load of wood I got today, pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never cut a black locust but EVERY honey locust that I have cut is red in the middle. Bark doesn't resemble Ohio locusts that I have looked at.

Last edited:
its black locust i have a huge one in my yard, hate pruning the suckers, dame thorns r 3" long in some spots

when you first cut locust its a odd greenish color and in a week or so it
turns dark brown oak will be brown inside when you cut it.The bark on
the locust is thicker than oak .And any thorns would make it a locust.
and a tree service buddy told me some locust have thorn and some dont
no matter what species .:dizzy:

the more I think about it, the honey locust is what has thorns on it. The black locust doesnt have thorns on it right. And this stuff is sprouting out of the ground like a weed, that is what the land owner is telling me, and I can see that. maybe it is black locust.

I thought that it was black locust when I first saw it but it's sometimes hard to tell from pictures. The honey locusts that I have saw have the big thorns on the bark but some of them don't have very many.

The black locust has thorns more like spurs on the small branches. Black locust will sprout out from the ground after you cut it. If you let it go very long it will look like a bush. I dropped one last year in a field and it didn't take too long before a bunch of little locust trees were sprouting all over the place.

I'd say that you have black locust. Good wood. :cheers:

I've got those damn things in my back yard and hate them.....make a constant mess through out the year with limbs, bark, flowers, pollen and little bitty leaves constantly falling.

And brittle as heck. I can break a branch easy. I was not impressed with how it burned either......I had a bunch of branches that broke in an ice storm last year I had pushed into a ditch. When I got my wood stove I went into the ditch to cut some up. Seemed to burn quickly compared to hickory, not heat as well and left alot of ash. Makes a mess to have around too with the crap that comes off the bark.

I know its supposed to be great firewood but so far I'm not impressed. I'd cut those dang things down if they weren't the only shade I have from the western sun.:cry:

when you first cut locust its a odd greenish color and in a week or so it
turns dark brown oak will be brown inside when you cut it.The bark on
the locust is thicker than oak .And any thorns would make it a locust.
and a tree service buddy told me some locust have thorn and some dont
no matter what species .:dizzy:

burr oak has thick bark like this(in my defense)

But I have conceded. It is black locust.

I say it is not burr oak. The bark is not thick enough! Burr oak has a very thick bark. It can be found in the prairie states due to the fact that the thick bark allowed it to weather wild fires.

Looking at the size of the wood he has split, burr oak would have bark that was at least an inch thicker than shown.

I am not an expert on black locust. It is rumored that there may be 1-2 trees left in dad's timber that were planted by the soil conservationists. Most of them have been cut for firewood (go figure). I am very familiar with honeylocust and it is definitely not that.

Good score. Like all of the rest of the good hardwoods in our area let them season well before burning.

Don

So is is Page, Mills or Cass Co?

Latest posts

Back