Little Homelite Bandit running problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dswensen

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Topic is a little Homelite Bandit. I believe the starter cover says "XL-30. Cute little little 12" bar-ed red plastic thing. Great for one-handed trimming.

Put it away about two years ago (properly drained), at the time, it was running well. Got it out yesterday to do some trimming. Couldn't get it started - no gas to the cylinder - wasn't too suprised. Dissected and checked carb - all looked fine. Put it back together, FINALLY got it started. Won't idle at all. Adjusting the "L" screw, it either runs at about half WOT RPMs (at 2 turns out), or dies at anything more or less than 2 turns out.

Queston: Could a metering level in the carb that is set slightly too high do this?

2 turns out on low and still no idle makes it appear that it's starving for fuel flow or has a loose/cracked manifold, was the carb gasket covering the tiny impulse hole coming from the crankcase? Run a pipe cleaner down it to check for an obstructon.

Have you checked the fuel filter & spark arrestor screen in the muffler for clogging or restrictions? Has the rubber gas tank duckbill valve turned to mush & blocked off the tank vent hole?

Is the carb a Zama or Walbro?, and is it a fixed high speed jet, meaning only one low speed mixture screw?

Everyone talks smack on those little Homelite saws, but if set up right are the best limbers for small stuff.

2 turns out on low and still no idle makes it appear that it's starving for fuel flow or has a loose/cracked manifold, was the carb gasket covering the tiny impulse hole coming from the crankcase? Run a pipe cleaner down it to check for an obstructon.

Have you checked the fuel filter & spark arrestor screen in the muffler for clogging or restrictions? Has the rubber gas tank duckbill valve turned to mush & blocked off the tank vent hole?

Is the carb a Zama or Walbro?, and is it a fixed high speed jet, meaning only one low speed mixture screw?

Everyone talks smack on those little Homelite saws, but if set up right are the best limbers for small stuff.

Will check the impulse route, but as it wanted to pump oil while I was trying to start it (oil tank pressurizes from impulse), Ithink it likely fine. Not a tank vent problem. It's a Walbro carb with H and L adjusting screws. No restrictions in the exhaust system.

Back to original question; will a metering lever set slightly too high give the original reported conditions?

No the lever being adjusted slightly high won't cause your problem, as it is starving for fuel. Sounds like you need to pull the carb again & clean out the idle circuit's three tiny holes, then kit it (kit will come with a new welch plug).

You have the best carburetor, probably an HDC series.

No the lever being adjusted slightly high won't cause your problem, as it is starving for fuel. Sounds like you need to pull the carb again & clean out the idle circuit's three tiny holes, then kit it (kit will come with a new welch plug).

You have the best carburetor, probably an HDC series.

The kit was new when I put it up a few years ago. It's an HDA actually. But I think you're right - time to take it apart again and give it a good ultrasonic soak.

Right track

HDA?, Learn something new every day, I thought the LX30 used the weed eater type WTA series.

You're on the right track. If the crank seals are good, all the little Homeys I've seen with no idle had crap in the idle circuits, a stiff fuel pump diaphragm, or had an air leak in the manifold.

My Bad .. actually thought I knew what I was talking about

HDA?, Learn something new every day, I thought the LX30 used the weed eater type WTA series.

You're on the right track. If the crank seals are good, all the little Homeys I've seen with no idle had crap in the idle circuits, a stiff fuel pump diaphragm, or had an air leak in the manifold.

You are correct sir .... it's a WTA. Too many projects on the bench at once. Going to tear it down again this weekend. As it was running fine when I put it up, I'm confident I can get it to do so again. Thanks for the help all ... well most anyway.

Fixed!

When I put the carb back on, I got the gasket between carb and cylinder tweaked. Those little saws are hard to work on - difficult to see what's going on.

Saw was definately running lean. Glad I didn't try to use it that way. No damage that I can see. I got lucky. Runs great now.

Back