Loaning Tools

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I borrowed a round nose shovel from a buddy of my Dad's. I already knew you was supposed to return stuff better than you borrowed it. And this here was the old school dude with the hose it off dry it with an oily rag and hang it without touching the wall or something else. So the only way at 15 I could think of to give him back his shovel was to sand it all down and paint the whole thang bright blue with about four clear coats sanded down to 1000 grit and buffed. I could literally see the guys blood pressure skyrocket when I returned the completely refurbished shovel.

Guess what, then I was asked to sand it some more.

A chainsaw is not a good tool to loan out. To easy for something to go wrong. Either with safety or with a mechanical issue.

As far as general tools go, heck, that's what good friends are for. I have quite an abundance of tools, although honestly, hardly anyone ever asks to borrow them. Most people already own simple tools, but they don't know to use the more expensive ones anyway. My problem is my 24 year old boy and his friend, not putting tools back where they belong. Especially when he leaves them in his car and is never around when I need them.

This may be a response for another thread, but my other issue is people wanting me, as a mechanic, to fix stuff for them. I have one friend with an excavating business that I help out once in awhile. In turn, he plows my driveway in winter, and borrows me whatever equipment I may need. Sometime including excavator or dozer work. I sometimes help the local fire department also. Other than that the answer is almost always, sorry, but no. Where does it end. I barely have the time to keep my own stuff in good repair, and if I help out one person, how can I say no to the next? Besides, once you fix a particular piece of equipment, you sort of inherit it as far as hearing about everything that goes wrong with it for years to come, if not outright getting blamed for the problem because you're the last guy to touch it. Who needs the headache?

I was taught to never lend anything you can't afford to lose.

Generally I have duplicates on most tools so i don't have a problem with loaning them. if I feel what someone is trying to do is unsafe or what they are attempting is over their head, I will generally volunteer to help them.

Once they leave your property with a "tool", I doubt if all the safety features it came with are still in place, you could be held liable for letting them borrow it. However if you were to rent it to them, - nope, not happening!

Well, yes & no, mostly no. I have lent tools to my son, hasn't broken anything yet. I got a beater chainsaw with a bunch of chains that probably only got a little life left on them, in case the neighbor or BIL come a-knocking. The other 3 saws are off limits. Over the years a couple of friends have wanted to borrow the splitter. That's a big no-go. I heat with wood, and cut-split-stack for my winter comfort. The last thing I want is excess mileage on it, and nobody ever seems to be around when its time to buy fluid, filter, etc.
its really comes down to that being an integral peice of your home heating system,
WOULD THEY ASK TO BORROW YOUR FURNACE

I used to say no way, then if they would make me a steak I would drop by and do the minor repair and everyone is happy.
If it is something they can bring to me I just say drop by when the doors up and we will see if I can fix it quick.
If they do, when I go on vacation etc guess who has to get the mail or watch my kids if I get in a pinch.

Sometimes I let someone borrow things lately that are getting old and need replaced anyway so not much of a loss if I don't get it back or it breaks.
We had a major storm a few years ago And I lent out 3 generators all came back and some had been to a few houses along the way. We just kept them running and I talked to whoever had them so they knew how to check oil etc.
Maybe I'm getting soft. But after a week without power some people were pretty desperate.
Chad

Most of my friends that I've known for a long time rarely ask me for any tools. They do hit me up for my time though. There are plenty of instances where I can think of someone needed help re-roofing their house, dropping trees that are growing too close to the house that they can't tackle on their own, help with automobiles, help feeding hydraulic splitters, watching the house while they're away on vacation, etc... The only time I can remember loaning out my saw was to my neighbor when his husky 445 was acting up. He's good with a saw, so I wasn't worried. And before anyone points out to me "well why'd he borrow your saw if he's that good with using his and it broke down?" That was because the oiler pump was shot......a part I believe husqvarna updated later on if I remember correctly.

Nope. Tools are easily bought at the store and if you own it you'll more than likely take care of it.
A few close friends may borrow a special tool once in a blue moon, but the fishing lure rules apply....You lose it, you but a replacement.

Rule in the shop is, "If you have to borrow it three times, you need your own." It's not working too well with the new guy, though. So he's getting multiple lessons on taking care of my tools since my box seems to have become the community box. The tradeoff for not having the $$ imo is spending the time to take care of what's borrowed.

