load of wood I got today, pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodcutter69

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
here is a load I got l today, but what kind is it. lot more of it, where it come from. the friend I got it from thought it was hemlock, been cut down for about 1 month.

Good Load!

Looks like it might be burr oak. there is a lot of that in sw iowa. pretty good wood 26 million BTU/cord

Aaah not hemlock!..Lookin like hard maple to me, but I've been know to burn anything no matter what it is. :D

Last edited:
here is few more pics.

I got a beer that says its burr oak.

Ive cut about six cords of that with my dad in eastern nebraska this summer.:cheers:

Great firewood, just let it season, like any oak. I brought a load back once and burnt it before it was ready. it made a mess of my stovepipe.

i live in fla to and 33 years it the tree biz and 4 years of school helps tom trees:jawdrop:

Im sure it does, You're usually right, i do pay attention.

not this time though:cheers:

The first picture in his second post makes me positive.

Last edited:
My first thought was oak, probably a white oak relative, and then looked at the wood more closely and thought locust. If it was more yellowish-green, I'd say locust, but it looks more brown, so it's probably oak. One good whiff of it (is this a scratch-n-sniff forum?) and I'd be able to tell ya. Most wood species have a very distinct smell and fresh sawn locust does NOT smell like fresh sawn white oak.

Either way - worth the effort. The guy who thought it was hemlock needs a bit more learnin'. :dizzy:

My first thought was oak, probably a white oak relative, and then looked at the wood more closely and thought locust. If it was more yellowish-green, I'd say locust, but it looks more brown, so it's probably oak. One good whiff of it (is this a scratch-n-sniff forum?) and I'd be able to tell ya. Most wood species have a very distinct smell and fresh sawn locust does NOT smell like fresh sawn white oak.

Either way - worth the effort. The guy who thought it was hemlock needs a bit more learnin'. :dizzy:

yes, either way, its some serious wood.

burr oak:cheers: i petitioned to the NE State Legislature to have the state tree changed from the cottonwood to the burr oak. I was unsuccessful...but im not done yet.:dizzy:

Oak ?

Oak, at least it looks like the oak we have here in Missouri... The bark looks kind of different though.... Hmmmmmmm

The piece under the body of the saw makes me lean toward Black Locust...Have a fence row that I have been cleaning up for a guy for years that is nothing but black locust...He was going to have if pushed in a pile and burnt til I told him I would keep it neat for FREE...Boy did he get a good deal..LOL

Last edited:
Oak, at least it looks like the oak we have here in Missouri... The bark looks kind of different though.... Hmmmmmmm

you probably have some burr oak down there.

How far east does burr oak grow?

Easterners and NEasterners are calling locust, people a little closer to sw iowa are saying oak...to this point anyway.

Back