Loaning Tools

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a tool and die maker we make our living by our tools and some of the small hand tools are in the thousands . If you have an oddball project that requires a low cost tool and you don't have one yourself it's okay to ask a co worker to borrow ( if you need to borrow it three times you NEED to buy it or make one) if it's an expensive tool say over 500 in value ..you don't generally ever ask because that would be considered rude and inconsiderate to ask .

I'll admit to being pretty generous when it comes to loaning out tools. My employees and friends are pretty much welcome to use about anything I have but one thing that tell them all. "USE IT AND GET IT BACK HERE!" I hate having to track down a tool when I need it.
Like many here as far as my saws go. Nope....

My saws will not ever be lended out
I tell people

" this tool is how I heat my house for my family it is too precious to me to lend " and that generally scares them off

That story blows! Family that screws family are the worst.

I have a very dysfunctional family...but not all of them is like that. My brother would let me borrow anything, and he is welcome to anything I have as well. He is very particular with his stuff so I know he will take great care of it.

Thanks

Reminds me of a story my neighbor Allen once told me:

When his son was about 18 or 20, Allen was forever hunting for this tool and that. Then his son would say, "Oh yeah, I think I left it in my pickup" (or behind the shed, or wherever).

One day Allen came home "a little liquored up" and saw some of his son's tools in the yard where he'd been using them. Allen said, "I took and flung them things--around the yard, into the woods, every which way."

Son came home, asked where his tools were, and the boy had to hunt for his stuff. Allen sitting on the porch sipping a cold one, said, "Kinda pisses you off, don't it."

Allen said he never had trouble finding his tools after that.

No. The chance of abuse and misuse is to great, not to mention loss. I am happy to lend a hand though. I come with the right tools--even basic tasks can take two shovels and a couple different rakes. And I should be shot for all the tools I have lost or left out for a winter or two. But I have changed my ways.

The saw I would NEVER loan. Invest in your own equipment and then you can use it too. Axes, maybe. But not my good ones.

My BIL is another story. He is a Firefighter/Paramedic. I wouldn't loan my pet rock to him. He is the biggest ******* airhead I think I've ever met. With that said if I ever needed medical attention he would be the guy I would want in the ambulance. He is a phenominal Paramedic.

It sounds like the moral of the story is "trust a dipshi* airhead with your life, but not with your pet rock!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back