Live Oak, Driveway Damage, Biobarrier Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have 30 acres of oak trees with a campground throughout. The cutting of roots has been devastating to the oaks. The sewer,water and electric trenches took a huge toll and still is.

My tree service is mostly supplied with damaged root systems from foundations, landscaping, trenching or sidewalks and drives. No science involved just 17 yrs. of observation. A campground with dying oaks along trenches.

I would not cut roots. Unless you need a way to get permission to remove tree.

Pics help.

Sent from my iPhone using my nose

I don't think we'll ever hear back from this person or get pics so it really doesn't matter but being a Live Oak she's probably down south , maybe Fla? Seems like the more tropical species can handle way more abuse than northern trees?

Good way to lose a job, dissing them like that. Maybe just saying it to yourself would be better. :)

And, fear of roots tends to dissolve when one looks at the roots. :chop:

I'm not trying to get any work from here and I don't travel, just sayin'.

I'm not trying to get any work from here and I don't travel, just sayin'.

Understood; the response was to 2 posts back.

We've all witnessed failures from trenching. that does not mean that all root pruning is bad.

Hello -- I didn't forget about my post. :) Life's busy. As for the pics, I'll see if I can post them over the weekend.

I am really torn about what decision to make. I have met with several arborists. It's coming down to either removing the tree, if the county will provide the permit, or air spading at a depth of 18" by digging a trench 6" away from the driveway, and taking a chance on the tree's health and stability in the years to come. Since the tree fronts a sidewalk, road, house and driveway, I do worry about possible future issues due to ANY root pruning.

The most recent arborist said it's an A+ tree, strong, and capable of handling the root pruning via air spading. Of course, there's no way of knowing the roots won't grow back in a few years, and that other roots which are not currently causing a problem won't also be an issue later on. He's not blatantly opposed to the idea of removing the tree, but he knows the county arborist will want to know if all other measures have been seriously considered before approving an A+ tree removal due to concrete damage. Offering to replace it would be a positive. I sense that he might would feel as if he's in a somewhat awkward situation; meaning, how do you help the homeowner get the tree removed when you'd personally prefer that it stay, etc.

If there was some way of leaving the tree alone, and not having my driveway completely destroyed (not now) in the years to come, let alone the sidewalk. While a stronger driveway is a possibility, I don't see how we could raise the grade because it crosses the path of the sidewalk, thus creating a trip hazard.

Thanks everyone for chiming in.

Glad to hear you got another opinion. Looking fwd to the pics; many ways to ramp after grade change.

Waaaay more minor than I thought. I was imagining 3"+ lifting.

My rec, grind and patch, leave the tree alone.

Sorry to disappoint. ;) I have come to the conclusion to leave the tree, except for minimal pruning, since it's over the roof in certain areas. I am not comfortable with root pruning to ANY degree, especially trunk roots, given the short distance involved, and there doesn't seem to be anything else that can be safely done. I met with at least five arborists. I just know that while not a 3" lift today, the odds are it will likely become that and more. Sigh.

Sorry to disappoint. ;) I have come to the conclusion to leave the tree, except for minimal pruning, since it's over the roof in certain areas. I am not comfortable with root pruning to ANY degree, especially trunk roots, given the short distance involved, and there doesn't seem to be anything else that can be safely done. I met with at least five arborists. I just know that while not a 3" lift today, the odds are it will likely become that and more. Sigh.

You're definitely making the right decision. You have a mature tree, explosive growth is not in your future. Grind the cracks when they become a nuisance, patch them every so often, and enjoy the splendor of your tree without worrying about root injury.

Thanks for sharing with us!

You're welcome. Thanks for helping. :) So just how big will this tree get, if it's mature? The tree grew an inch during the past nine months!

You're welcome. Thanks for helping. :) So just how big will this tree get, if it's mature? The tree grew an inch during the past nine months!

I guess we should figure out the specific species first....if we are talking about Quercus virginiana then there is the potential for a considerable amount of growth. I personally deal with other species of "Live Oak", (Quercus wislizenii and Quercus agrifolia), that don't grow nearly as large. Forgive me for speaking regionally, sometimes I forget not everyone lives in California.

It's a Virginiana, so it's safe to say it's well on its way then to grand oak status, which is nice in some ways. But we all know what that likely means -- busted up driveway sooner or later. Sigh.

Back