Loaning your saws out

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain CaveMan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
so I just got a call from my brother in law, he wanted to borrow my saw tomorrow to go cut wood.
The problem is I just sold my loaner saw, so the only saws I have are my Husqvarna and my three carving chainsaws.
I feel so bad telling him no, my wife agrees the last time i loaned out my loaner craftsman to him he bent the bar literally twisted it and fragged the chain, I'm lucky he didn't mess up the crankshaft with so much force to rotate the bar.
I just sold the craftsman and have since bought two more chainsaws (lol) cad. I have a 5020 coming in craftsman flavor, and today on ebay bought a homelite, nothing special but i bought it as a project saw to resell. I would totally loan that one to him, but alas no saws here yet.
So my question is how do you all deal with it, when others know you have good chainsaws, am I a jerk. I maintain my equipment religiously it runs good so I'm not to keen on someone else abusing it, that craftsman years ago is still in my mind. I dont know just wondered your thoughts on the such.

so I just got a call from my brother in law, he wanted to borrow my saw tomorrow to go cut wood.
The problem is I just sold my loaner saw, so the only saws I have are my Husqvarna and my three carving chainsaws.
I feel so bad telling him no, my wife agrees the last time i loaned out my loaner craftsman to him he bent the bar literally twisted it and fragged the chain, I'm lucky he didn't mess up the crankshaft with so much force to rotate the bar.
I just sold the craftsman and have since bought two more chainsaws (lol) cad. I have a 5020 coming in craftsman flavor, and today on ebay bought a homelite, nothing special but i bought it as a project saw to resell. I would totally loan that one to him, but alas no saws here yet.
So my question is how do you all deal with it, when others know you have good chainsaws, am I a jerk. I maintain my equipment religiously it runs good so I'm not to keen on someone else abusing it, that craftsman years ago is still in my mind. I dont know just wondered your thoughts on the such.

Tell him you loaned it out to a friend and just got it back with a bent bar - so it's out of commission :)

-Greg

You are not wrong for not wanting to loan out your saws...I am in the same boat as you.. loaned out one of my saws only to have it come back shall we say "tweaked". Vowed never to loan a saw out again. Caved in to pressure from a friend and loaned out a second time only to get same results in the end. Now I simply offer to help out by running the saw for them rather than loaning out my saws..will work for beer and keep my saws in one piece.

Honesty is the best policy, how 'bout:

Remember that craftsman I loaned you? - I just sold it & won't have a loaner for a couple of weeks.

Or like Guido Salvage said, Kiss it goodbye until you get it back in same condition as it left.

Saying "no" gets easier with time, doesn't mean you're a jerk.

luck,greg

if they borrow it, they should be prepared to buy you a new one. Had a guy borrow a different kind of saw, it got stolen, he bought me a new one....mine was 10yrs old. Sucked to be him!

No more loaning out saws..!! - To many bad returns - -If it's a little job...I'll come do it for free or for cheap.

Tell him to either buy one of his own - or go to Home Depot or a rental equipment place and rent one..!!

AND... Relatives...are worse than strangers..!!!
:cheers:
J2F

jus2fat;3877244 AND... Relatives...are worse than strangers..!!! :cheers: J2F[/QUOTE said:
ain't that the truth, gotta lock every thing down when the rellos come knocking.

Like others have said.

I go with my saws and my saws run on NOTHING but my fuel mix and bar oil.
They can work with my schedule and will owe me some good import.

Friend or brother-in-law,,or both,,I'd remind him of the last thrashing he gave my equipment and to heck with 'im if he doesn't understand. I gave my twin brother my lil' 4 year old echo when I graduated to a bigger brush saw because we are good pals..and he knows why I gave it to him..(that man could tear up an iron skillet with a tooth-pick). He knows he aint borrowing my saws and he "gets it". He's a good man.

Aint no friends, family or politics when it comes to equipment borrowing.

Last edited:
well I am down with knee problems this weekend, otherwise I would have volunteered to be saw man. The wifey and I talked and agreed wed volunteer to loan him the homelite saw this next weekend and even go up and help him :D
Me and my better half had just talked about buying a cheap saw just for a loaner
That homelite was supposed to be a resale saw, but maybe it will end up a loaner I am sure it still has the not fast safety chain, which is perfect. I think the homelite's usually come with the tip guard as well to keep the kickback demons away.....only problem is it has vibe control, lol if I have to have a saw to loan it should cut slow enough and vibrate bad enough nobody wants to borrow it twice ;)

Last edited:
Loaning saws

I don't...sorry...I DO NOT loan my saw to anyone...If they have wood to cut I will go, with my saw, and help them...I run my saw...no one else does. I'll help anyone I know but I will not loan my saw. I don't have a loaner I'm not worried about....I only have one saw that I maintain. And I'm the only one that runs it. My ex-wife? Fine...borrow her...my guns, saw...forget it....you need help...call anytime...borrow it? No way...even though the people I trust would either fix or replace my saw were something to happen I just don't want to go thru that...and I know they would have to be desperate to even ask...They need help and ask, I'll be there for them...

Back