Local firewood prices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butch(OH)

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am amazed how high some of the firewood prices are that I see posted. Just happened to be multi tasking I.E. news paper and internet, LOL and here are your central Ohio prices fresh of the press. Pricing here usually includes delivery in county I am told, even if not specified in the ad.
Seasoned Cherry, Maple, Oak mixed $90 per cord.
Same split and delivered $95
Split wood $100 cord, $55 half
Slab $30 half cord
Grade A premium firewood $270 2 full cords, slab $150 ( highest prices I have ever seen here for firewood)

Butch is that for full or face cords? Here in Buffalo it ranges from $80-100 for face cords delivered of mixed hardwoods

Those are for a cord 4x4x8 or fractions or muliples of said cords, only legal way to sell firewood in Ohio. If usual price reductions take place in mid winter we will have $65 per cord firewood here in January, too much wood, too many cutt'en it.

Some wood dealer musta ripped off a politition (too bad) around here a few years ago because they hadda big crack down on selling "pick up load" "ricks" "face cords" etc. Sent the weights and measures people out in force to bust up the racket:buttkick: But they still can sell cottonwood, willow etc to the yups that dont know better, we need more regulations!!,, not.

Man, you can't even get truck length at those prices around here. A full cord of seasoned hardwood is going for $200-$250 cut split & delivered.

Vancouver, BC, Canada:

$175 - $500 CDN for a cord of split, mixed wood (soft/hard). delivered/stacked. Kindling free.

Seasoned hardwoods sell for much much more. People are willing to pay it too......

those are average prices, some guys sell by the truck load, some by the cord or 1/2 cord. You can also buy shrink wrapped split dried wood (mixed) $20 CDN for 10 - 14 pieces. :dizzy:

if i did'nt live in an apt building, i'd buy a splitter and a firewood bundler and sell packed wood to home depot or rona or CDN Tire.... :hmm3grin2orange:

My first firewood client in West Vancouver always get a 1/4 cord for $40 bucks, as thanks for getting me going. Everyone else get a 1/4 cord split dried mixed wood for 100 - 150, depending on the wood. kepp in mind thats all i can carry in my truck, without breaking the springs.....lol!

:cheers:

I sell firewood, and it's $85 a face for semi (like 3 months) seasoned oak and hickory that is split. I charge $225 a cord and people pay it like it's nothing - if i keep selling as much as I do - ill go 100 and 250 for face and cord respectively.

BTW - I am in NW Indiana/Chicago Suburbs, about 25 mi southeast of the city.

I pay 25 a cord for popalar and spruce chunks (knotted lower pieces 36 inches dia) 2 foot long.
8 foot lenths popalar about 85 a cord.
all the birch goes to guys cutting and splitting to sell for 225 to 350 a cord.
but i did get ahold of 5 cords of 8 foot birch for 300 delivered to my door.
this in in sask canada.
I did see a doofus buying 2 bundles of wood at a gas station for $12.95 each.

shayne

Firewood prices in Orygun

Here in the remotes of west Orygun seasoned split madrone and oak goes for $125-150 a cord. They are the best local firewood hardwoods with the highest density. OR law requires only fractions of or full cord sales. No face cords or ricks. In Portland you can get more like $175-200 for a cord of seasoned oak. In the SF bay area you can easilly get $300 for a cord of madrone and/or oak. Softwoods and lighter hardwoods go for less.

And the stuff grows on trees! ;)

Last edited:
$300/cord split,dried,delivered rural 100% oak
$375/cord s,d,d urban 100%oak

$125-250 for mixed hardwoods/softwoods cord

$95-115 face cord (4x8x16") oak rural

Some tree services clean their lots out with a summer special of one logtruck load (4-6 cords) of logs delivered for $300, no prime hardwood.

I'd love to have someone drop a truck or semi load of logs my way, especially burr oak after a land clearing operation, it's usually too crooked for a commercial splitting setup so it gets chipped, what a waste.

9 cord for $800 thats in the log form.... Sounds not to bad of price.

Around central Massachusetts, I've seen $175 up to $225 for a cord. I think they deliver but just dump it in driveway: stacking is usually extra.

Log trucks seem to be hard to locate, but I've heard $500 for a 6-8 cord load of logs.

Within 5 miles of my house, there are three separate firewood processor operations running with mountains of wood piled up, and those are just the ones I can see from the road. So, I guess it must be a reasonable business to be in.

Down in NJ where I work they will get close to and in some cases over $300 a cord for mixed/split and $400 for all hardwood/split. In the catskills figure $150 a cord mix/split and $200 hardwood/split

Wild $$$ variation

Amazing variation on firewood prices. Look on Craigslist in any given area... $400 and up in some places. $100 and less in others. We get all the wood we want for nothing here.

We have many mills around here and one has a firewood 'annex' with cull and end cut logs sitting outside seasoning. They do not sell anything locally. They have a saw and splitting operation in an open roofed area, and they cut and shrink-wrap bundels of Doug fir firewood and put them on pallets for shipping to grocery and hardware stores in the cities. At $3.99 a bundle (1 cu ft), that's $500 a cord! For medium grade firewood... :pumpkin2:

ghitch75 said:
here in southwestern IN you can get it all day long for 40 buc's a face cord. oak ash and hickory split:blob2:

That's low enough to justify the shipping cost if a guy could get a full 53' open top semi load up here.

My brother in law just sold about 10 cords split and stacked for 300.00 All hardwoods, seasoned. He is building a new house and is desperate for money. A man came along offered 300 and he took it. If that aint great, he is delivering it which he isnt charging anything for. If I would have known I would have bought it all. Makes me sick, and pi$$es me off.

^ damn man... you could have sold that wood for $5000 CDN in west Vancouver.....

laynes69 said:
My brother in law just sold about 10 cords split and stacked for 300.00 All hardwoods, seasoned. He is building a new house and is desperate for money. A man came along offered 300 and he took it. If that aint great, he is delivering it which he isnt charging anything for. If I would have known I would have bought it all. Makes me sick, and pi$$es me off.

With brains like that he'll be deperate for money forever. Kick him in the head for all of us. Ten cords of logs delivered would cost me $1000.

Back