semi pro.typical problems with those models.only thing i got that ran was an old husky hand held blower.the cylinder is so loose its jumping up and down on the crankcase but its still going. Dont know how?

Latest posts

Back