Loctite 518- activator required?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody912

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
No 518 available locally,ordered some from Fastenal. Read the back when I picked it up and it describes using Loctite Klean N Prime on one surface and 518 on the other. Went to Loctite's web site and can't find anything on either product. Question is, does 518 require the activator when I am putting a jug back on top of he crank? Guys at Fastenal looked in their book/computer for 15 minutes and could not find any info. I found some Permatex red sealant at NAPA the other day, asked the guy about activator and he said "crap, we don't have any" Just trying to figure out how to put my 036 back together

The Permatex and Loctite brands are the same. No, you do not need the activator, but it does help make a stronger seal, especially in cooler temperatures. It also helps clean the surfaces for a better bond.

Sand both surfaces........clean with brake parts cleaner.......apply a thin layer. Assemble, and wait 12 hours before starting the saw.

Also, be careful not to get oil on the flange as you are assembling it. I rub just a little on the skirts, and a bit on the ring.

Sand both surfaces........clean with brake parts cleaner.......apply a thin layer. Assemble, and wait 12 hours before starting the saw.

Also, be careful not to get oil on the flange as you are assembling it. I rub just a little on the skirts, and a bit on the ring.

( I rub just a little on the skirts, and a bit on the ring. ) What are you saying??

He is saying he puts a little oil on the piston skirts and on the piston ring /rings. But do not get any of that oil on your mating surfaces when you put the jug back on the base...I think that's what he's saying anyway.

He is saying he puts a little oil on the piston skirts and on the piston ring /rings. But do not get any of that oil on your mating surfaces when you put the jug back on the base...I think that's what he's saying anyway.

Yes.......thanks for clearing that up. :rock:

Well I appreciate it Jeff.

My 8th grade education has made expressing myself thru a keyboard a little tough sometimes.......but I'm learning.

The Permatex and Loctite brands are the same. No, you do not need the activator, but it does help make a stronger seal, especially in cooler temperatures. It also helps clean the surfaces for a better bond.

Thank you for the help gentleman! I would have bet the farm Permatex was the same product but did not want to bet a chainsaw. Could have saved a bunch of $$ w/ the Permatex; live and learn. Also so discovered this is apparently not a Loctite product anymore, found it under some other company name on the net. Master mind, back when I worked in the steel mill some of the smartest guys I ever knew could not spell cat if you gave them the "c" and the "t", you're doing alright! You did have me concerned about putting sealant on the rings although I am considering putting some on the %$#@! circlips. Or maybe JB weld

Local parts house normally carries it. It's just anaerobic sealant. Commonly used product.

Henkel Corporation owns the locktite brand. Their technical help line is very good. I had an odd application for sealing and called them up and they were very helpful. The firm that makes the odd product insisted that locktite wouldn't work, whne I talked to Henkel they immediately asked if the primer was used. Apparently in some cases the primer is very critical to the bond so its not just cleaner. The client still decided not to use it

Back