Some of my more specialized mechanics tools, the ones that I don't use for making $$, have been loaned to friends. Stuff for rebuilding engines is a good example. If it gets broken or doesn't come back right away I probably won't be put in a bind. I used to have a board to keep track of what was out and it generally worked fairly well. I've loaned my car trailer more times than I can count and the one time it was damaged, the borrower insisted on buying new parts to replace what broke even though I wasn't worried abut it. He did the right thing for sure. I even loaned out the Suburban with the trailer earlier this summer because a friend of a friend was in trouble and needed to pick up a vehicle. I have to admit I'm more likely to loan tools to someone "just starting out" like a young homeowner in the neighborhood. I was there myself once and I've received plenty of help so I do pass it along. But the saw? I'm likely to show up and do the work if it's someone who really needs something cut. t'll be a rare day when I loan the saw.

I was taught to never lend anything you can't afford to lose.
Yep. But I'm amazed at how many people seem to think that means you shouldn't get upset if they don't return an item in good or better condition than it was borrowed.

This may be a response for another thread, but my other issue is people wanting me, as a mechanic, to fix stuff for them.
Yeah... I've got some stories about that, too. Why is it that people believe a professional is obligated to answer questions and provide advice and even work for free, especially when they're not "on the clock?" But what I did with family years ago has worked well. Whenever I was asked to do a job for family, I'd tell them "I'm either doing it for free, or you're getting charged full price. Free jobs mean I get to decide what gets done, how it gets done, when it gets done. If you don't like it then we go to full price. That way, when I'm trying to enjoy Christmas, or Thanksgiving, or any other time off and I have to listen to your car issue, I've already been paid for some of the aggravation." I rarely get asked to fix family members' cars anymore.

I borrowed a round nose shovel from a buddy of my Dad's. I already knew you was supposed to return stuff better than you borrowed it. And this here was the old school dude with the hose it off dry it with an oily rag and hang it without touching the wall or something else. So the only way at 15 I could think of to give him back his shovel was to sand it all down and paint the whole thang bright blue with about four clear coats sanded down to 1000 grit and buffed. I could literally see the guys blood pressure skyrocket when I returned the completely refurbished shovel.

Guess what, then I was asked to sand it some more.

That's funny. I borrowed another mechanic's grease gun after hours once and a brace on the handle collapsed during use. I hammered it straight but I knew it wouldn't last long. So I bought a new one off the Snap-On truck. Holy mackerel... $100!!! But that's the price you pay when you break a borrowed tool. So I presented him with the grease gun, and apologized for breaking the old one. Two days later he came over with the old one and said "Here. You might as well take it. That brace has been bending like that for years." Bastahd kept the new gun!

I've got one friend that I trust 100% to bring back whatever he borrowed, and I know it will be in at least as good condition as when he took it.

As for everyone else, I'm learning to say no. Too many cheap tools ($15 or less) have never found their way home or I've had to ask repeatedly for more expensive ones. Even my brother and parents are bad: I forget they borrowed something, and then they forget that they have it until years later I see something in their barn and think "hey, I used to have a hand saw exactly like that!". I give my immediate family a pass though, I know I left a full scrap load worth of tools in the yard or out in the fields as a kid. And my brother is that one person who I can call any time of the day and say "I need to move something that weights 500 lbs" and he'll be there in 20 minutes.

There are a couple friend and family members I'll loan tools to. I won't loan my chainsaw though. I'll go and cut up what they need but I won't loan it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is more important - your tools or your friends?

Still, there is a balance here. Some friends are more trustworthy than others. I'm happy to loan out tools to some friends, and certain other tools to other people, but the more expensive the tool, the closer the friend has to be, and more responsible as well. I even loaned out my brand new Super Split to a buddy - that was a tough thing to do, but those things are well built, so I'm not too worried. (Need to get it back soon, though).

I usually don't loan out any tools to anyone. If my mom needs a tool, I'll typically just bring the tool, then do the job required. If my older brother needs a tool, I tell him to keep looking through his junk until he finds the one he already owns. (More cases than not, this works with him.)

I'm with others on the chainsaws. I don't loan them out. That also goes with lawn mowers, and other powered equipment.

That also goes with lawn mowers, and other powered equipment.

Lawnmower loan story: For about a year and a half, I mowed the lawn for my next-door neighbor, a recent widow who had enough to deal with. Eventually her house went into short sale and she moved. When she was getting ready to move out, she had some workers out there helping her clean the place up, and she asked if they could borrow my mower. I was reluctant but allowed it.

About 20 minutes later, inside my house, with the windows closed, I heard "CHONK!!" from outside. I had my suspicions about that, but when they came back with the mower nobody said anything. So I took a walk over to her front yard, and saw exactly what I expected: a big new scar in the town's iron water shutoff valve. Her yard had sunk around it, leaving it sticking up about five inches. Why anyone would mow over it boggles me. I went up and asked her about it. "Did your guys hit the water shutoff with the lawnmower?" "Oh. Yeah."

Fortunately no damage to the engine, but as you can imagine, the blade had a giant chunk taken out of it. All that gratis lawn care, and that's what I get in the end.

Lawnmower loan story: For about a year and a half, I mowed the lawn for my next-door neighbor, a recent widow who had enough to deal with. Eventually her house went into short sale and she moved. When she was getting ready to move out, she had some workers out there helping her clean the place up, and she asked if they could borrow my mower. I was reluctant but allowed it.

About 20 minutes later, inside my house, with the windows closed, I heard "CHONK!!" from outside. I had my suspicions about that, but when they came back with the mower nobody said anything. So I took a walk over to her front yard, and saw exactly what I expected: a big new scar in the town's iron water shutoff valve. Her yard had sunk around it, leaving it sticking up about five inches. Why anyone would mow over it boggles me. I went up and asked her about it. "Did your guys hit the water shutoff with the lawnmower?" "Oh. Yeah."

Fortunately no damage to the engine, but as you can imagine, the blade had a giant chunk taken out of it. All that gratis lawn care, and that's what I get in the end.
I can hear that sound in my head.

I used to mow lawns as a kid and the rental house in between two of my lawns was always closer to a hayfield than a lawn so I started mowing it also. Hit a bunch of bricks the first time and shot sparks all over the place. My mower at the time was a brand new Snapper, which in the early 90's cost over $500 so I tried to take care of it. Luckily no damage to the mower also. After the owner saw me mowing the lawn a few times, he offered to pay me. And for $3 a week I happily did it. At one point I had 5 lots in a row so I would start at one end and keep going until I got to the other and then turned around to do it again.

My neighbor has an open door policy when it comes to his tools and equipment. I have been given permission to use what I need when I need without asking (if no one is home). There are a few "rules" I tend to abide by when I borrow.

1. Dont hord the tools. Certainly I dont want him coming to me asking for his tools. If my project is going to take me more than a few days to complete then I will return the tool(s) and go back when I actually need it.
2. Any damage to the tool warrants replacment, period.
3. Clean the tools before returning them and put them where they belong, even if I found it where it did not belong.
4. Randomly give back as a "thank you". Go help him with a few hours of firewood or some sort of labor etc...

Generally I like to stick to borrowing tools like wrenches (>1") and specialty tools that I'm only going to use 'once-in-a-lifetime'. In the off-chance I need to borrow a motorized piece of equipment I will do maintenance to it if practical. Change the oil/filter, replace an air filter etc. If everyone had the same standards then it wouldnt be a problem but more often than not people use and abuse.

I make my living with my hard-earned and expensive tools. I go where they go.
For good friends and family, pizza and beer. All others pay cash.

I only borrow tools that I won't fret over if they come back damaged or never come back - generally anything with a engine isn't going out with out me.

I have a neighbor that borrowed a 3/8" ratchet, extension and spark plug socket - a tool that I use several times a week. A week later I had to go search it down. Several other tools were borrowed, some of which finally came back over a year later after I had to ask for them back.

I soon realized that the tools that he does have are actually other people's that he borrowed and never returned- need less to say were not really on good terms at this point so the borrowing isn't a problem anymore!

The first question: Is the borrower part of my crew? If the answer is yes, they are free to take it. Naturally it's hard to move a 20 ton piece if heavy equipment, but if they need a trimmer or a chainsaw or hand tool they're free to use it as long as it's returned next day. Anyone else is a no.

Back